3.17 - Knight & Knerd

This forum contains discussions about the locations used for the 1982 series.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro, Joe Huth

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

3.17 - Knight & Knerd

Post by Joe Huth » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:43 am

Welcome to the Knight & Knerd locations thread!
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: 3.17 - Knight & Knerd

Post by simon_a6 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:11 pm

What is the beautiful Chinese or Japanese building at about 12 minutes into the Ep?
It's where MK comes to have a fight with someone. It looks to be a permanent structure, with a lot of greenery around it. Sorry I can't do a screen

Also, where is that lake at the start, where the father and daughter are fishing, and the attack starts. I thought it was in the Batcave area, but I don't think there is a lake up there in the Hills.
Attachments
Knight and Knerd image
Knight and Knerd image
knerd.jpg (40.86 KiB) Viewed 27822 times

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:21 pm

I think the water falls at the beginning were on Universal Studios' backlot...I think that's where they filmed the waterfall scenes in "Not a Drop to Drink" as well.

As for the Chinese building, I've been looking for that for a long time. There is a clue in the scene where KITT pulls up. You can see a sign for the Hollywood Freeway in the background:

Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:27 pm

Yes I saw that sign too, as I have it on my TV right now (sadly cannot get a shot like you have done).
The only way I think it can be trace, is via those building behind.

However, this maybe similar to the fabled HOTRS shot - two locations, one shot! As the way it is filmed, they conveniently 'cut' between the two shorts, rather than pan across.

Incidentially, where is the waterfall used in 'Drop'? Tho a long time ago and Universal change their lots so many times, even the position of the Psycho House, that I wouldn't be surprised if it's long gone.

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:39 pm

Bingo, found the water falls from an old photo.
This is it, tho where it is on bing maps is another thing entirely. I'll add this in Locations to Not a Drop...

Well I would, but it won't let me. Please add not a drop to drink with that detail.

Simon

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:34 am

I found the Chinese temple! Even though the scene was cut, where Michael and KITT pull up is the same place as the temple. The Shell gas station is still even there!

Address:
8225 Coldwater Canyon Avenue
North Hollywood, CA

Joe

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:46 am

Good grief Joe, how on earth did you locate that?
I can't see any clues there at all. I'm not a local (from the UK), so wouldn't be able to spot much. But I can't see anything there at all.
Top marks.

I am going to watch that scene again, as on the DVD it looks like a huge place. The angles used. I guess that 'wall' behind the lady where you see MK's silohuette is where the gate is, so it blocks it and makes it look like a large place.

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:19 pm

The diamond exchange featured at the end of this episode was actually filmed at the same place as Circus Major from "Circus Knights" - just facing the opposite direction. The building is across the street from the Barham parking lot (Circus Major) at Universal.