a Question about KITT replicas and the law

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

TheQuestion
Volunteer

a Question about KITT replicas and the law

Post by TheQuestion » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:23 pm

I realize every state town and city is different...

however, I would like to know what are various people's experiences regarding the scanner bar and the police?

I know cops in most localities are fairly uptight about civilians having blue or red lights on a car
in some places it's illegal no matter what
in some places it's not so clear cut

maybe those of you with replicas, or with knowledge of the law can shed some light on this?

:kitt:

Avenger95
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: a Question about KITT replicas and the law

Post by Avenger95 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:03 pm

I believe its just best to play it safe by only using the scanner for show and to keep it off while driving.

If you have the KARR amber colored scanner, you could use them legally as front turn signals. A White colored scanner could be legally used as secondary lighting in use with your standard headlights.

Any other color...well, might as well have a bumper sticker that says "I HATE COPS".
...... []Knight Avenger Guardian Enforcer[] ......

AZKNIGHT
Recruit

Post by AZKNIGHT » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:26 pm

I agree with Avenger95...it's better to be safe than sorry.

I had a previous replica that got me in a lot of heat for running the scanner. A motorcycle cop cited me for it, along with a few other things. I had to go to court and still lost...it resulted in them making me remove it completely. The judge wouldn't even allow it to be on the car as his interpretation was that having a red light on the front was illegal whether or not it was lit.

Essentially, the more you fight it and try to prove a point about legalities, the more they throw the book at you. Now with my new replica, it will only be turned on when the vehicle is parked/not moving or on private property.
Long live Knight Rider! Check out my conversion in progress at [url]http://www.azknightindustries.com[/url].

TheQuestion
Volunteer

Post by TheQuestion » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:50 pm

hmmm... interesting

what counties/jurisdictions do you guys have experience with?
and please, anyone who has anything to add, feel free

it would be a neat trick to play if you can get the light bar to change colors like some LEDS do

you know why I pulled you over?

uhh no officer

you have an illegal red light

who me? nahh this one is green...seee :lol:
maybe your mind is playing tricks on you sir

okay you're under arrest

and the question arises, what if it were a functional device, like an array of infrared cameras?
at certain angles, and at night infrared lights have a red glow/halo

maxwellmilian
Recruit

Post by maxwellmilian » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:14 pm

as far as red lights go, i always made my scanner removeable, but i replaced it with a metal strip painted bright red. that way, if i ever would have a cop pull me over( smartass that i am ) id tell any cop/ judge that if they didn't shut up, i'd paint the entire car red, nevermind the red strip.
there was one sheriffs deputy where i'm from that was always overstepping his bounds til he tried to make trouble with the red strip, so I started pointing to cars that were entirely red, and said "why are you messing with me when those guys have entire cars that are red? looks like you got a busy day ahead of you!"
actually happened, and i'lI simply left him with his mouth open.

on the more serious side, we, as a group, are driving cop magnets regardless of scanners. i may be over the road right now, but there will come a day...
and when it does, i'll do the unimaginable; my car will also be loaded with audio/video recording devices. i also intend to transmit these home and to another undisclosed location. the home will also transmit to the undisclosed locale, too.

extreme?

you don't know the cops in my home town.

then again one man can make a difference, and in my neck of the woods i fully intend to be that man.

so i pose this question-- if a cop is going to do that to someone he really dosen't know, what is he capable fo doing to those he does? do you want him out on the streets? we are already a crazy bunch, we have spent fortunes on our cars. why not do the unthinkable and give them reason to pause next time they lay eyes on the greatest law enforcement vehicle ever conceived, even if it was fictitious?

Rainack
FLAG Recruit

Post by Rainack » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:00 am

I have the scanner bar in the front grill of my GMC. I don't have it turned on when I'm driving. It's recessed into the grill, so I don't think it's super noticable. I've driven by sherriffs and CHP several times, and they've never seemed to bat an eye, so I don't think they've noticed it.
To read my fanfictions, go to fanfiction.net and search for my screen name, Rainack.

jason1973tl
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by jason1973tl » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:33 pm

I just put a light in my car. I plan to play it safe and only turn it on to show off at shows and such. Driving down the street is just asking for trouble. Here in Ohio you cannot have red or blue lights on front of the car, and you can't have moving lights anywhere on the car. Unless they are somehow used for turn signals. :kitt2:

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:22 pm

I don't turn on my scanner while I'm driving, and have driven by many police cars in my area without a problem. The police in my area are cool and used to seeing "show cars" as they have a car show once a week here during the summer months.

Chris

Nicholas Knight
Operative

Post by Nicholas Knight » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:51 pm

I have a Pontiac Sunfire, which I have modified with attachments, including a dual scanner. The laws around my area act VERY different about it. In one city, I have had a state trooper follow me to a gas station, which he jokingly asked me, "Does it talk?" But in another nearby city, one stopped me even though my scanner wasn't on and said to me "You better never have that scanner on in my area!"
Knight Tech Inc. -- Where everyone makes a difference.

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit

Post by krrdr2010 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:01 pm

I don't think Law Enforcement would have a problem with a scanner light in the hood. Most have their police lights on the roof. :D :good:

Nicholas Knight
Operative

Post by Nicholas Knight » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:06 pm

Unfortunately, law enforcement considers the scanner "a public distraction" which could cause wrecks, etc. But if they aren't on, most of the times they dont stop u. Just don't forget to cut em off when you hit the road!!! Trust me, I've done that before as well!!! lol
Knight Tech Inc. -- Where everyone makes a difference.

TheQuestion
Volunteer

Post by TheQuestion » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:29 am

fascinating replies. thank you guys, please keep them coming. it's interesting to learn of the experiences people have with this iconic feature.

maxwellmilian, I believe I may have a solution for you

this guy installed a multi camera DVR system in his car
he provides a complete walk-through:
http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77627" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

he even busted a few dealership techs who took it on a joyride when it was in the shop for service

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfwfSzbr5Ac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it shouldn't be too hard to wire a system like this to upload video on command,
maybe through your phone's internet connection using a service like http://qik.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

make some of KITT's buttons functional :mrgreen:

2knight
Rookie

Post by 2knight » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:20 am

I've actually had more problems with car inspectors than the police -- either because of the scanner, the tinted taillights, or the non-stock dash. Usually before car inspections, I've just removed or covered anything I thought would be an issue and put it back on again after. I'm actually relieved now that the car is an antique and I don't need to get inspections as long as I'm running antique tags. I've just got to get a new engine before I can put it back on the road.

I've usually played it safe by not running the scanner while driving. Occasionally I've run it at night on deserted country roads just for fun, but that's it.

I have had a few funny incidents with the police, though usually when I tell them that it's a Knight Rider replica they're good sports about things.

Once I was pulled over while driving down the interstate because the policeman wondered what all the lights were on my dash, but he was fine with things when I explained the Knight Rider thing. .

Another time near Christmas I had lunch at a restaurant and then went shopping at the music store next door. They were in adjoining parking lots so I just left the car in the restaurant parking lot. When I got back there was a policeman waiting and he said someone from the restaurant had reported the car as a possible terrorist because of the tv in the dash and the backup camera I had that was visible in the back window. I explained that it was a Knight Rider replica and that was my backup camera. The policeman told me he thought as much and just not to run the tv while driving.

Once the car attracted attention at a rest stop and a few policeman wanted to check my glove compartment -- apparently they were looking for drugs. When they didn't find any they asked about the dash and I told them it was like in Knight Rider, and they really got a kick out of the car.

I think my funniest incident was with security at an airport. I was running late to pick up a friend shortly after 9-11 when airport security was supposed to be really high. When they wanted to look in my trunk I thought I was going to be there awhile. I had the rear view camera and a power center I'd made with lots of wires hanging out of it. I also had a pipe under the front bumper made to look like the CO2 port or a rocket launcher. The security guard waved me on through with no trouble at all and said the car was "cool" like Knight Rider.

With my KI3T I think I'm going to be alot more subtle about any visible features - both to avoid police problems and to avoid possible theft.

LCBenson
Recruit

Post by LCBenson » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:04 pm

I'd go with what they said about keeping it off while driving. And if your car's black, it'll just blend in when it's off anyway. I'm 13, yes, but I WILL make my very own Kitt replica, and I don't give a rip with what they say, I. Am. Putting. A. Scanner. On. The. Hood!!! Though where I live, the cops are all idiots anyway; why not let them enjoy the pretty lightshow!
If I am destroyed, so shall you be.

Avenger95
Operative

Post by Avenger95 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:45 am

I know its a bit out of the way for some, but I came up with a blueprint for my up-and-coming replica that shows where certain lights will be as well as their color. I then took it straight to the police department and talked to the Sheriff about it. He thought it was a bit odd I would go through so much to ensure my legality but understood. I had to make a slight adjustment to my exhaust lights and side mirror turn signals, but other than that he said as long as the scanner is off while driving with exception of car shows/parades, and the underglow is not a strobe, then I am all good to go.

The main issue was whether or not lights would be a distraction to myself or other drivers and if I could be mistaken as an emergency vehicle. All I said to him was that once the digital dash is installed, I might have the "amazement distraction" for about a week or two, then I should be alright. He actually said he would be checking in on my project to see how things are going!
...... []Knight Avenger Guardian Enforcer[] ......

buckolaci
Recruit

Post by buckolaci » Wed May 19, 2010 6:07 pm

Hey guys, how about the steering wheel? Anybody got caught yet with the KR steering wheel? I don't think it's legal in most states.
:dash:
One man can make a difference