Two sites saying new KR movie may not happen!

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: James Bond in the 80's

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:19 pm

I think I would feel a little bit more comfortable if somebody a little bit more mature, and who was alive and aware during the original Knight Rider run to pass judgment on whether a movie or a new show should be made.

I was alive when Knight Rider was on starting with NOBODY DOES IT BETTER (Original Airdate: April 29, 1983). Only was nowhere to be found the first seven months of the series. I have been around for two whole decades and am only two months away from the legal age.
I wasn't just referring to you, but since you brought it up, it doesn't matter if you are a few months away from legal age, you keep saying it yourself that you need to grow up, and I do whole heartedly agree with that. And please note, I said 'alive and aware'. Being just born, doesn't make you aware of the show and the world around it back then.

The rest of your post was just standard backpedalling. I do think it needs to be noted, however, that when on a public message board, just because YOU like or don't like something does not mean that others think the same way, and you sort of need to learn how to take that into account.

KI

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:48 pm

I emailed the David Hasselhoff online Fan Club about the rumors. While they never answered that particular question directly they sent a newsletter clip talking about how David was discussing his Knight Rider Movie plans with Universal Studios.

So David hasn't given up on it for sure, however should one assume by this news that Revolution is out of the picture? Its possible I guess.

Personally I think Universal Studios would deserve to be involved I mean Knight Rider was originally their baby anyway. I just hope it would still be a continuation if they were involved instead of a remake.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:54 pm

It's not news. It's a rumor, that parts and pieces have come from the board, and from somebody's creative mind. Revolution isn't out of it. Universal is still not out of it either. Revolution is the invovled production company, Universal would still be a central distributor.

But it's not real, it's just another rumor as has been brought up on page one.

KI

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:12 pm

From the continual KR jokes and references Hasselhoff has made since KR ended, and the fact that he does seem to genuinely love the show's core concepts, I seriously doubt that he would talk something up like he did with this movie, only to let it fall apart. David seems quite committed to making it happen, so I think it will happen, sooner or later.

My only complaint is that it's dragging on and on. I know that it takes time, but this one seems to be taking more time than most films, especially just for script-writing and pre-production. But hey, that could just be me. I do think, however, that the optimum time for release would be before the 80s nostalgia trend runs out. I'm afraid they'll wait too late.

Of course, from a fan's perspective, the time doesn't matter so much, just as long as it is released some time. My hope, though, is that KR will again enter into the public conscience, and box office success would help bring that about.

DK

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:20 am

I really don't mind the wait.

It gives me more time to bankroll the cash for the new car they chose for KITT (that is unless KARR is in it, then I would get that one :) ).
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

Vchat20
Operative

Post by Vchat20 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:45 am

Darknight wrote:Of course, from a fan's perspective, the time doesn't matter so much, just as long as it is released some time. My hope, though, is that KR will again enter into the public conscience, and box office success would help bring that about.
i completely agree. it'd be nice to see this movie come out a blockbuster hit. and think of it this way, if it does become a huge hit, more the better to do a continuation of the tv show. so its a win/win here. i just hope that whoever is actually producing the movie does a good job on it and doesnt screw it up. but being a fan, i dont care as long as im able to see it.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:43 am

Im hoping to get my conversion well under way by the movie's release. Our area still has a Drive Inn Movie theatre. Id love to take my finished conversion there to see the movie. That would definitely turn heads. Some people come in late. Imagine arriving with just the scanner light going driving around while the movie is going on.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:40 pm

There are many cars that would work. But as opposed to KR2000, they should keep it black. Or at least a very deep color. Personally, I like the new Trans Ams. Simply as a car, I like them much better. As KITT...I dunno, but i don't think it would be bad.

I don't think they should start from scratch. I say they build from the existing storyline, BUT they should ignore Knight Rider 2000. That was supposed to start a series that didn't happen and...it was bad. So they should ignore that but build on the story from the series.

IT's true, this is the best time to bring it back. The focus is always on two decades before for the media. I remember in the 90s the radio played everything 70s. IN the 80s it was the 60s, in the 70s, the 50s. for 2000s, the focus is on the 1980s. And I think that's been pretty true. Radio stations are heavy on the 80s recently, I've seen more references to Knight RIder all over the TV then I've ever noticed before (I may just not have been payign attention before.)

Will he do it? I dunno, like everyone has been saying there's rumors going both ways. I do know that Hasselhoff has been trying to resurrect the franchise ever since it went off the air. And hasn't seemed to give up flop after flop. So I don't think he will drop it. (I wish he's stop with his tours and albums though. If you ask me...he isn't very good.)
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Vchat20
Operative

Post by Vchat20 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:40 pm

i could care less for DH's albums to tell you the truth. no offense to him. hes a very good actor if you ask me. but, if he would stop his albums and touring for just a year or two, it would give ample time for him to take more action in the movie and help it get out sooner without slacking on quality. i just wish he would play MK though. i couldnt see anyone else playing MK. and to tell you the truh, ive seen pics of Ashton Kutcher and he just doesnt look like a MK to me.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:45 am

I was watching the League of Extradinary Gentelmen and the guy that playes Tom Sawyer struck me as being a good MK.

I don't recall the actors name and apoligize if someone else had already mentioned him.

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:58 am

Army_F_Body wrote:I was watching the League of Extradinary Gentelmen and the guy that playes Tom Sawyer struck me as being a good MK.

I don't recall the actors name and apoligize if someone else had already mentioned him.

Shane West.

I know his sister, Sam.

Don't ask. lol

The Real Michael Knight
Operative
Location: Championing the cause of the innocent, the helpess, the powerless

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:59 am

I sure hope they ignore Knight Rider 2000. That was awful! Even Glen Larson said he didn't like it right? Didn't he say something like "The auidiance was there, but the concept wasn't."?

Nexus
Recruit

Post by Nexus » Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:22 am

Army_F_Body wrote:I was watching the League of Extradinary Gentelmen and the guy that playes Tom Sawyer struck me as being a good MK.

Hehe...kind of a coincidence: http://www.knightrideronline.com/phpbb/ ... php?t=3525 :)

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:29 am

Cool find Nexus. My girlfriend's mother got it for Christmas, where I saw it.

I'm gonna have to get it from her to see that!

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:29 am

Disney has acquired the pitch King of the Gods, from screenwriter Sid Quashie for studio-based Mayhem Pictures to produce. Independent producer A.J. Marcantonio, who developed the idea with Quashie, will also produce with Mayhem's Gordon Gray and Mark Ciardi.

The film, an epic fantasy adventure in a similar spirit to Excalibur, explores how the young god Zeus discovers his destiny to overthrow his father and become ruler of the Earth and heavens.

Gray and Ciardi conceive of the project as a natural trilogy that incorporates the different parts of Greek mythology -- when Zeus becomes king of the gods at the end of part one, how the gods rule in the second and how they are ultimately taken down by their own greed and blunders in the third.

Hmm. If memory serves, aren't Mayhem Pictures supposed to be the producers working on the new Knight Rider movie? :?

That project above looks like a five year project at least to me.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:14 am

Good memory. Revolution Studios is the primary studio behind the Knight Rider movie, and Mark Ciardi and Gordon Gray of Mayhem Pictures were set to produce the film with Glen Larson. (as reported in Daily Variety, April 13 2003).

I don't know how the final credits wil read, but it could be something like "Revolution Studios presents a Mayhem Pictures film" or something along those lines.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:36 am

I see, thanks Mike. I get the impression though, that this is a relatively small production team. Maybe even just the two of them.

Do you think they are able to do several projects at once? :?

SWerni
Rookie

Post by SWerni » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:33 pm

So now just 3 days left... David will be back here in Germany and if I get the chance I will exactly ask him about the movie... I will take my taperecorder with me to get it for you all... hope that will work..

I didn´t get all the posts but I´v read them now... I have seen David here in Munich... I didn´t say a word he saw me, just began to talk - talk about Knight Rider, his future Plans with the Movie maybe a Series AND he still knows how much Knight Rider did for him... while he was talking his eyes were sparkling - he was like a kid waiting for christmas...

On Friday they Tape a "Happy Birthday" Show for the german TV Channel RTL which broadcasted Knight Rider for the first time over here... I hope I find someone to tape this to show you how much Knight Rider means to him... HE IS JUST HERE to talk about Knight Rider not his Album or something else... just Knight Rider.. so make up your mind ... keep up the wishes.. and I believe, David will do the right thing - whatever he will do...

Greets Sandra

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:27 pm

The guy I'm buying my nose from will have his replica there for David to ride in during that Birthday deal.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:41 pm

Sith wrote:I see, thanks Mike. I get the impression though, that this is a relatively small production team. Maybe even just the two of them.

Do you think they are able to do several projects at once? :?
This is going to be 75% speculation and 25% educated guess:

As I understand it, Mayhem Pictures is a Disney-based company. Big Studios will create a lot of miniature small companies so that they can be protected financially if the movie flops or has problems. I can't think of any off-hand, but sometimes the name of the company will be the same name as the movie: something like "Ishtar: A Ishtar Productions Release".

Mayhem Pictures may have a small staff, but when they go into production they bring together all the best indpendent workers in Hollywood. A production company doesn't need a team of stunt drivers or explosives experts on their permanent payroll.

Mayhem Pictures did "The New Guy" and "The Rookie", which were both moderate successes for their genres. (Ironically, or perhaps it was destiny, Hasselhoff has a brief cameo in The New Guy.)

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:52 pm

Interesting. :) Well, guess we'll have to keep our ears open then. We may be able to catch them doing location recces for the new KR movie. hehe

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:35 pm

I found out a little more about Mayhem Pictures... In addition to the Knight Rider movie they have an "Untitled Tony Hawk project" in development. I have no idea what that means. It could be a documentary, an action film about a skate-boarding secret agent, or an IMAX romance for all I know.

This doesn't give us any info about Knight Rider, but it will be frustrating if we start seeing ads for the Tony Hawk film first.

David Whiteheart
Operative

Post by David Whiteheart » Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:58 am

Hell Mike he's the BIG fad this day in time in skate boarding and even has several video games out with his name and likeness in the games.

I'd like to see KITT on the big screen, but I'd like to see him in a Trans Am and if David plays Michael that's great. He claimed he was going to just in a "Devon" type role and have a new guy drive the car. How about the guy who plays Superman off of Smallville as the new MK?

It's also been rumored that the movie was going to be fashioned in a way that the "Fast and the Furious" crowd can enjoy it.

Dave

SWerni
Rookie

Post by SWerni » Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:55 pm

Hi..

I had the chance to ask David about the Movie... THEY are working on the Movie.. and he won´t quit this project... so we just have to wait a little bit... David is now on his way home...

I will update you with news asap...

Sandra

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:33 pm

Thank You Thank You Thank You Sandra. Ive been on pins and needles hoping to get an update on the movie since this rumor story broke. The thought of the movie fallen through was eating away at me. Ive been dying for this since 1995. Id be crushed if the project died. Looking forward to your next update. Again thanks for letting us know the GREAT NEWS.