Remove KITT "Gay" Voice Phrases from GPS

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

K.I.T.T. 2008
Volunteer

Remove KITT "Gay" Voice Phrases from GPS

Post by K.I.T.T. 2008 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:45 am

Now don't get me wrong, but two lines from the Knight Rider GPS are kind of Gay sounding and in my opion are just to gay. One is "I AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS" and "TELL ME WHERE I CAN TAKE US"! I did find a way that you can either remove the lines from the GPS or rearrange them. This is very easy to do! First is to connect your GPS to your PC and look under My Computer and look for MIO DEVICE! Open MIO DEVICE and go to the folder marked Program Files/Navman/SmartST_CE/Data/KITTData/Intros! In the Intros folder you will find 6 wave files. This is your main KITT phrases! MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR INTROS FOLDER!!! What I did was remove number 2! Then I renamed 1 and made it number 2! Then I renamed number 4 and made it number 1! Now my first phrase is "I'LL POWER UP ALL SYSTEMS" and my second phrase is "WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO TODAY?" Hopefully you understand what to do with the rest of the phrases! If you can find some KITT wave files that you like, you can add them to your Knight Rider GPS for added phrases in the Intro folder! But just make sure they are WAV File (.wav)! If I find any more neat stuff to do with the Knight Rider GPS I will let you guys and gals know! I am looking for a new movie intro instead of the kinda blury KITT Light that is played when you turn on the unit!
:dash: K.I.T.T. 2008

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Re: Remove KITT "Gay" Voice Phrases from GPS

Post by taoworm2323 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:43 am

"gay"?
Really? Not cool man. Not cool at all.
Some folks are offended when you use a word like that in THAT way.
My closest friend is a Lesbian and I am VERY offended that you spoke out of turn like that.
And by the way, Willam Dainels has never sounded any other way except with formal speech with a upper Boston accent.

Just don't be using the word gay so casually. You make yourself seem REAL immature when you speak like that.
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

K.I.T.T. 2008
Volunteer

Post by K.I.T.T. 2008 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:17 am

Should I have said Homosexual? Gay shouldn't offend anyone! People who are gay will tell you they are gay! It's no big deal! Now words like homo, fag or faggot they do get offended (these words are not cool). Example: GAY Rights! Gay Activist! GAY Marriage! All use by people who are gay! It's the common term of sexual preferrence! I guess its all how you look and take it! Thanks for your comments on my other topic (HOW TO ADD KITT VOICE PHRASES TO GPS). I am just trying to help some people out and giving them options on KITT's voice phrases since no one else has figured out how to do it?
:dash:

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:52 am

It's all good man, it was late. I apologize if I came off like a ass.
My friend takes offense to it all the time so I guess she trained me to be too.
I can see by your reply that you didn't mean it to be offensive.

Let me try this again...

Welcome to the group, thanks for your posting. We really appreciate it when folks come here and share what they know. :good:
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by neps » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:00 am

It's not bad calling someone "Gay" when they are - but to call a phrase "Gay" is to turn the term into something negative. The phrases "I AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS" and "TELL ME WHERE I CAN TAKE US" are not inherently "GAY" - but you are identifying them as something negative that needs to be removed.

Thats the difference between supporting someone for being Gay and using Gay to mean something negative. You did the later and we'd appreciate it if you'ld be more careful in the future. Why did you have to say "remove gay" when you could have simply said "change the greetings on the mio gps" - see how the second isn't labeling anything negatively?

Stuntman Lee
Rookie

Post by Stuntman Lee » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:09 am

Gay used to mean happy, then it changed to mean homosexual. I guess it's now evolving again to mean lame.
Love child of The Hoff.

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:14 pm

HA! But then why did you leave "I'LL POWER UP ALL SYSTEMS"

:wink:

Vegasmike
FLAG Recruit

Post by Vegasmike » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:43 pm

neps wrote:It's not bad calling someone "Gay" when they are - but to call a phrase "Gay" is to turn the term into something negative. The phrases "I AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS" and "TELL ME WHERE I CAN TAKE US" are not inherently "GAY" - but you are identifying them as something negative that needs to be removed.

Thats the difference between supporting someone for being Gay and using Gay to mean something negative. You did the later and we'd appreciate it if you'ld be more careful in the future. Why did you have to say "remove gay" when you could have simply said "change the greetings on the mio gps" - see how the second isn't labeling anything negatively?
Agreed! Reading the post, i understood it as a negative description of the voice in the MIO GPS system.
Organizations such as the HRC, and GLAAD, among others are trying to change the way words like that are used.

As a gay man, i would ask you(KITT 2008, and everyone) not to post comments that are (considered) offensive to the LGBT community (and any other kind of comments that could be percieved offensive to others). Thank you.

:kitt:
Call me Mike.
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2011/09/l ... lebration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2010/01/k ... egas-2010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

K.I.T.T. 2008
Volunteer

Post by K.I.T.T. 2008 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:06 pm

I understand and will change it, but how in the hell do you remove or change the subject title? Lol, that is sad! I can figure out how to add or remove the phrases on the gps but I can't figure out how to remove or change a topic title in this forum!
:dash: K.I.T.T. 2008

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:09 am

K.I.T.T. 2008 wrote:Now don't get me wrong, but two lines from the Knight Rider GPS are kind of Gay sounding and in my opion are just to gay.
I had just thought that you meant that it sounded like a as a feminine male voice (best I can describe) rather than meaning lame in this case.

I did not take offense to this, however I have taken offense to KITT asking MK if he was a homosexual. Go figure.

It is hard to be politically correct. The to be word when I was growing up was Ret... I've never been so ashamed when thinking back to those days.

BTW: You only get so much time to edit your post. The most you can do is ask a Moderator to move this thread to Board Dealings and ask that it be locked.