Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: Matthew, neps, Michael Pajaro

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:17 pm

Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by pheonix_knight » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:18 pm

I am definitely a fan of KR old and new and, as many will know on here, a regular poster to most of the discussions going on. This got me thinking...

Are we as devoted as "trekkies"
Are we as 'geeky' as some of them can be...???
Do some of us take it too seriously, when its clear at least on KR that it was played tongue in cheek by the actors...?

As an absolute major fan of KR (i've seen ST in all franchises, I can take it or leave it) I was just wondering what other people think..??

User avatar
PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 2363
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:20 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: MI

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:40 pm

While I think a lot of us take it seriously, I don't think were anywhere close to fanatical as some of the more hardcore Trekkies who take it way too seriously. Even the people who build their own KITTs or KARRs aren't anywhere like some of those nuts.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

User avatar
Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Cyber Space
Contact:

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:47 pm

I don't think we are anywhere close to some of those trek-geeks that wear the costumes and live their lives as if they are part of Starfleet and act as if Star Trek is real life.

Nope I think even the most hard core KR fan is...well.. just a fan. Sure some make Kitt replicas, but at the end of the day spending your spare time building a car in your garage is a pretty normal "Guy" activity compared to pretending your living on a star-ship all-the-time.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com

User avatar
Sue
KRO Field Correspondent
Posts: 1450
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:20 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: From NJ now in LA
Contact:

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by Sue » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:12 pm

I think one difference might be our hobby is a little bit more practical. You can use your KITT car to take you to the grocery store, but there's not too much you can do with a recreation of the bridge of the Enterprise in your basement. I'll admit it, I used to be a Trekker. There was some really great writing in TNG. It's a pity I'm not anymore because I work next to Roddenberry. They have a chair in their lobby that's a replica of Captain Kirk's and they are giving it away to the fan of the year. They tell me all the buttons work and I should stop by and play with it. I haven't taken them up on the offer yet though.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

User avatar
taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:47 am

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by taoworm2323 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:23 pm

Sue, you are SO lucky!
Check out the chair, it won't be there for long.
(And press one of the buttons for me...) :lol:
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

User avatar
KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:37 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Virginia

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by KnightRiderKR » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:26 pm

Why are people such haters, I like star trek but I don't do the costume thing. Yall forget to talk trash about star wars,alot of fans of that also dress up and live their lives the star wars way. The fact is even hard core knight rider fans get accused of never getting sex either. So stfu.

User avatar
Spidey323
Recruit
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 9:33 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by Spidey323 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:46 pm

As a fan of both series, I can honestly say that I'm sure there are "fanatical" fans that are a bit over the top in their love for the shows, but that doesn't necessarily make them any better or worse than anybody else. I love Star Trek for what kind of society it represents, where humans and other races can get along no matter what their differences are, and society has fixed the problems that we face today.
I love Knight Rider because of the philosophy behind the show, that "one man can make a difference". I was a kid when the original series was on the air, and I thought that it was a great idea that Michael was trying his best to right wrongs with the help of his super-cool talking car. To help people who couldn't help themselves.

I'd like to think that I've taken the best parts of both shows and incorporated them into my own philosophy on life.

Hi, my name is Rob, and I'm a Trekker...and also a Knighter! :good:
"With great power comes great responsibility - we all have the power to choose, and the choices we make define who we are, and who we will become."

User avatar
Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Cyber Space
Contact:

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:26 am

KnightRiderKR wrote:Why are people such haters, I like star trek but I don't do the costume thing. Yall forget to talk trash about star wars,alot of fans of that also dress up and live their lives the star wars way. The fact is even hard core knight rider fans get accused of never getting sex either. So stfu.

No-ones hating or talking trash about anything.

Facts are facts. There are fans that live WELL outside the realm of reality for any show. The most abundant (or at least most well known) are ST fans (and yeah there are some scary Star Wars fans around too).

And for the record I'm a big fan of ST:TNG.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com

User avatar
KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:37 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Virginia

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by KnightRiderKR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:05 am

I'm a big fan of TOS TNG and Knight Rider, I do like Star Wars just not as much as I used to. I like Star Trek for it's space exploration aspect, the political aspect can go to hell. Politics and Space Exploration do not go together one bit. Not in my opinion. Luckily Star Trek never pushed the communist society that they have too much. They still used money in the future even though in Star Trek IV at the pizza parlor Kirk claims they stopped using money. Like I said I absolutely like the outer space part of it.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:17 pm

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by pheonix_knight » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:15 am

KnightRiderKR wrote:I'. Politics and Space Exploration do not go together one bit. Not in my opinion. Luckily Star Trek never pushed the communist society that they have too much. They still used money in the future even though in Star Trek IV at the pizza parlor Kirk claims they stopped using money. Like I said I absolutely like the outer space part of it.


I always got the impression from ALL of the ST franchises that they were actually made to be political metaphors and the technology and lasers etc were secondary to the messages being conveyed...

TNG looking back on it was VERY political. The aliens represent different races/countries and the ones 'onboard' the ship were akin to something like the UN. The enterprise in TNG had 'ready room' which is surely a conference centre by any other name. The ideology that we could all get along provided we did what the 'federation' wanted...

Its just a tale of exploration at the end of the day I suppose and explorers have always imposed their Ideals on others, probably why I'm sat in england now typing this and you can all understand it where ever you are...

User avatar
Sue
KRO Field Correspondent
Posts: 1450
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:20 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: From NJ now in LA
Contact:

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by Sue » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:55 am

Well every artist puts a bit of themselves into their art whether that’s politics, ideologies or what-have-you. Firefly, another great series, was designed to be sort of anti Star Trek, so if you’re finding the one world government thing in Star Trek hard to swallow I recommend it.
Humm, this sounds like a really good SA topic.
TV shows of different decades all have such fascinating world views. It’s fun to watch old shows just for the sake of learning how differently people saw the world.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

User avatar
KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:37 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Virginia

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by KnightRiderKR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:10 am

pheonix_knight wrote:
KnightRiderKR wrote:I'. Politics and Space Exploration do not go together one bit. Not in my opinion. Luckily Star Trek never pushed the communist society that they have too much. They still used money in the future even though in Star Trek IV at the pizza parlor Kirk claims they stopped using money. Like I said I absolutely like the outer space part of it.


I always got the impression from ALL of the ST franchises that they were actually made to be political metaphors and the technology and lasers etc were secondary to the messages being conveyed...

TNG looking back on it was VERY political. The aliens represent different races/countries and the ones 'onboard' the ship were akin to something like the UN. The enterprise in TNG had 'ready room' which is surely a conference centre by any other name. The ideology that we could all get along provided we did what the 'federation' wanted...

Its just a tale of exploration at the end of the day I suppose and explorers have always imposed their Ideals on others, probably why I'm sat in england now typing this and you can all understand it where ever you are...


I didn't really see TNG as political, I'm not really a political person I prefer fantasy over reality alot of the time. We must have watched two different versions of TNG then. All I saw was exploring space and an occasional diplomatic mission with aliens that had absolutely nothing to do with real life what so ever. I know people like to imply the Klingons were russians but considering they used bladed weapons that would be inaccurate, also the Romulans can't be implied as japanese since. To me neither culture represents real life cultures. The Romulans don't kamikaze they simply commit suicide to avoid capture where as the Japanese kamikazed. Too many differences in both races to imply they are like any real life country. The ready room was Picard's personal office, the lounge on the back of the bridge was the conference room.

User avatar
BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:07 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Knight Research Mobile Rig (KRMR)

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by BlueChaos » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:03 am

Actually, the Klingons were thought to be based on the Mongols, not Russians. Hence the "Khan" look :wink:
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:17 pm

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by pheonix_knight » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:43 pm

BlueChaos wrote:Actually, the Klingons were thought to be based on the Mongols, not Russians. Hence the "Khan" look :wink:


TNG was post cold war with USA and Russia starting an alliance of sorts and lo and behold we have Klingons on the crew...

User avatar
KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:37 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Virginia

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by KnightRiderKR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:36 pm

BlueChaos wrote:Actually, the Klingons were thought to be based on the Mongols, not Russians. Hence the "Khan" look :wink:


Yall can compare it to real life, I won't. Simple enough.

User avatar
My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:59 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Here...always here.

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:41 pm

Hey Sue, If you happen to catch a picture of the chair on your way passed it and post it......

I wouldn't be mad.....Just madly happy. :lol:
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

User avatar
Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Cyber Space
Contact:

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:36 pm

KnightRiderKR wrote:They still used money in the future even though in Star Trek IV at the pizza parlor Kirk claims they stopped using money.

I don't think they do. In the movie First Contact and the TNG episode Neutral Zone (season 1) Picard talks about how money and material possessions are no longer important or valued.


PhoenixKnight wrote:I always got the impression from ALL of the ST franchises that they were actually made to be political metaphors and the technology and lasers etc were secondary to the messages being conveyed...

The TNG technical manual has a comment in the Authors notes that says "Star Trek is about people. The technology is merely part of their environment."

The introduction by Gene Roddenberry himself states that "The purpose is to show humans as they really are". and says that "Worf is something of a symbol of the reduction in global tensions in the world today."

So I think it's certainly fair to say there are political metaphors in there, and more importantly ideas of how Gene Roddenberry wanted to see the human race progress.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com

User avatar
KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:37 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Virginia

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by KnightRiderKR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:06 pm

delete this

User avatar
KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:37 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Virginia

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by KnightRiderKR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:08 pm

They use latinum among other things as currency since the Ferengi and various other species still use forms of currency. There has to be currency or else how are they to determine who gets what in what order. Money talks.

User avatar
goldbug
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:31 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: A world where criminals operate above the law

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by goldbug » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:34 pm

I think it would be very difficult for KR fans to be anywhere near as hardcore as Trek fans, partly due to the sheer volume of Trek material out there. KR has two past series and two TV movies, and now we have KR08. Star Trek has tons of movies and hundreds of episodes, not to mention novels, comics etc. etc. That's a lot of material for fans to fixate on.

Trek also uses a societal philosophy as its base - where humans are basically living in a version of utopia (at least originally). This is a very strong idea for people to latch onto, and it serves as a strong uniting force for Trek fans.

The way I see it, so long as no one is getting hurt, being "hardcore" is fine. It's when fans begin to deliberately try to hurt others or get into flamewars that they're going too far.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

User avatar
My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:59 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Here...always here.

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:28 pm

Wow Goldbug, Well said. I agree. Here's a KITT for you..... :kittconv:
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

User avatar
KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:37 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Virginia

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by KnightRiderKR » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:25 am

It's not the Star Trek fans its the hater a-holes that are always bad mouthing Star Trek to make up for their own short comings or miserable existance. Hey my team lost lets go make fun or beat up a Star Trek nerd, crap exactly like that. Most of the hater a-holes are hardcore football fans from what I have seen. Jock jerkoffs.

User avatar
My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:59 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Here...always here.

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:06 am

I'm a Star Trek Fan also.....But there is only one Forum in all of cyberspace that I belong to... Here. :P

So I must be more of a Knight Rider fan than Star Trek. Wow.
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

User avatar
manlai
Rookie
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by manlai » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:05 pm

KnightRiderKR wrote:They use latinum among other things as currency since the Ferengi and various other species still use forms of currency. There has to be currency or else how are they to determine who gets what in what order. Money talks.


well, to clarify, the FEDERATION has stopped using currency for most purposes and certainly Earth had completely done away with currency, so Kirk was technically correct. Latinum wasn't so much a currency since (1) it was considered to be more like a valuable processed raw material and (2) there was no standard of exchange, everything was done on a non-standardized barter basis - which is why the Ferengi are a viable race. Also, the Ferengi aren't part of the Federation, although they do trade with Federation members.

More globally speaking, there doesn't have to be money or currency to determine how resources are allocated, there only needs to be trade. Trade probably occurs far more efficiently with materials as opposed to currency in ST world since a standardized currency exchange on that kind of scale is functionally impossible.

But back to ST, I tend to like the politics and trade aspects (but probably because of my chosen vocation and educational background). But then again, there's nothing like photon torpedos and the Borg...

User avatar
KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:37 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Virginia

Re: Are we as 'fanatical' as "trekkies"???

Post by KnightRiderKR » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:41 pm

manlai wrote:
KnightRiderKR wrote:They use latinum among other things as currency since the Ferengi and various other species still use forms of currency. There has to be currency or else how are they to determine who gets what in what order. Money talks.


well, to clarify, the FEDERATION has stopped using currency for most purposes and certainly Earth had completely done away with currency, so Kirk was technically correct. Latinum wasn't so much a currency since (1) it was considered to be more like a valuable processed raw material and (2) there was no standard of exchange, everything was done on a non-standardized barter basis - which is why the Ferengi are a viable race. Also, the Ferengi aren't part of the Federation, although they do trade with Federation members.

More globally speaking, there doesn't have to be money or currency to determine how resources are allocated, there only needs to be trade. Trade probably occurs far more efficiently with materials as opposed to currency in ST world since a standardized currency exchange on that kind of scale is functionally impossible.

But back to ST, I tend to like the politics and trade aspects (but probably because of my chosen vocation and educational background). But then again, there's nothing like photon torpedos and the Borg...


Go back and watch DS9, you'll see that latinum is very much currency. Valuable processed raw material? HELLO GOLD another currency.

Locked