Making the show a real Knight Rider show.

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Making the show a real Knight Rider show.

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:02 am

I know there is a thread here for listing your 5 wishes to improve KR, but I have more than 5 things I think need to change to point this KR in the right direction.

I think the show has made a good start, but its direction feels a little wrong to me.. so this is my list of things that I think NEED to change to make this a real Knight Rider show.

• Lose the 4x4 truck. Have an off-road mode (raised suspension, larger tires etc, but not a truck! This isn’t transformers!)
• Kitt shouldn’t be top secret. It wasn’t in the original. One of the things which help re-enforce the “super car of the future” aspect of Kitt was peoples reactions when they saw the dash and heard him talk.
• Kitt needs some sort of modified “high tech” dash that should always be visible regardless of which mode Kitt is in.
• Kitts interior shouldn’t change in different modes. Should always be the same, like the old Kitt.
• Lose the replicator in the back seat. It’s too Sci-Fi Star Trek. Kitt shouldn’t have any functions that can’t be explained by or at least based on real world science.
• Story lines need to revolve around Mike and Kitt. Get Sarah out of it.
• I would also think about making attack mode more like SPM in the TOS and make Kitt fully functional in “normal mode”
• Lose the blowers off the attack mode Kitt.
• The various modes and such should have control buttons on the high-tech dash which Mike can press to activate the functions.
• Give Turbo Boost more external shots. Let us actually see the car jump rather than showing us what Mike is doing inside the car, or what other peoples reactions are.

:dash:
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Re: Making the show a real Knight Rider show.

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:30 am

- I'm okay with the Mustang car, that's fine, but Attack Mode just screams "look at me bad guys." I used to the think that the scanner on the TA was too much, but all the neon and wings is just way too much. I could really live without Attack Mode altogether.

- The trendy, cynical, stereotypical, too-cool-for-you young genius types in the cave need to go. I'm officially over them. In fact that cave is way too crowded. Graiman, Sarah and Mike work just fine for me, just like the original show with Michael, Devon and Bonnie/April. Maybe they can be used in more moderation, but I feel a mobile unit is needed for repairs and info in the field, maybe when KITT gets really trashed they can go back to the cave and give those kiddies some lines, but other than that I'm done with the too cool slacker-hacker types. The concept of the original show was a modern Lone Ranger, I think they should keep that up.

- I wouldn't mind it returning to the whole "championing the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless in a world of criminals who operate above the law." Every mission briefing doesn't need to end with "our national security is at risk." Leave that fate of the world stuff to 007, let's have KITT and Mike fighting local bad guys like the old show every so often.

- I think Sarah can end up making a great Bonnie-like character, but keep her out of the field. I know she's great eye candy, but I'd rather have Mike and KITT out there.

- I really liked the episodes in the original show that focused on the other characters. Halloween Knight was one of my favorites and it was great that they focused more on Bonnie for that episode. Maybe they can pepper in some episodes like that.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:04 am

I think the Kitt Cave is one of the things drawn from Viper, along with the secret FBI project idea.

I actually don't mind that they are combining Knight Rider and Viper together, but I do think the attack mode is a little too flashy. The NBC page says Kitt's weapon system rivals a jet fighter, which again sounds like Viper, so that will be interesting to see.

All in all, I like the show; I know the guys are working hard on it and it's pretty kewl so far, but as I said in my first post, I just think it needs some fine tuning to make it a little more Knight Rider and maybe a little less Viper... or God forbid.. Transformers.

I don't think anyone really wants to see

K n i g h t - R i d e r
~~More than meets the eye~~

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:39 am

• Lose the replicator in the back seat. It’s too Sci-Fi Star Trek. Kitt shouldn’t have any functions that can’t be explained by or at least based on real world science.
Guess what?

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/scien ... -printing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As much as you and others hate it, the truck and whatever else they have the car change into is here to stay.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:20 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:
Guess what?

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/scien ... -printing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As much as you and others hate it, the truck and whatever else they have the car change into is here to stay.
Not necessarily. The production team are visiting this site and paying attention to what the fans are saying, so if enough of us say "make the truck go away" they could very well listen.. and I hope they do.

I personally think a 4x4 is a good idea, they used various reincarnations of it in TOS (high traction drop downs, etc) but I think the Viper version of 4x4 is a much better and much more plausible idea.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:16 am

Here's the Viper version of 4x4 I was referring to in the above post.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:33 am

Rockatteer wrote:I know there is a thread here for listing your 5 wishes to improve KR, but I have more than 5 things I think need to change to point this KR in the right direction.

I think the show has made a good start, but its direction feels a little wrong to me.. so this is my list of things that I think NEED to change to make this a real Knight Rider show.

• Lose the 4x4 truck. Have an off-road mode (raised suspension, larger tires etc, but not a truck! This isn’t transformers!)
• Kitt shouldn’t be top secret. It wasn’t in the original. One of the things which help re-enforce the “super car of the future” aspect of Kitt was peoples reactions when they saw the dash and heard him talk.
• Kitt needs some sort of modified “high tech” dash that should always be visible regardless of which mode Kitt is in.
• Kitts interior shouldn’t change in different modes. Should always be the same, like the old Kitt.
• Story lines need to revolve around Mike and Kitt. Get Sarah out of it.
• I would also think about making attack mode more like SPM in the TOS and make Kitt fully functional in “normal mode”
• Lose the blowers off the attack mode Kitt.
• The various modes and such should have control buttons on the high-tech dash which Mike can press to activate the functions.
• Give Turbo Boost more external shots. Let us actually see the car jump rather than showing us what Mike is doing inside the car, or what other peoples reactions are.

:dash:
I don't like trucks but I like KITTruck! I always thought TOS driving along rocky terrain in sports car was highly dubious. I couldn't get my head around the obvious ride height such a low profiled Trans AM would have. Based on the creators need to want visual differences between the various KITT modes, the truck seemed like a nice choice for an off-road mode. Yes they could have had raised suspension with a Mustang but it wouldn't have looked too different from Attack or normal mode. That Viper 4x4 doesn't look that different to create a visual impact?

KITT was top secret in TOS. Only a few insiders knew about it. You lost me with that comment? We had a similar reaction from Mikes ex-army buddy in the second ep to the any reaction in TOS.

KITT does not need a hi tech dash to keep it real. Most car companies (including the one I work for) are going away from numerous buttons, opting for a simplified look to assist the driver. This includes voice activation. Is it really believable to think either Mike or Michael knew what all the buttons on KITT do or where the one they want is located? I remember sitting in a KITT replica and thinking, thats alot of buttons! how do I lower the windows?! Voice activation also allows the driver to keep both hands on the wheel or fiddle with the HUD.

•I would also think about making attack mode more like SPM in the TOS and make Kitt fully functional in “normal mode”
Not trying to be rude but why do we need that? I recall a bizarre comment from GST stating that this is not SPM. Maybe they have something more planned? I thought the SPM KITT was just as over the top as Attack mode. In retrospect SPM stood out more then than attack mode does now.

The "replicator" is actually not that far off a laser sintering machine used for rapid prototyping. Ford and other automotive companies use this in early stages and I know have made durable components in the engine bay to withstand high temperatures and loads. The way it was shown on KR08 mimics a SLS machine rather than a replicator. I've personally had parts made from polycarbonate and once painted you really can't tell the difference between it and the final production part.

I do agree though, we need more external shots for turbo boost.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Rjaniz
Recruit

Post by Rjaniz » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:28 pm

Lemme make sure I got this: You are OK with a car that can talk, jump, has a holographic HUD, and is faster than engineering would allow... but a 3D printer (which actually exists) is just out of the question. ooooookay.

Secondly, this truck argument is getting really old... I have no problem with it staying so long as the transformations are not for the sake of transforming. All they have to do is give a quick explanation and I'm happy. It's pretty obvious a GT500 cannot go the same places as a F150 (that is an F150, right?).

Most of your list doesn't deal with direction of the show rather than aesthetic changes you want to see. To think they deal with direction of the show is a little out there. I mean... the blowers on KITT really affect direction of the show? C'mon. And really, based on your list, I would venture to say you won't be happy until it's a carbon copy of the original series.

I really don't want to see the original series again... I want something new. So far, even the attack mode, I can't really say I hate any of the aesthetic choices they've made.

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:10 pm

Rockatteer wrote:Here's the Viper version of 4x4 I was referring to in the above post.
I agree, that makes more sense.

Certainly, whatever car it transforms into should be roughly the same mass of the Ford Mustang.

--Brian

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:45 pm

sarfraz wrote: KITT was top secret in TOS. Only a few insiders knew about it. You lost me with that comment? We had a similar reaction from Mikes ex-army buddy in the second ep to the any reaction in TOS.
Yeah, but I agree with the original poster that it needs to be more consistent. If the transformation is supposed to be classified "TOP SECRET", as opposed to just "Company Confidential" which is what corporations call it when they have data that is supposed to remain with the company only, then it shouldn't transform in public AT ALL.

Like when the Coast Guard addresses Navy vessels over bridge to bridge radio (which is not encrypted and the enemy could be listening), they can (AFAIK) refer to surface vessels by name of the ship, but they refer to submarines as "Submarine 1", "Submarine 2", etc. because the exact location of a submarine is classified. Sometimes Seattle Control (the coast guard) would say "ok, submarine 2, just let us know when you are going to submerge" but we wouldn't because that too is classified. The first time I heard that on the radio, the Captain chuckled at the USCG's request, and I asked the nav ET chief, "are we really going to tell them when we are submerging?" he said "no. we'll just disappear."
KITT does not need a hi tech dash to keep it real. Most car companies (including the one I work for) are going away from numerous buttons, opting for a simplified look to assist the driver. This includes voice activation. Is it really believable to think either Mike or Michael knew what all the buttons on KITT do or where the one they want is located? I remember sitting in a KITT replica and thinking, thats alot of buttons! how do I lower the windows?! Voice activation also allows the driver to keep both hands on the wheel or fiddle with the HUD.
Well I agree with all that, but if the driver is trying to time a turbo boost jump, it is probably quicker to press the button, and have that hand-eye coordination, than to say "turbo boost", plus then you have the issue of, should the computer activate it at the beginning of the command or the end?

--Brian

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:50 pm

What car company do you work for Sarfraz? I do agree with some here, that don't like the F-150 used. In my opinion KITT should stay himself, with various incarnations. KITT doesn't switch to an Indy car when he needs to go faster. That's what Attack Mode is for. KITT needs a 'Anternate Terrain' modes in which he could raise the suspension with aggressive tires for off-road terrain. I wonder if they're going to have a water mode for KITT. The preview from "Knight of the Iguana" shows KITT coming up the beach dripping wet.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:54 pm

Who's to say the car has either the same mass as a "regular" Mustang or that the 4x4 KITT transforms into has the same mass as a regular truck? ;)
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:17 pm

seeker78 wrote:
sarfraz wrote: KITT was top secret in TOS. Only a few insiders knew about it. You lost me with that comment? We had a similar reaction from Mikes ex-army buddy in the second ep to the any reaction in TOS.
Yeah, but I agree with the original poster that it needs to be more consistent. If the transformation is supposed to be classified "TOP SECRET", as opposed to just "Company Confidential" which is what corporations call it when they have data that is supposed to remain with the company only, then it shouldn't transform in public AT ALL.

Like when the Coast Guard addresses Navy vessels over bridge to bridge radio (which is not encrypted and the enemy could be listening), they can (AFAIK) refer to surface vessels by name of the ship, but they refer to submarines as "Submarine 1", "Submarine 2", etc. because the exact location of a submarine is classified. Sometimes Seattle Control (the coast guard) would say "ok, submarine 2, just let us know when you are going to submerge" but we wouldn't because that too is classified. The first time I heard that on the radio, the Captain chuckled at the USCG's request, and I asked the nav ET chief, "are we really going to tell them when we are submerging?" he said "no. we'll just disappear."
Well I agree with all that, but if the driver is trying to time a turbo boost jump, it is probably quicker to press the button, and have that hand-eye coordination, than to say "turbo boost", plus then you have the issue of, should the computer activate it at the beginning of the command or the end?

--Brian
I get your point "TOP SECRET", as opposed to just "Company Confident". The original series kept bouncing that one around. They were alot more free about who saw KITT or SPM and even when KITT talked. Can you tell me what you mean by more consistent. I take it your referring to the jump scene in episode 2? my take on that scene was that the finishing line was in sight and KI3T needed to be back in normal mode otherwise everyone would smell a rat?

Turbo boost? well the way I see that is that a car travelling in excess of 100MPH is going to be pretty tricky to precisely judge a jump based on a button activation and when the car would launch. You wouldn't launch a missile and steer it manually or would you rely on its programming? I would place KI3T in a better place to guide the jump once command is given as it would know what obstacle needed clearing. KI2T did a similar thing. Often Michael would yell "are we clear to turbo" or something similar and KI2T would say yes or no. He also had a guidance system for turbo boost (which I recall from Knight of the Juggernaut), that allowed KI2T to control where he took off and landed. If Michael pushed the button then it was up to KI2T to figure out how to do the process. This wasn't really looked at closely in the early seasons but I think thats what Juggernaut was expanding on.

tamatt27: I work for Ford of Europe as a Component Engineer.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:19 pm

if all the people on this board watched the show, but only people here watch it, I'm afraid it wouldn't be enough to keep it running.......so the producers must cater to a cross section of the population to keep interest in it.........that's why they have to take a little bit of what everyone here likes....... :kitt2: :roll:

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:53 pm

yeah I know the reality is that they have to cater to the wider TV population and make the show to match what that population likes, but I still think they can do that without going completely overboard with things.

It could be as simple as changingthey way they show somethign like the 4x4 transformation happening so it's "explained" better.

Lets not forget that in one episode of TOS Kitt had bloody great spikes appear out of nowhere on his tires for traction, how they could work without leaving big holes in his tires is anyones guess, so TOS isn't without unexplainable occurrence, but maybe a car to a truck is just a bit too much.

99 Trans am
Volunteer

Post by 99 Trans am » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:58 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:- I'm okay with the Mustang car, that's fine, but Attack Mode just screams "look at me bad guys." I used to the think that the scanner on the TA was too much, but all the neon and wings is just way too much. I could really live without Attack Mode altogether.

- The trendy, cynical, stereotypical, too-cool-for-you young genius types in the cave need to go. I'm officially over them. In fact that cave is way too crowded. Graiman, Sarah and Mike work just fine for me, just like the original show with Michael, Devon and Bonnie/April. Maybe they can be used in more moderation, but I feel a mobile unit is needed for repairs and info in the field, maybe when KITT gets really trashed they can go back to the cave and give those kiddies some lines, but other than that I'm done with the too cool slacker-hacker types. The concept of the original show was a modern Lone Ranger, I think they should keep that up.

- I wouldn't mind it returning to the whole "championing the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless in a world of criminals who operate above the law." Every mission briefing doesn't need to end with "our national security is at risk." Leave that fate of the world stuff to 007, let's have KITT and Mike fighting local bad guys like the old show every so often.

- I think Sarah can end up making a great Bonnie-like character, but keep her out of the field. I know she's great eye candy, but I'd rather have Mike and KITT out there.

- I really liked the episodes in the original show that focused on the other characters. Halloween Knight was one of my favorites and it was great that they focused more on Bonnie for that episode. Maybe they can pepper in some episodes like that.
I agree with everything you said..I will add..Lose the transformations! Leave KITT alone. Give him tire spikes,normal turbo boost.The whole windshield doesn't have to glow turbo boost and have KITT repeat it,arg.. Have KITT actually bust in places to save Michael. KITT is too vulnerable . Turbo boost only in attack mode,ok that makes sense..

Trendane
Recruit

Post by Trendane » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:20 pm

It would make sense that KITT probably has a small reserve pool of nanites just in case he needs them for repairs. A glop of them the size of a basketball could probably repair an entire body panel. That could also help to explain the apparent increase in mass when transforming to a truck.

Now, that said, if all they're after is extra traction for traveling over rough terrain, that does not require an entire chassis reformation. The nanotech should be able to lift the car, form claw-like spikes on the tires, and shift back afterwards. I'm sure they've got plans for further development. My biggest fear is that with all the grumbling about the various parts that people don't like, they'd better have stuff in the pipe that's going to address those issues or this show won't make it to 23 episodes.

While the romantic in me can heartily appreciate the hunger for the same style as the old show (the Lone Ranger metaphor is nice), life is very different now than it was 25 years ago. National Security and other such stuff are major concerns right now. It's predictable that they would tend to lean heavily on those themes. They are easy for the audience to relate to because we see it every day. The flipside, however, is that because it's easy to write....it makes for lazy writers. If the show can survive long enough, and if they listen to a more broad-ranging audience than just what the focus groups have to say, the show will begin to migrate towards something that everyone can enjoy (classic and new fans alike).

Unfortunately, I am also inclined to agree Army_F_Body that 'Billy' and 'Zoe' are superfluous. Meaning no disrespect to Mr. Campbell and Ms. Cho....I feel that the characters present no solid contribution other than making whimpy or slutty banter to fill up screen time. There has got to be some serious character development here to make them feel important or the fans, by and large, will turn on them before the actors even have a chance to prove themselves.

Storylines revolving around Mike and KITT will definitely bring it more in-line with the original show. One aspect I do like about Sarah's presence in the mix is that it gives KITT that much more to observe and learn about. If it's just KITT and Mike...then KITT doesn't get exposure to deeper emotional states which he will need as he explores his growing 'humanity'. I especially liked KITT watching old westerns and trying to understand their meaning. "Knight Rider" has, as previously mentioned, always had that sort of vibe to it and I thought it rather fitting that KITT chose that to study.

Especially riding off into the sunset. Nice touch.
--
Trendane
Looking at the future...in retrospect.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:21 pm

Excellent point about the western vibe. I think the Hoff even mentioned that in an interview once, that Knight Rider was like the new Roy Rogers and Trigger. And in all honesty I think it was probably one of the most important underlying themes of the show.. which has been completely missed by the producers.

Knight Rider is about Micheal Knight and Kitt, one man can make a difference, etc and any reincarnation of the show needs to follow that formula, otherwise they might as well call it somethign else.. like.. oh, I don't know... Viper!