Kitt vs Karr

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

BRIT-KITT
Stranger

Kitt vs Karr

Post by BRIT-KITT » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:54 pm

Was watching said episode the other day and noticed Karr`s 2 tone colour.I`d always thought he was 2 toned all the way through right from the start.Wonder why they started Karr off as same colour as Kitt then changed it.Must admit much easier to work who was who in the head 2 head at the end,apart from Mickey being in the driver`s seat.
Any thoughts? :D

knightvision
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by knightvision » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:55 pm

Was watching said episode the other day and noticed Karr`s 2 tone colour.I`d always thought he was 2 toned all the way through right from the start.Wonder why they started Karr off as same colour as Kitt then changed it.
There is a scene that does not air in syndication that KARR in KITT vs KARR asks John to "alter his appearance". While it is implied, this is the only suggestion as to why KARR suddenly has a grey stripe (this is best explained to avoid confusion with KITT and not be confused with the "inferior production line model")

In Trust Doesn't Rust (which happens to be Mike Pajaro's favorite episode) KITT is the same color as KARR with the same red scanner. In KITT vs KARR, KARR's scanner is yellowish, which can be explained by its possible erosion in the sand, salt and water for several years.....
Must admit much easier to work who was who in the head 2 head at the end,apart from Mickey being in the driver`s seat.
Who's Mickey?....I say that only because there was a Knight Rider character (in Forget Me Not) whose name was Mickey...oh and KITT calls Micheal Mickey in Out of the Woods everytime he malfunctions....But just to not confuse anyone its Micheal or Mike :wink:

Richie

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: Kitt vs Karr

Post by jup » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:24 pm

BRIT-KITT wrote:Wonder why they started Karr off as same colour as Kitt...
Only one word needed as an answer, here...budget.

Trust Doesn't Rust was one of the first episodes and the show's budget was pretty well spent on car props. Since they had multiple KITT's floating around, they used a second one for the mirror image of KITT. (Being KARR.)

When they brought KARR back in KITT vs. KARR, there was a whole new season's worth of budget, which allowed the 'real vision' of KARR to be brought forth. (A few more excuses as to why would have been nice, but...alwell.)

BRIT-KITT
Stranger

Kitt vs Karr

Post by BRIT-KITT » Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:43 am

Thanx for the replies knightvision & jup.Forgot about that episode called Out of the woods in which Kitt called him Mickey.From now I`ll call him Micheal.I guess at the end of the day it was all down to budget like jup said.

Christine Silver
Recruit

Post by Christine Silver » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:17 am

I must point out that it was very nice the two cars having the same color. It brought out the idea that they're the same kind. However, they proved to be different. Ever thought about how fascinating this is: KARR doesn't want to be like his "brother", so his appearance changes.

And they say, KARR's programming is primitive... Grr!

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:34 am

Any idea why there are no KITT-KARR encounters in this episode? The 2 machines had quite a lot to say about each other in Trust Doesn't Rust, that Tony got sick of their family reunion! Compare that with KITT v/s KARR, you will notice that KARR just makes one mild statement to KITTT, then Michael is seen talking to KARR!

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:02 am

knightvision wrote:
Was watching said episode the other day and noticed Karr`s 2 tone colour.I`d always thought he was 2 toned all the way through right from the start.Wonder why they started Karr off as same colour as Kitt then changed it.
There is a scene that does not air in syndication that KARR in KITT vs KARR asks John to "alter his appearance". While it is implied, this is the only suggestion as to why KARR suddenly has a grey stripe....

....In KITT vs KARR, KARR's scanner is yellowish, which can be explained by its possible erosion in the sand, salt and water for several years.....
Isn't it also possible that John also altered the color of the "lens" for KARR's scanner? Maybe the lens is tinted, and it can be popped off and replaced, or maybe there's a color filter behind the lens that can be replaced. Just a thought.

Knightwolf
Volunteer

KARRs dash in KvK

Post by Knightwolf » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:07 pm

At least they used the first season dash in KvK, the writers must have been planing to bring KARR back when they started filming the 3rd season because they kept a copy of the first season dash around. It's was kinda nice to see that attention to detail, espically since there were many times when major mistakes were made.

Knightwolf,

PS: Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasnt there a scene in a 3rd season ep where KITT has a season 1-2 dash?

~Michael Knight~
Volunteer

I liked this ep'...Oo

Post by ~Michael Knight~ » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:53 pm

KARR was an interesting negative of KITT, and it just seems a shame that he only had two episodes.

I have yet to see Trust Doesn't Rust, and am curious to see what KARR's initial role was. :D

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: I liked this ep'...Oo

Post by jup » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:49 pm

~Michael Knight~ wrote:KARR was an interesting negative of KITT, and it just seems a shame that he only had two episodes.
Agreed. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense that at the end of that episode, they totally left KARR's return as potential...then never ran with it in either of the following seasons.

Oh, but how fan fiction writers ran with that potential...

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:07 pm

I think the ending was meant to be taken as a lighthearted moment, not necessarily made to setup another sequel.

In some audio commentaries for films, you get director's saying how their endings were meant to be taken with a pinch of salt, not to do another follow up.

So, when I see the ending, that's what I do.

that's my take.

Besides, wouldn't it get tedious having a 3rd episode based on the same concept?

They needed to do different things with the show and I agree with that.

The centre piece of the show was KITT...having KARR in there 3 or more times would have detracted from the main hero car so they probably decided to make KARR memorable with the two episodes but at the same time, not have the majority of audiences take a fancy to KARR as much as KITT.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;