KRC Book Piracy?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

KRC Book Piracy?

Post by Victor Kros » Mon May 18, 2009 9:06 pm

My friend Rainack pointed this ebay auction out to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-KNIGHT-RIDER-CO ... tsupported" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sort of conflicted about this because while they are selling the book for 10.00 - they still had to pay the full 45-50.00 at some point in order to build their stock which means while I may be losing some potential sales of new books - I've already made profit off the seller themselves?

This means if I got this figured out right - the seller is already losing money by underselling me? They might detour some new customer sales but they still need to replenish their stock (notice it says left in stock) before they can continue to undercut me - which means they'll still have to shell out 45-50.00 a book to do so plus the shipping.

Seems kind of pointless don't you think? I don't give away books in the shrink wrap since I tend to sign them for friends/family, which means they're being purchased in mint condition at full price.

I guess it's a way to get the book out to fans at a cheaper (but quite frankly unfair) price point and I really have no control over the books once I've sold them and they leave my possession - after all I still made my intended sale even if they end up on a secondary market.

If this were more apparent though, like in the 100s of books then it would impact my sales to a point I'd have to do something I think.

So what are your thoughts? From a business stanpoint, I'm still making sales but from a personal standpoint, it's seriously disrespecting my hard earned efforts, especially since my Dad and I had to self publish these books (and pay for the printing and shipping fees) to present them in the pristine format they are printed in.

A cost we're still working to pay off before we see a dime of profit.

I guess my question is, how would you view this if you were in my position? I consider this an open discussion, there are no wrong answers in this topic unless of course they're disrespectful.

Should I be concerned?

=VK=
:dash:

rwmu
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: KRC Book Piracy?

Post by rwmu » Tue May 19, 2009 1:41 am

You need to consider a couple of points with this

1) Is the auction book genuine ? if it isn't you may have a problem as you could get tarnished with the same brush.

2) If it is genuine did they get it legitimately get hold of the book, do you have control of all your stock?

If both questions can be answered yes then you've nothing to worry about. This has nothing to do with disrespecting you how could it, they probably neither know nor care who you are, they are just trying to make some money out of the Knight Rider name.
Είναι καλύτερο να θεωρηθεί ως ανόητος, από να ανοιχτεί το στόμα σας και να αφαιρεθεί όλη η αμφιβολία.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue May 19, 2009 1:57 am

You need to consider a couple of points with this,

1) Is the auction book genuine ? if it isn't you may have a problem as you could get tarnished with the same brush.

- It is genuine and has been addressed.

2) If it is genuine did they get it legitimately get hold of the book, do you have control of all your stock?

- Yes I do, checked into the matter. I know who the seller is now.

If both questions can be answered yes then you've nothing to worry about. This has nothing to do with disrespecting you how could it, they probably neither know nor care who you are, they are just trying to make some money out of the Knight Rider name.

- Actually it does because it's my book retailing at a price that hurts my sales - that disrespected the effort that was put into writing the book and putting it together not to mention my printing costs involved.

Thank you for the advice, should this happen again and I am not aware who the seller is next time, it will come in handy.

=VK=

rwmu
Operative

Post by rwmu » Tue May 19, 2009 3:01 am

Your welcome.

The problem is you've produced a product that has a huge second hand market, printed material (books, comics and RPGs etc) has a second hand market that is probably as old as printing itself. On the upside you've alreay made your money and since you have good control they can only sell what they can buy from you. If you know and get on with the seller maybe you can ask them to put a link to the books website (if there isn't one already), and you could get sales from those who don't win on the auction. Remember in sales there is no such things as bad publicity :good:

The more your book is out there in the public domain the better, if Knight Rider even does take off again you'd be in a great position to get something published proffesionally.
Είναι καλύτερο να θεωρηθεί ως ανόητος, από να ανοιχτεί το στόμα σας και να αφαιρεθεί όλη η αμφιβολία.

Rookie

Post by 1982 » Tue May 19, 2009 5:06 am

Are the eBay copies regular or irregular, or from a possible overrun?

Not being one to believe in coincidence, seeing as the eBay sellers' location is so very close to Nextgen, the possiblity that both are the same, or related, is high. If they are, you get a good idea of the actual print cost (starting bid price) and the high markup (what the printer charged you). It also explains how one can undercut your price and make a profit.

3 have sold, and 3 more are listed.

Jay
Rookie

Post by Jay » Tue May 19, 2009 10:29 am

Wow, some people... Keep your eyes wide open, Nick - looks like people are trying to make a profit on your art.

But what kind of profit? They're losing money, unless there's some detail that you and us are missing.
"Alright Mr. KITT, let's burn some rubber!" Knight Song

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue May 19, 2009 7:32 pm

1982 wrote:Are the eBay copies regular or irregular, or from a possible overrun?

Not being one to believe in coincidence, seeing as the eBay sellers' location is so very close to Nextgen, the possiblity that both are the same, or related, is high. If they are, you get a good idea of the actual print cost (starting bid price) and the high markup (what the printer charged you). It also explains how one can undercut your price and make a profit.

3 have sold, and 3 more are listed.
- Yes your suspicions (and mine) are correct. It is NextGen who put up the extra books they had on hand - I was told it was to make up for their economic losses within the company. While it can hurt some sales to potentially new customers - I told them if they have like 4 or 5 books they wish to sell to recouperate loses to families or whatever, then I would allow it. If they are selling 15-20 - that's a whole other story. Money is not my motivation but paying off my debt is a necessity - a debt they created.

I consider myself someone of virtue who believes in helping those in need. Given that this company did an outstanding job printing the books, I feel it is the right thing to do in letting them recoup some loses in these tough economic times - as long as its for something positive and not personal gain.

If I find out otherwise, appropriate action will be taken.

UPDATE

Fans, I encourage you to go ahead and bid on the books if you really need them. I'm considering this a charity auction.

=VK=

Rookie

Post by 1982 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:22 pm

How ironic. An item about an event from the same era that the greedy, so-called “financial experts”, lit the fuse to the economic bomb that recently blew up, helping to clean up the fallout from their financial irresponsibility.

It is a tough call. While it would have been ethical to have gotten your permission first for the eBay sales, by their ethics they kept the contractual price they gave you, and like many companies bit much of the cost due to the constant up and down price fluctuation of their material prices in order to honor such contracts, unlike others that would have stuck you, thus raising the price.

Though this eBay scenario is the same as another KR related one, you may be able use it to your advantage in the future if another printing is forthcoming.

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Sat May 23, 2009 5:25 am

Hey Victor

Its hard to see whats going with ebay. I have my book order directly from the website so I have a personal copy. I understand how you feel but thats the problem of the big market. A while ago I made lots of update sets for convertible kitts and spm modes. I sell them over ebay and was happy to have money. Then people have the original parts and sell them again and make copys of them or whatever. Its the same with cds from singers or songwriters. one day everybody finds his stuff on ebay. Its nasty but its the big market, I dont like it to and like I say man I understand you very good. The only thing you can do is go to ebay and say that you have the rights and you are the owner of the work. I get my book a while ago, you did a great Job. I hope 1 day we can meet us and you can sign my book. I want to talk to the guy who make my dream real: A good Knight Rider book.
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile