Dukes of Hazzard on DVD

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightvision
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Dukes of Hazzard on DVD

Post by knightvision » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:50 pm

Looks like KR cant be too far away, can it?

Updating the news we brought you yesterday, today we have the full specs for the DVD set:

Aspect Ratio: Original Aspect Ratio - 1.33, Standard
Sound Quality: 1.0=Mono - English
Subtitles: English, Francais, Espanol, Closed Captioned
Number of Discs: 3
MSRP: $39.98
Run Time: 637

Special Features:
Commentary by John Schneider and Catherine Bach on "One Armed Bandits"
The 20th Anniversary Hazzard County Barbeque reunion documentary (30:00)
Dukes Driving 101: A High Octane Salute featurette including interviews with professional race car drivers (8:00)
The Dukes of Hazzard : The Return of the General Lee video game trailer

And now what you've all been waiting for, the box art:

http://216.218.203.229/news0/DukesS1.jpg

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:20 pm

Finally!! That set is gonna rock! Lots of entertainment value for our generation there!

SH

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:31 am

:shock: when does it come out :D
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:58 am

What is DoH about?

Tarmac
Rookie

Post by Tarmac » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:31 pm

Dave Knight wrote::shock: when does it come out :D
June 1, 2004. according to Hazzardnet.com

Kirin
Recruit

Post by Kirin » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:41 pm

KARR Engineer wrote:What is DoH about?
Well it was another car themed show from the 80's, aired on CBS, it came out before KR and during the early and mid 80's it was KR's chief rival. This is another one of those shows from the 80's that will bring a nostalgic smile to the face of any Gen Xer born in the 1970's.

It was a very goofy show that was set in the South, in fictional Hazzard County, and the stories revolved around Luke Duke and Bo Duke. They were cousins, and they lived with their cousin Daisy and Uncle Jessie. "The Duke boys" were involved in illegal moonshine, but that was the only offense they ever did. Otherwise the Dukes were very honest and upstanding family. Unfortunately they were always being chased by the corrupt county commissioner Boss Hogg and his bumbling sherrif and deputies like Roscoe Coltrane.

It was a VERY LIGHTHEARTED, happy, cheery series. It was a far more immature series then KR ever was. While KR tended to be written on a 9 year old to 14 or 15 year olds level, DoH was written on a 4 to 6 year old kids level, but adults could sit back and enjoy the outrageous stories, car stunts and fun characters. It was never meant to be taken seriously whatsoever. It did feature some outstanding car jumps and crashes though. I don't think anyone will disagree with me that DoH out did KR in this area.
Last edited by Kirin on Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:45 pm

Thanks for the explanation.

David Whiteheart
Operative

Re: Dukes of Hazzard on DVD

Post by David Whiteheart » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:45 pm

THE DUKES OF HAZZARD RIDES AGAIN JUNE 1, 2004!!!!
http://www.dewswebsite.com/DukesOfHazza ... azzard.WAV

Yeehaw!! I'm there when they hit the store shelves! I'll be playing my Dixie horn on my Taurus all the way home!!!! I know I'm a redneck and damn proud of it, and proud to be a NASCAR Dad as well!

I love it, I love it, I love it! *Does his best Roscoe P. Coltrane giggle*

This is a website I created when the Dukes were syndicated through TNN back in 1997: http://www.dewswebsite.com/DaisyDuke.html

Go Here for some Dukes sounds: http://www.dewswebsite.com/DukesOfHazzardSounds/

This sound byte is going to describe all of the Dukes fans when it comes out on DVD:
http://www.dewswebsite.com/DukesOfHazza ... waylon.wav

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:10 pm

Kirin wrote: It did feature some outstanding car jumps and crashes though. I don't think anyone will disagree with me that DoH out did KR in this area.
I don't think I would go THAT far. I happened to prefer KITT's urban jumps over the Duke's constant swamp-leaping.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Kirin
Recruit

Post by Kirin » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:06 am

^Well to me, swamps or urban, the car stunts on DoH seemed pretty real most of the time. KR's car stunts nearly always came across as phony, with model cars used a little too much.

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:56 am

... Hehe, Daisy Dukes :)

knightvision
Operative

Post by knightvision » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:52 am

Kirin wrote:^ KR's car stunts nearly always came across as phony, with model cars used a little too much.
Phony? Maybe you missed a little known fact that Jack Gill worked on both the Dukes of Hazzard and Knight Rider (DOH 1979-1982, KR 1982-1986) and I think most people would agree the early stunts on both shows were not done with models.

It was not until DOH entered its 5th season were model shots beginning to be used and it wasn't until late 3rd season on KR that model shots become more prominent.

In Indecent Little Town that jump is 100% real. Same with the jump for Whitebird, the crash for Goliath, the turbo boost through the truck in the pilot, the jump in Good Day at White Rock....Granted models were uses for Diamonds Arent A Girls Best Friend but Jack Gill did indeed do almost all the stunt work in those early years.

So telling us that DOH jumps in Season 1-3 were better then KR in Season 1-3 isnt possible since the same person designed those jumps and got better in my opinion as he perfected his art of jumping on KR.

I am a DOH and a KR fan. However as Mike pointed out, I like KITT's rural urban jumps better. They were far more riskier than those Jack did on DOH.

Richie

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:50 pm

Knight Rider may have had more power. That big 'KITT v/s General Lee' picture may have a hint of that.

David Whiteheart
Operative

Post by David Whiteheart » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:40 pm

I don't know how many TA's they wrecked in the 4 years of KITT, but in the 6 years of DoH they wrecked 300 Dodge Chargers!

John Schnieder and Tom Wopat, who played Bo and Luke Duke, left for a season because the show was getting too "cartoonish" with the model cars, and for the fact that they wanted a cut of the toy revenue as well.

The reason for the model cars was for the fact they had wrecked so many Chargers, allegedly 12 per episode, that the car was going extinct in CA. It got so bad that the producers of the show were going to super market and mall parking lots and leaving notes on people's wind shields asking if they can use their car for the show.

At least KR didn't do that. Instead they used a NASCAR type stock car for KITT and the credits even say "some cars provided by Pontiac." So they had use what they had.

Dave

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:27 am

It's good to see that Dukes is getting a release with extras and all, but sadly I don't think that the specs are what we will expect to see on a Knight Rider box set. (not saying anyone did, just what I'm assuming) A better example to compare the DVD to would be a release from the same company (universal). They are about to release Quantum Leap season 1 in June, and the only extra they have is menus with the voice of Ziggy. I think Universal really needs to pick up the slace compared to the other studios. Kudos for Warner Brothers for actually putting some effort into it.

http://bb.knightrideronline.com/viewtopic.php?t=4174

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:53 am

No, Universal are usually generous with extra features on dvd's. I'm not sure what they are like with their boxset's but KR might not have much material to go on in terms of extras. There's probably very little stock footage to put on dvd's. We can all say there is a lot but there might not.

Although that's not to say that Universal can't put together some new featurettes on how the car was driving itself or footage of how SPM was put together.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:13 pm

I don't think thats a fair claim to make. Universal is a lower level as far as extras are concerned when you compare it to someone like New Line. Look at the their "Law and Order" set, their There are some exceptions, like the Battlestar Galactica set had some good features, but generally they just don't seem to put the effort to things the way others do. I would think that Quantum Leap had a larger following than Battlestar Galactica (just by the number of seasons it ran) but yet QL gets a junkier treatment.

Also Universal doesn't have nearly as many TV Season collections like Fox does. Look at the extras they have on XFiles, the Simpsons or Buffy. They put together a very nice set and have the creators involvement in it. Short of the Battlestar set, there isn't prove (stateside) that Universal puts forth as much as an effort as the others.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:23 pm

I wasn't referring to boxsets, I was referring to individual dvd titles.

As I said, I don't know what they are like with boxsets. The only sets I've really bought are movie based sets, not tv ones.

In fact, Quantum Leap will be my first tv based set.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:24 pm

Okay, I may apologize for being so strong about the DVD lack of features, the site that reported that there was none is now reporting that there may be, and they aren't sure of what it is because Universal is releasing items piece by piece.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1233

Knight 'n' Day
Recruit

Post by Knight 'n' Day » Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:28 am

Seeing as that we have until June, I'd be hesitant to jump to any conclusions just yet. I know that QL has a fairly large following (myself included) so there is still some hope that Universal will do right by QL fans and KR when it decides to release it.

knightvision
Operative

Post by knightvision » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:30 am

According to Deborah Pratt who I keep close contact with she did voice overs for the menus. There are some extras apparently, but not much.

There are two discs in the set dual sided (thats one front and back for 5 episodes, another front for 3 episodes). So the back of the 2nd disc will feature some sort of extras.

I can try to find out more from Don's and Deborah's offices but Universal really isnt giving much to go on. Consider ourselves lucky we got to see the cover.

The DOH set looks fantastic. Cant wait to pick it up.

Richie