NBC purposely set out to do only 1 season?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

NBC purposely set out to do only 1 season?

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:29 am

Does anyone else think that NBC Universal purposely set out to do just 1 season of kr? How did the bionic woman do in ratings? Maybe they just wanted to test out revisions of classic 80's shows to see how well they would do against other tv shows?

RenanrRinaldi
Recruit

Re: NBC purposely set out to do only 1 season?

Post by RenanrRinaldi » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:47 am

Maybe they don't want to work too hard to get a show to succeed. They trow it and see if it becomes a big hit. I don't, they cancel it and try again.
Mike: Next time, calculate faster.
KITT: Were you injured?
Mike: No
KITT: Then my calculations were fast enough.

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:32 pm

I don't think they wanted to do just one season. I wouldn't imagine that they use that method of thinking.

They try something and see how the ratings do; it's it's successful, it continues. It if isn't, it's cancelled. NBC has no special interest in KR or any other shows; they're running a business, and as such NBC will follow a business model. It's only logical. It is possible that they have considered airing revisions of 80s shows, but they would only do this from a business standpoint - will it be successful and garner profit? If not, it will not last.

Bionic Woman had very low ratings and did not finish a season. There's a wikipedia article on it.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:46 pm

lunchmeat wrote:Bionic Woman had very low ratings and did not finish a season. There's a wikipedia article on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionic_Wom ... _TV_series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The long and short of BW is that it had a troubled start, and a long developmental hell period. The original showrunner left it, and it never righted itself. It also had to deal with unfair comparisons to the original. I enjoyed it, and wished that they would have continued.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:01 am

Gee,unfair comparisons to the original.Wonder what that's like.Maybe its all the complaining people did about how it wasn't enough like the original that was just 1 of the factors that killed kr.

If the ratings is what really mattered than didn't they notice kr did far better than any show they tried to replace it with?Wish we could sit down a nbc exec and just have each and every member of this forum interogate him with all our questions.Is water torture legal yet?

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:58 pm

I think that NBC Universal did not set out for KR08 to last only one season, I think that the original concept or idea for the show probably did not get executed properly because too many people had their own visions of what they wanted KR08 to be. The same happened with TOS by the time it reached the last half of "Season 3" & "Season 4". But nevertheless, I still enjoy both TOS & KR08 and I hope that with some sort of miracle that "KR08" might return for a 2nd Season either on NBC or SCI-FI or on some other network, if whoever (The Network Powers that be) has seen KR08 realizes the "Great Potential" this show has.
Stealthwalker aka "Tha Lone Crusader"

"We Meet Again". As quoted by Garthe Knight in "Goliath & Goliath Returns"