KITT in the New Movie

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Re: KITT in the New Movie

Post by knightofthephoenix » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:06 am

I was under the impression GM was attributing these performance cuts to the new EPA car standards. It's really too bad (in my opinion anyway) because that concept looks great. I'd prefer it with some power, but I'd still be interested if it only came with a 5 speed gearbox and 4 cylinder engine!

PaoloM
Recruit

Post by PaoloM » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:09 am

Sorry guys, I am not into the muscle car scene so I don't know every single brand and model. Talking from an abstract point of view, don't you think that most of the proposed cars are too expensive to appear in a show where stunts and acrobatics are so deeply involved? In my opinion, all we need is an elegant, sleek, sexy car, no matter about GM or Ford or whatever. The show is totally fictional so the car doesn't need to be a "real" muscle car, or be really fast or have real performances: that is work for special effects.

kopiikat
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by kopiikat » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:34 am

PaoloM wrote:Sorry guys, I am not into the muscle car scene so I don't know every single brand and model. Talking from an abstract point of view, don't you think that most of the proposed cars are too expensive to appear in a show where stunts and acrobatics are so deeply involved? In my opinion, all we need is an elegant, sleek, sexy car, no matter about GM or Ford or whatever. The show is totally fictional so the car doesn't need to be a "real" muscle car, or be really fast or have real performances: that is work for special effects.
I agree with you in some ways, but I think it's important to have a realistic, powerful car.

If you use an original design, it's possible that it will look silly to people. Plus, it would be expensive to design and make a car just for a movie, especially if you need a number of them. KITT also needs to be able to blend in for the role. A car that isn't already an established model would draw too much attention on the street to be affective as a real crime-fighting car.

Additionally, if you use a car that exists, but isn't already known to be a "cool," people won't think it's cool in the movie either. For example, even with CGI, a minivan wouldn't fit the part.
KITT: 请别叫我‘汽车’或是‘几只轮子’,我是奈特工业2000号!

PaoloM
Recruit

Post by PaoloM » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:42 am

kopiikat wrote:Additionally, if you use a car that exists, but isn't already known to be a "cool," people won't think it's cool in the movie either. For example, even with CGI, a minivan wouldn't fit the part.
Yes, you are right. I was thinking about cars that are beautiful but are not muscle cars. They will be powerful and fast thanks to sfx.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:27 am

tamatt27 wrote:Where did you hear GM's not doing the performance thing with Pontiac? Or is that just a cynical remark since GM's ignoring their performance division? ;)
My father works for Cadillac and has big ties and people/directors who are working for GM and come to visit him almost every month to get detailed news, phones never work.

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:24 pm

JJSoCrazy wrote:
tamatt27 wrote:Where did you hear GM's not doing the performance thing with Pontiac? Or is that just a cynical remark since GM's ignoring their performance division? ;)
My father works for Cadillac and has big ties and people/directors who are working for GM and come to visit him almost every month to get detailed news, phones never work.
What kind of news? You're on GMI too right? What does your dad do for Cadillac?
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MJknight
Operative

Post by MJknight » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:31 pm

Cobra wrote:Seeing as how the NBC Knight Rider TV Movie disappointed many fans with their choice of car for KITT and the abilities of the car, I think that its importance cannot be overstated for the movie.

I believe that the following factors will need to be focused on extensively and with great attention to even the most minor details to make the new KITT as good if not better than the original:

The body:

Futuristic yet not overly glamorized in that it stands out like a sore thumb in traffic. The old KITT was sleek, sophisticated and subtle. These factors have to be incorporated into the new KITT for it to have any chance of being seen as a true modern remake of the old KITT. The best example of this is the Acura concept. I think it is by far the closest vehicle that embodies the essence of the old KITT. Any car that follows a simliar sleek and futuristic body design can be a candidate for the new KITT (with appropriate modifications of course). Here are some other good candidates for the new KITT:
Image Image
Of course with modifications to make the vehicle carry the spirit, look and feel of KITT.

The dashboard:

The dashboard has to have a "wow" factor. This was one of the key trademarks of the original KITT and sold the car as truly futuristic. Technology has changed greatly since the 80s, but human interaction with technology hasn't changed much, we still use our hands to feel and touch and choose from a menu of icons to go somewhere. Voice command can be incorporated alongside this but not dominate it. I believe that the dash should be heavily influenced by touchscreen technology and maintain a healthy dose of futuristic digital gauges and readouts. Something like this but with a little work on the layout and design: Image Image ImageImageImage
The fact that the old KITT could do everything automatically did not mean that manual control was obselete or not required; rather, that automated technology was stll prone to errors and problems (hacking, outages, etc.) that made manual control of the car a very important necessity. The same reasoning can justify the new KITT having touchscreen technology and digital guages and readouts and relying on manual control of the pilot/driver rather than having everything automated or controlled through voice commands with a small iphone screen. In addition, the voice modulator of KITT should remain where it was (the upper-center of the dash) but with a futuristic design that remains true to the original. Something like this but smaller and mirroring the three bar modulator of the original when KITT speaks: Image

The abilities:

The main abilities of the old KITT should never be sacrificed. Turbo Boost, Ski Mode, MBS, etc. are very important elements of KITT and a way to have the fans as well as those new to the show truly buy into the new KITT and a nodd of respect to the original. Of course the abilities would need to be updated in terms of how its done and the engineering and physics behind it in the Knight Rider universe to have people truly buy that these abilities are very much a possibility. Abilities like Turbo Boost and Ski Mode were used in action filled moments and gave a healthy feel of excitement to the show as everytime KITT Turbo Boosted, there was a slight risk that they may not make it over (a sort of keeping you on the edge of your seat moment). MBS was a very important element of the old Knight Rider and the whole nonsense that the NBC TV Movie dished out with the nano-technology healing that solely relies on the AI of the car being turned on and is useless if the AI is turned off was a step backwards. MBS can be modified to incorporate modern science and technology into it and is far superior to "healing" which makes KITT seem inferior and weak. Alongside the main abilities of KITT, new and more modern abilities can be implemented while obselete ones can be removed and updated with something modern (ie. Passive Restraint System upgraded to something more modern, etc.).

Comlink (minor yet important):

The new NBC TV movie had Mike using a bluetooth earpiece to stay in touch with KITT. That was also a step backwards. If Mike is caught by the bad guys, the earpiece is easily visible to the enemy and will definitely be taken away to prevent Mike from using it to communicate with anyone. The wristwatch that Michael Knight used was more subtle and not easily detected and thus would allow him to still communicate with KITT even when tied up and captured by the bad guys. I believe the Knight Rider movie should continue with that and use a wrist watch as the communication link between Michael and KITT when Michael is away from the car. In addition, the watch can also have many abilities that will allow Michael Knight not only to communicate with KITT but also do things that normal wrist watches can't (some influence from James Bond but not too heavily). It can even be used to endorse a brand of watch but not too heavily (ie. Ford with KITT in the NBC TV movie as an example).

These are the factors I consider very vital in ensuring that the new car embodies the spirit, look and feel of the old KITT. The presentation of the car is also very vital and I think the original series did an amazing job of that. The way Michael is first introduced to KITT in the dark room with a red scanner moving back and forth. It is very interesting to note how much it resembles the way the audience is first introduced to KITT....a black dot in the distant desert, speeding towards you, blowing dust in its tracks, a red scanner slowly coming into focus, moving left and right, zooming past the camera above. The Knight Rider theme simply took that feel and look to another level. Our senses were absolutely indulged. This is what the Knight Rider movie needs to ensure it can replicate with a modern look and feel.

There are other factors such as the relationship between the car and Michael, the core belief of Knight Rider (One man can make a difference), etc. that are also very important and will need to be focused on heavily so that the movie successfully embodies the feel of Knight Rider but for a 2010 audience. My thread is simply a focus on the car itself.
I agree with you in full.
One Man Can Make A Difference - Wilton Knight

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:09 am

tamatt27 wrote:
JJSoCrazy wrote:
What kind of news? You're on GMI too right? What does your dad do for Cadillac?
My father is a SalesManager for Cadillac for over 17 years in New Rochelle, NY on main street. Many GM rep's talk to him seldomly over the phone but once a month stop by. He knows all the big guys who give info on all the stuff going on so I pick up some here and there, mostly stuff I am interested in.

reverber
Rookie

Post by reverber » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:17 pm

perhaps something like this could be used:
http://cars.uk.msn.com/greenmotoring/ar ... id=7797460

instant power, light weight, whisper quiet sounds like a step in the right direction rather then big noisy and brutish like *ahem*

and as for self healingand mbs why not have both, as i believe one of the space agencies is working on something for space shuttles where by the skin is made of two layers between these layers is a resin comprised of two parts, a solution and a hardener in tiny litttle glass tubes suspended in the solution, the glass tubes have a small air bubble that when exposed to the vacum of space burst the tube, mixing the glass fragment the liuquid and the hardenener and setting solid in seconds, there by providing a type of healing that will last the voyage home. perhaps a similar technology could be used in kitts skin but instead of having bubbles of air in the tube have a vacum so that when kitt recieves a blow that punctures the skin through the mbs coating, the glass tubes implode there by creating the same "get home skin"

kopiikat
Rookie

Post by kopiikat » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:51 am

reverber wrote:perhaps something like this could be used:
Oh my god, that car is gorgeous! (The back's a little funny, but I can get over that.) Why hadn't I heard about it before?? ... and I'm such a treehugger too ... *sigh* so incompatible with a love of cars... :(
KITT: 请别叫我‘汽车’或是‘几只轮子’,我是奈特工业2000号!

reverber
Rookie

Post by reverber » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:46 am

its an electric car ;) with a 10 minute charge time solar panels anyone?

cajunknight0153
Operative

Post by cajunknight0153 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:48 pm

omg yall are all dumb! KITT needs to be an AMERICAN MADE MUSCLE CAR! not some foreign crap! dont get me wrong, they are nice cars but not for KITT! and it cant be a new trans am because they are not gonna make a new trans am! :kitt2: :kittside: :kittconv: :kitt:

reverber
Rookie

Post by reverber » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:14 pm

woah dude chill out. i just said like this car. if youd bothered to read the post i pointed out that it was all electric whisper quiet and has near instantaneous acceleration not only that but because its electric, all it would need to charge its batteries woiuld be an area roughly the size of a semi covered with solar panels, therefore its a green car, and as in the movies america generally gets alot of sun, it would be the ideal weapon, as there would be no polution, no noise and no heat signature of any real size to track, so would be invisible to heat seeking weaponry that and to make it go faster you just over power the motors, which provided there was sufficient cooling would mean kitt could cruise at a higher speed for longer.

if you really wanted to be green kitt could have a solar panel cover body or something built into the mbs that generates electricity when under sunlight then kitt would not need the semi, either way its a green car, so nobody will be saying its a gas guzzling hulk so the green people are happy, because the motors are powered by electricity the car could be made to drive by itself lots easier then a traditional vehicle and because the motors are electric, they could be made to stop almost as quick as they can spin up to speed, so provided the tyres have enough grip on the road the car will be able to stop a helluva lot quicker then a normal car.

also if you google (or choose your favorite search engine) and search for bose linear suspension you will find many links to a fantastic idea as suspension systems go(i have posted aout this before) e.g. http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/learning-ce ... /index.jsp which would enable kitt to corner at high speed as well as jump over obstacles or as more affectionately known "turbo boost"

ok so for the purists you've got to have a throbbing v8, so go ahead have the throbbing v8 for normal cruise, but for instance have for pursuit mode a system where the drive is both electricaly and normaly powered or have it so the electrics take over as they are far more responive.

another thing that kit could have is the hydrogen fuel cell,rather then the common v8as it has mammoth range and power with the only emissions being H20 or water as its morecommonly known.

either way i wasnt saying the car should be of foreign make, it should be by rights an american car, but if flag are meant to be at the forefront of technology with kitt, then surely some of these ideas should at least end up on the drawing board at flag hq.

cajunknight0153
Operative

Post by cajunknight0153 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:54 pm

i was saying that all the pics ive seen of potential KITTs are all foreign exotic supercars or w/e but they are all foreign, except for the photoshop'd trans am which GM is not going to make a new trans am. I have however seen a new Camaro KITT most likely done in Photoshop but it looks pretty good and would probably be my next choice after the KITT from the new tv movie/pilot. the only thing is though, Transformers used the new Camaro for Bumblebee so i dont know if they would wanna use the same thing. i have also seen some Corvettes photosop'd that didnt look too good. i think KITT should be a pony car like the trans am, gto, mustang, camaro, challenger, cuda, etc...

reverber
Rookie

Post by reverber » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:13 pm

oh ok mate totally agree. i thought you were disagreeing to the technology side of thigns in taht he shouldnt be fast or quiet or green. kitt should defiantely have the muscle car look. having said that though looking at most of the yank muscle cars they all seem like they are 10 foot high at the front, where as i feel kitt should have the sleeker suttler shape. Kitt, a hummer is not.

cajunknight0153
Operative

Post by cajunknight0153 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:49 pm

what the hell is a yank muscle car?

reverber
Rookie

Post by reverber » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:38 pm

oops i do apologise yank is slang for american.i apologise for any offence

cajunknight0153
Operative

Post by cajunknight0153 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:08 pm

i wasn't offended, i just didn't know what it meant

reverber
Rookie

Post by reverber » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:48 pm

roger

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:19 pm

Im not sure if this has been posted already, but i think decked out in black this would make an awesome KITT, I Know Bumblebee is a Camaro already so it wont happen, but seeing as Pontiac is no longer making firebird/trans-ams it seems like the next logical progression.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk19 ... ssory3.jpg

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:09 am

wow, that camaro looks awesome, thats the best looking one i have seen so far!
in glen larson we trust.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:50 am

kopiikat wrote:
Oh my god, that car is gorgeous! (The back's a little funny, but I can get over that.) Why hadn't I heard about it before?? ... and I'm such a treehugger too ... *sigh* so incompatible with a love of cars... :(

That is nice, too bad something like that won't even be allowed to be brought to the US for as long as oil and auto companies have politicians in their back pocket like they did in California. I know if I had the money I'd certainly buy one. :mrgreen: Maybe give it a turbine sound for the "engine". Now if only they could reduce the number of batteries needed while either keeping the mileage on a full charge the same or even improve it more. Because you'd seriously be screwed if you just happen to miscalculate how much driving you're doing that day. Maybe even some sort of travel charger/converter. If they could actually incorporate a solar panel or two that might help.

Only other problem is what happens if something breaks or screws up... That's going to be one expensive repair.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:08 am

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk19 ... ssory3.jpg

I think its the subtle power bulge that does it for me, very reminisent of the originial Kitt, perhaps if anyone gets bored they could maybe photoshop it?

reverber
Rookie

Post by reverber » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:01 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:
kopiikat wrote:

That is nice, too bad something like that won't even be allowed to be brought to the US for as long as oil and auto companies have politicians in their back pocket like they did in California. I know if I had the money I'd certainly buy one. :mrgreen: Maybe give it a turbine sound for the "engine". Now if only they could reduce the number of batteries needed while either keeping the mileage on a full charge the same or even improve it more. Because you'd seriously be screwed if you just happen to miscalculate how much driving you're doing that day. Maybe even some sort of travel charger/converter. If they could actually incorporate a solar panel or two that might help.

Only other problem is what happens if something breaks or screws up... That's going to be one expensive repair.

I think the idea of it is that because its electric theres fewer moving parts and so less to go wrong, but yeah your right def expensive to replace a battery or control systems, probably not that expensive for the motors though. you certainly wouldnt want to crash it thats for sure.

solar panels could easily be applied to the roof, they do tend to be very thin now or maybe a conventional petrol engine running a generator, youd only need a two cylinder thing to provide the power for the batteries.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh and weeezl ive clicked the link and all i get is the main photobucket page. im guessing that something went wrong when pasting the link

cajunknight0153
Operative

Post by cajunknight0153 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:44 am

will you stupid uk idiots stop recommending foreign cars from ur country or japan or whatever?! KITT is American, Knight Rider is and was an American show, Glen Larson is American, so therefore, its gonna be an American MOVIE with American cars! KITT will be an American muscle car, like the Chevrolet Camaro, or the Ford Mustang, or Pontiac GTO, or Dodge Charger, or Dodge Challenger, or somethin like that, so stop w/ all the bs foreign supercars and compact cars! and that camaro in the picture was so fake, especially the grill, the car looked cool except the grill which was so fake. it was obviously a sticker. :kitt: :kittside: :kittconv: :kitt2: :karr: :spm: :spmgo: :kittspin: :kittconv2: :skar: :kittx: