Origin of KITTS Tire Screeching Sound Effect

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

keonjenkins
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Origin of KITTS Tire Screeching Sound Effect

Post by keonjenkins » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:03 pm

Hey does anyone know the origin of KITTS start-up and tire screeching sound effect. By start-up I mean engine only not the start up sequence itself. Its constantly used in the series. I remember that they used it alot in the Rockford Files in the 70s. But the earliest I can place it was in a scene where Sidney Poiteir was being chased by some bad guys in a Plymouth in the movie " In the Heat of the Night" which i believe dated back to 1966 or 67. DOes anyone know who created that sound effect?

DLAspider
Rookie

Re: Origin of KITTS Tire Screeching Sound Effect

Post by DLAspider » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:02 pm

Maybe I'm not understanding the question completely or something, but first, I don't think the "gunning the engine" and squealing the tires is an added sound effect, and secondly,it would not be something created for movies or tvs, it would be a sound heard since cars had rubber tires and powerful engines.

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by tamatt27 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:07 pm

I know what you're talking about keonjenkins. Unfortunatly, I don't know the answer to your question. The car door slam is another sound effect that was used in the Rockford Files.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit

Post by stelios_z28 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:15 am

everything in knight rider was a sound effect!even the door knob was a sound effect...it was so "plastic" sound even thought kitt's knobs was metal like all trans ams!also the start up engine was something between a harley davidson and a big block chevy...you can hear that in the episode knightmoves when michael starts kitt in order to push mad dog's tractor.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:12 am

I think in original Bionic Woman the engine start and leaving with tires screeching sound effect was also used at least sometimes.
My dad had once an 1988 Opel Kadett and opening & closing the front doors made a sound which always reminded me of KITT's door sounds. Well, both KITT & that Opel were 1980's GM products anyway ;)

k.i.t.t2k
Volunteer

Post by k.i.t.t2k » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:18 pm

yeah always makes me laugh when kitts tires screech .. when he is offroad on dirt or gravel

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:07 pm

k.i.t.t2k wrote:yeah always makes me laugh when kitts tires screech .. when he is offroad on dirt or gravel
That was something they did on Dukes of Hazzard as well. 90% of the high speed chase scenes were on dirt roads, yet the tires were always screeching on take offs and spin outs. It's almost as hilarious as the scenes in Airplane when they show the airliner jet from the outside, but have the sound of a prop plane.