Conversion Community Status after KR Movie This Year

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Vchat20
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Conversion Community Status after KR Movie This Year

Post by Vchat20 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:03 am

I got to ask. if they use a new car for KITT in the movie coming out this year, how do you think the conversion community would react? would they immediately give up converting old '82 trans am's and go to the new model? or do you think they would wait a while and then start on the new model?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:19 pm

I highly doubt they would give up making the original and the best, primarily because that is how many fandoms go even when they have been modified. The original will always come first, the newer second.

A perfect example of this is Knight Rider 2000 and TKR. There are few if very many replicas from that show, because people are still more interested in doing the original. The same even applies to the SPM model. 1 person versus several.

There will probably be a few with the dough who will try to do the newer one, but the original conversionists, will most likely continue to stick with the originals.

KI

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:30 pm

knightimmortal wrote:The original will always come first, the newer second.

KI
You sound like you have already condemned the newest KITT long before you have even seen it. So what if all the KR cars that have come don't stack up. Doesn't mean the movie KITT deserves such a projected judgement.

I hope most old time fans don't have such a closed mind. Else, what is the point. Might as well have a stagehand hold up a sign that says K.I.T.T. during every scene in the movie. :roll:

Vchat20
Operative

Post by Vchat20 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:55 pm

thats pretty much what i guessed. this was mainly for debate reasons. number one reason may very well be cost. the new model would most definitely be brand spankin' 2004 new. so most likely the people doing replicas wont have the money to pay for a brand new car. not to mention buying it just to tear apart. so yeah, original will most likely keep going for a while longer. than when the new model gets old and forgotten, the KR replica enthusiasts will start replicating it.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:45 pm

A lot will depend on what kind of car KITT looks like. One of the reasons why there are so many KITT replicas out there is frankly because the '82 Trans Am is a fairly inexpensive, easy-to-find car. If the new KITT was based on a Ferrari or was a complete original (such as the batmobile), it will be much more difficult to make replicas.

Product placement is huge for movies, and my guess (just a guess) is that the car manufacturer who lands the role for KITT is going to want only minor modifications made to the exterior of the car; they're going to want to make sure the car is as recognizable as possible.

People are more likely to make replicas from a TV show than a movie, because the car is seen a lot more on TV (90 hours of episodes vs. 2 hours of movies.) But if the movie is a hit, it could boost sales of that car model and then those people may start to do varying degrees of replicas.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:33 pm

I, for one, wouldn't want to see a variation of the Batmobile made for the new KITT. Of course, the exterior of the Knight Two Thousand should maintain the "undercover 'of course, I'm just a regular automobile'" look. But, nothing cheap. TKR found the right words to say with Dante's "...I'm an economy vehicle!" line. (I hope that was it, word for word. Probably mentioned the brand name Ford, to boot. (Which is super funny. As the TKR cars WERE Fords. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.))

Now, I've always envisioned that the dash should be a sort of poly-morphic wrap monitor dash with touch sensitive screen. But, they probably won't go that way. (As long as they don't just go with an in-dash TV...and that is it. Been done to death.)

d_osborn
Operative

Post by d_osborn » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:01 pm

i also think that if the movie were to go into production, a production vehicle would be used. as for what it would be.... i guess that would be determined by the highest bidder....

of course, if the film is a restart (and it more that likely will be) there ARE some ways to work the orig. KITT into a script, and still have a new car.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:28 pm

I know I won't be jumping at the chance to do one. KARR is adding up to quite a bit as it is! Unless maybe if they use this so-called 5th gen T/A that GM is secretly working on, cause regardless if it is the new KITT or not I'll be getting one or die trying :).

I honestly see maybe a split in the community. Kinda like old school vs new school. If KITT is some trendy accessable import car that seems to be the craze these days, a lot of the younger people might be inclined to get one and trick it out in KITT fashion.

It may become a generational thing also. People growing up and recognizing KITT as only the car selected for the movie and not the old dinosaur from Detroit that went extinct several years ago.

Heck, my girlfriend never knew Han Solo existed. To her Star Wars only has two films and is all about that Anakin kid. She was blown away when I showed her episode IV-VI!
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:18 pm

jup wrote:
knightimmortal wrote:The original will always come first, the newer second.

KI
You sound like you have already condemned the newest KITT long before you have even seen it. So what if all the KR cars that have come don't stack up. Doesn't mean the movie KITT deserves such a projected judgement.

I hope most old time fans don't have such a closed mind. Else, what is the point. Might as well have a stagehand hold up a sign that says K.I.T.T. during every scene in the movie. :roll:
WTF???

I didn't condemn a damn thing, jup, I was saying that as patterns go, according to the topic, the old car will always be the one that people will try to create. I wasn't condemning a damn thing, and if anybody has a closed mind, it is you.

HOW DARE YOU!

If you are going to go wild and dramatic and gripey against my opinions, don't insult me while doing it. I haven't shot down a damn thing, that seems to be your specialty, so don't go trying to label me with that crap.

What the hell is your problem, jup?

KI

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:17 pm

I think you may want to re-read what he said a little more carefully KI, I don't think jup meant it that way. Either the dramatics end, or this thread will end.
Last edited by neps on Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:20 pm

I did read what he posted carefully, and re-read it, did you?

Oh, and gee, NOW you are moderating.

Is Mike sending notes too?

I'm sorry I lashed out, but it was not right of jup to call me those things, especially accusing me of things that I am not. I also do not need you, Neil, telling me what to read. I read it just fine, and some of the things jup said were out of line. And now, you were out of line, but it seems like the only person you can moderate against is me, and then you call me dramatic, when I am not.

KI
Last edited by knightimmortal on Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lofer
Rookie

Post by lofer » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:16 pm

I think that if the new movie has a good, non expensive car, and EASY to transform, maybe the new car take an advantage... But I wanna make the 2 conversions!!! :lol: :lol:
http://www.elcochefantastico.net

... un hombre que no existe en un mundo lleno de peligros ...

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:52 pm

admit it jup.. people will always want to create the original KITT.

KITT
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:01 am

Right... KITT is KITT to me... Thats for sure... (oh and I wasn't talking about you KITT ;) )

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:13 am

Id want to do the original first and foremost. Then someday perhaps go on to the other one. Ive already got a T/A and working on a Kitt conversion as we speak.