KITT SPM on Ebay!

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KITT SPM on Ebay!

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:35 pm

KITT is being sold on Ebay with a starting price of $26,000!

Check out the link and scroll down:
http://www.autoblog.com/page/2/

Ebay Auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac- ... _19619wt_0

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Re: KITT SPM on Ebay!

Post by Stylez » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:55 pm

Ewww the "Benchwarmers" SPM KITT, no wonder it's for sale! lol

knight rider uk
Rookie
Location: somewhere over the rainbow way up high theres the one that i dream of once in a lulleby.

Post by knight rider uk » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:48 pm

Wonder what the real spm kitt would go for, if it ever was sold and wonder where its hideing :kitt2:
I knew when i first saw you, how could i not adore you,you kissed away my tears and washed away my pain-and now the sun is riseing

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:26 pm

Haha, that car looks horrible and the description is clearly bogus and just looking at the car is enough to see that. Some interesting post in the autoblog comments.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:26 pm

I'm sorry... but Barris should have his @$$ kicked for making that piece of sh*t

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:44 pm

Scott Kirkessner wrote:I'm sorry... but Barris should have his @$$ kicked for making that piece of sh*t
Exactly! What the heck was he thinking when he put a stock rear spoiler on the nose?! Old age getting to him? Nice half ass job there George.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:01 pm

I wouldn't believe anything the ebay listing says, I doubt he was really involved in building it and I'm certain that car wasn't in the show, a poorly built touring car that was slapped together and then left to rot maybe but I even doubt that. Someone should also give them a note telling them that Sandler wasn't in The Benchwarmers, unless this person is counting his role as producer. I don't remember this exact car being in the movie either. Wasn't it just a regular KITT and not some poorly made SPM knock off version?
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:48 am

Pretty sure this was the car in Benchwarmers that was auctioned off right around the time the movie came out, hard to forget that god awful nose with a rear spoiler on it.

cajunknight0153
Operative

Post by cajunknight0153 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:34 am

yea the regular one was in Kickin' It Old School along with the Hoff

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:29 pm

I'm getting pretty sick of this particular car not getting accurate descriptions in auctions and articles. We all know this car was most certainly never used in the original series, and was half-heartedly constructed by George Barris a few years ago, with some donated turbo cast rims and "bowling ball" hubcaps from Don Colie. Its previous owner passed away and apparently the car is up for sale again. Of course with Barris being involved in the construction of this car, there's no wonder why there's confusion about this particular car's history. Some of the rear welding actually doesn't appear to be done that badly, but the interior dashboard is completely half-hearted and seemingly missing of any electronics. And don't get me started on having a rear spoiler welded to the front nose!
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Gadjet
Rookie

Post by Gadjet » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Well here it is in beachwarmers in its half arced SPM mode

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nWOt6lQIzpw

Well it gets at least 20 seconds of screen time!

Gadjet
My youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/gadget127 contains my own vids Street Hawk vs Knight rider, Knight rider/Mad max music vids and lots of high octaine action

Rookie

Post by 1982 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:31 am

When it comes to supposed "screen used" cars, I have yet to find one that didn't use some form of misrepresentation to try to sensationalize the story behind it.

There are plenty of people that will believe anything to be true, even if the original supposed "reputable source" was misinformed to begin with, or fabricated the story. I got a laugh out the “original car” that was claimed to be one of the “first off the line cars that Pontiac gave Glen Larson for the series” that was at one of the gatherings in California. The so-called knowledgable sources even confirmed that it was. Sorry, the documentation that was displayed proved the “first off the line” statement to be untrue, or fabricated.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:02 pm

Gadjet wrote:Well here it is in beachwarmers in its half arced SPM mode

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nWOt6lQIzpw

Well it gets at least 20 seconds of screen time!

Gadjet
Ewwww! I guess I didn't pay much attention the two times I saw that movie and they even got William Daniels to do the voice.... At least that I noticed the first time I saw it.

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:36 am

It's up for sale again.. I just found it whilst looking for miscellaneous stuff..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pontiac-Trans-Am-KI ... dZViewItem

Horrible incarnation..

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:12 pm

eBay should really block that guy from reposting...

ShadowRider
Recruit

Post by ShadowRider » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:42 am

Hmm... wonder what "old" S1-S2 dash is doing in a "S4 car".... :shock:

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:40 am

That reminds me, the other day on the drive into work, I saw a Herbie driving around. The owner was selling for $7,900. Should always keep a camera handy for such 'no warning' opportunities. And, the thought occurred that, despite the restoration and upgrade, that price must have been at least four times greater then the original selling price of a VW Bug.

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:37 am

It doesn't look like the real SPM K.I.T.T. but I don't hate it. Yes it's funky looking but it is unique. The Ebay listing is very inaccurate based on what's been posted here. It is way overpriced too.

It's interesting to look at and some collector might enjoy it if the starting bid wasn't so super high.

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:46 pm

It's definitely not the real SPM KITT. I can't remember if it's been mentioned here in the past, but does anyone know what happened to the real ones used on the show?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:40 pm

JL wrote:It's definitely not the real SPM KITT. I can't remember if it's been mentioned here in the past, but does anyone know what happened to the real ones used on the show?
One car resides at the Cars Of the Stars museum in England (I believe the Convertible Mode car). The rest were cannibalized or completely destroyed or even left out to rot in Universal Studios' back lot, I think. The original Super Pursuit Mode car's whereabouts is still a mystery.

My theory as to why George Barris did a half-hearted job is that it was probably too costly to reconstruct the car the way the original was, and that Barris was hoping to get as much money as possible for it by misrepresenting the car (or allowing it to be misrepresented) and tacking his name on it while doing the least amount of work possible. Why spend $250K building another car when you can spend a lot less and get more than your money's worth at an auction?

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:21 pm

Didn't fourth season KITT only have one TV?
SPM on Ebay
SPM on Ebay
dash.JPG (200.97 KiB) Viewed 23866 times
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:55 pm

Sue wrote:Didn't fourth season KITT only have one TV?
Yup. Although the stunt cars used throughout Season 4 still had the 2-TV dashboard which can be seen during some stunts if you look closely.

EDIT: Looking at that picture more closely, it looks like this was such a lazy job that the knight's head logo on the steering wheel is even upside down!

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:25 pm

Looking at the photo gallery over at AutoBlog, it looks like whoever made this put in a half-decent effort, but there's so many inaccuracies that it can't be considered either an authentic car from the show or even a good fan attempt. (Compared to a lot of the cars that are on display over at Knight Registries, this stinks.) I'd love to see someone try to make an SPM car that actually looked accurate to the one they used for driving.

Oh, and here's a permanent link to the article:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/13/ebay ... ith-flaps/

It's been a while since it was posted, so it's not on Page 2 anymore. ;)

ULTRASUBS
Volunteer

Post by ULTRASUBS » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:52 pm

Hi Guy's......... I have to say a special thanks to Scott Rice for coming to the rescue on that fundraiser for that little girl. DAS Auto shippers REALLY screwed up and the car will not make it to the event it should so Scott stepped up and is going to help us out with his GORGOUS car.
OK, the reason why I needed a KITT was because I am the new owner of the P.O.S. everybody is talking about LOL.

I Had to wait and take a chance and let people forget about buying this car to get it for close to NOTHING.
I am very good friends with George Barris and I did one of the 1966 Batmobiles (Audio & electronics).

George told me about this car a while ago and the guy who bought it, Andrew Kissel.
Here is the OFFICIAL STORY.

This car was used in the show, it once was a fully "dressed" close up car, not a "process" car with a steering position from the rear or passenger side or stuff like that.
It was a "close up" car.

As the cars got worn down during the filming of the show, they would then be either assigned to be jumped, smashed or otherwise totaled.
Just like in the Dukes of Hazard, salvage parts would be stored and the show would go-on.
This car was destined for the big jump to the junk yard but was sent back to the Barris shop for conversion into a SPM car.
That is when the series was cancelled. At that point there were THREE SPM cars done & built and this was to be the fourth.
Then came the wrecking ball and absolved the studio of any liability by destroying the cars.
Since this one was in the process of being converted into a car reverting back from SPM, the parts were not motorized, as a matter of fact, the SPM cars didn't even have T-tops, they had a little "raise" at the edge of the roof to look like it but they were based on hard tops.
Well then this car sat around for some time when it was used in Bench warmers, now at that point it was already partially stripped of many of the reusable items before being sent for conversion and then just thrown together for the bench warmers movie when it was then sold to a rich guy who was found STABBED to death in his home without EVER getting his hands on the car or taking delivery of it.
It was his estate that was trying to sell it, the bidding got "silly", after the second listing they "gave it away".

Now if I restore this car back to a 2 TV dash car........... it would be correct.
If I restore this car into a SPM car................. that would also be correct.
What I will do ??? I don't know yet but we will see how it goes.

Thanks,
Lambros Vassiliou

Showpro1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Showpro1 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:10 pm

Jay Ohrberg has a great SPM KITT on his site & with his great parts for sale, most anyone can build one that
is much easier on the eyes.
Ron Martinez who produced & was also unit manager on Knight Rider was found of the original SPM and is a friend of Jays so there is the difference, or one part at least.

D. Doggett. :spmgo: