Star Trek giving tribute to Knight Rider?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Star Trek giving tribute to Knight Rider?

Post by jup » Sat May 09, 2009 4:49 am

In the brand new Star Trek movie, keep your eyes peeled during the opening minutes for a rather familiar voice box appearing on the dash of a shuttle craft. (I don't know. Perhaps within the first ten minutes.)

In fact, look for it about a half dozen times over. It's a spot on KITT voice box, no doubt. Multiple red rectangles, lined up in three rows. The overall size was right, as well. The middle row lighting both higher and lower then the other two, which reflect each other's position. And, the columns of three grow and shrink in unison with one another. And, all six (or more) were like mirror images of each other. Only thing missing was a voice.

Another oddity. Almost every other guage in the movie was digitally displayed upon a monitor. The "red light displays" did not reflect this monitor feedback concept.

As for the movie, itself. I found it feeling like someone kept playing with the "pace control". When it was going, it moved rapidly. Then, when it was time to push plots and dialog, it was more like a vehicle stuck in the mud. And, they had plenty of dialog moments.

Shadowy Flight
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Deadman's Curve (between Silicon Valley and Millston)

Re: Star Trek giving tribute to Knight Rider?

Post by Shadowy Flight » Sat May 09, 2009 7:15 am

Wow, you beat me to it. I thought I was the only one that noticed that. Yes, its the scene where the first captain of the enterprise enters his vessel. Also, notice the guy jumping off the ship with Kirk and Sulu and getting incinerated by the tractor beam? That was our very own KR 2008's pilot Welther...Greg Ellis. Either that's just a coincidence or JJ Abrams is a huge KR fan. He should direct KR if it hits the big screen.

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Sat May 09, 2009 12:35 pm

Wow I barely caught notice of those things when I saw it.Awesome :good:

Perhaps we should put spoilers for anyone who hasnt see it...just a thought :|
"See ladies,what happens in Vegas,stays in...KITT"
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"

rwmu
Operative

Post by rwmu » Sat May 09, 2009 12:57 pm

Star Trek has been droping little nods to other shows since the The Next Generation Era, keeping and eye on computer screens
Είναι καλύτερο να θεωρηθεί ως ανόητος, από να ανοιχτεί το στόμα σας και να αφαιρεθεί όλη η αμφιβολία.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sat May 09, 2009 3:02 pm

Aw man, I have to go watch it again now. I was too busy with all the Star Trek references to notice anything else.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
And I think I was in tears laughing at the poor doomed man in the red shirt. :mrgreen:
I thought the movie was perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. As for the pace, I think studies show that people can't handle non stop action, you have to stop and take little breaks or people get numb and stop caring.
I loved the opening, it had me in tears from the start. I loved the way they worked Leonard Nimoy in, it didn't feel forced at all. And I loved how they established that this is an alternate timeline to all the events we have seen in the other movies. Thats the one reason I can't watch the new Batmans, they made no room to allow the movies I grew up on to exist. But as a nerd I am quite happy to be required to think forth dimensionally.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Sat May 09, 2009 4:27 pm

Well the new Batman movies-Batman Begins and The Dark Knight arent related to the other Batman movies that came out before hand.They were made to reboot the franchise,kinda like how Xmen origins Wolverine...which some how they still managed to mess up :cry: .Another example is the Terminator Franchise which they are rebooting as well,it looks good but Ill wait till its out to really review it.(side note-Terminator 3 never happened :P )

From the way things are looking we may get a Star Trek sequal and other franchises will be rebooted as well.I mean look at Knight Rider 08(awesome show).Only time will tell with what movies and shows well see again in the future.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Sun May 10, 2009 3:13 am

Thank you for the heads up. I will keep my eyes open when i go watch the movie. it should be released here this weekend. :lol: Image :kitt:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sun May 10, 2009 12:21 pm

I can't resist talking about it some more. But don't read unless you've seen it. There were a few obvious nods to other movies. At one point I think we were all half expecting Kirk to pull out his Tauntaun sleeping bag while we were screaming at the screen to "use your lightsaber."
But there was another one I almost overlooked. This article made my sides split.
[quote]The Substitute Father: One Captain Pike (Bruce Greenwood), in a monologue of psychological button pushing shortcuts, reminds Maverick of what a great man his father was and how he’s got to be the potential to be one of the best if he doesn’t blow it underachieving as a gigolo to the 50 & over Rich widow crowd and mourning Goose’s death.

I meant Kirk, not Maverick.

The Next morning Kirk rides his motorcycle over to Top Gun. I meant, Starfleet. He meets a nervous Nellie of a physician named Leonard McCoy (Karl Urban) and they spend the next three years being roomies.[/quote]
Don't go read the full thing unless you've seen the movie.
http://www.2snaps.tv/9819160
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri May 15, 2009 2:39 pm

Sue wrote:As for the pace, I think studies show that people can't handle non stop action, you have to stop and take little breaks or people get numb and stop caring.
Now that you mention it, that brings up my reflections on Star Wars 4 (Prequel #1...or however it should be put.) So much of the first half (probably more) had little bits of action and a ton of politics and slow parts. So much so that when the second half (and I do put it like that. The movie felt like two different movies at the way it changes somewhere past the middle.) begins, it's like Mr. Lucus was giving apologies for the lack of action that it all came at once. Non-stop, endless action that hits like a tital wave. Refreshing for a few. Then, left with pleading for it to ease up. Concluding with pure numbness.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Fri May 15, 2009 3:06 pm

Slade wrote:Well the new Batman movies-Batman Begins and The Dark Knight arent related to the other Batman movies that came out before hand.They were made to reboot the franchise,kinda like how Xmen origins Wolverine...which some how they still managed to mess up :cry: .Another example is the Terminator Franchise which they are rebooting as well,it looks good but Ill wait till its out to really review it.(side note-Terminator 3 never happened :P )

From the way things are looking we may get a Star Trek sequal and other franchises will be rebooted as well.I mean look at Knight Rider 08(awesome show).Only time will tell with what movies and shows well see again in the future.
In a sense, I don't like the current trend of rebooting franchises. On the other, it does make sense, as we've all grown up with these series while the cast members have just grown too old to keep going with sequels. And, in the case of Bond, the story writers were just driving the original line into the ground. YAY for that reboot. And, I am surprised to see that Terminator: Salvation is a reboot. Highly figured that T3 was made as paving for this movie. (As it was too much of a copy cat to T2 for my tastes and ending the way it did to make T4 a reality. Personally, I would have prefered T3 to have never existed, just like KR 2000! But, Salvation looks like the movie it should have always been. Will be watching.)
Between the Terminator series and the Trek series, is it always the greatest to call it a "reboot" when they go throwing in time travel to the mix? I mean, when Terminator/hero types keep coming from the future and rewriting the time line, it can become darn near impossible to see what was and what will be or could have been. As for Trek having a future mining ship come back and blowing up...erm...imploding (?) Vulcan, while turning (young) Spock against Kirk and killing Kirk's dad sure do lead to a whole new set of history records to work with, it just feels like Trek being Trek all over to me. (Remember, Voyager and that "rewrite" ending?) When the cereal boxes were promoting "Beam up badges", it concerned me that they would be screwing up the teck line, I was relieved to see the classic Cel-Phone communicator in use. And, most of the updates were refreshing...and quite necessary. One thing they truly needed to explain was that modernized bridge, though.
Gonna conclude this. My browser is doing some sort of weird flicker deal with the text entry box. Just updated to IE 8 and it might have a bug or two with the board's software. Every letter I type, makes the box scroll upwards. Very annoying.

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Fri May 15, 2009 3:18 pm

Yeah I dont like rebooting franchises either,especially when they dont even care about the story or characters,Wolverine is prime example.The new Terminator looks like its just the otherside of the coin,1st we see John grow up and now we see how becomes the great leader of the resistance and what the war looks like.So Im glad to see just a diffrent part of that universe and this is what T3 should of been.

I dont mind a reboot,like how they did with KR08 in the pilot and brought back the original Micheal,but when it comes to something like Wolverine its only about the money :( With Hollywood these days anything goes :roll: