New KITT

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Which car should be used for the New KITT

Poll ended at Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:35 am

2009 Chevrolet Camaro
38%
Ford Shelby GT500KR
45%
Chevrolet Corvette Z06
5%
Dodge Challenger Concept
No votes
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
13%
European Supercar (Ferrari, Lambo, etc)
No votes

Total votes: 40

knightjp
Rookie

New KITT

Post by knightjp » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:35 am

OK... with all the topics raising up about which car they should've used for the K3000 and stuff... I've decided to do something about it... Lets settle the argument once and for all... We'll have a friendly vote.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: New KITT

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:40 am

I picked the only car there that was logic and made sense.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

knightjp
Rookie

Post by knightjp » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:48 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:I picked the only car there that was logic and made sense.
Which was???

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:01 am

with the given options (and we all know because of transformers the camaro is no real option) i have to go with the Shelby GT500KR. it's the only car that fulfills every requirement and is also available.

knightjp
Rookie

Post by knightjp » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:14 am

Kaine wrote:with the given options (and we all know because of transformers the camaro is no real option) i have to go with the Shelby GT500KR. it's the only car that fulfills every requirement and is also available.
I really fail to see why the Camaro isn't a viable option for KITT.
Don't get me wrong... I really like the new KITT, but I still think the Camaro would have been a better choice..

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:58 am

I chose the Mustang. The others don't really work for a variety of reasons:

2009 Chevrolet Camaro: This is still a concept car and not set to go into production for a year. Filming requires a production vehicle that can be replaced at (relatively) reasonable cost, and this won't fit the bill. Its beauty shots in "Transformers" are nothing compared to the damage it would take in filming a weekly KR series (assuming the show is picked up).

Chevrolet Corvette Z06: I do confess this would look super nice, but it can cost upwards of $70K for the standard model, then you still have to modify the thing. It would be cost prohibitive to use this one.

Dodge Challenger Concept: This is the one that I would say is the most reasonable choice outside of the Mustang. Its look is retro-future just like the Shelby and it is a new car. However, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think it's in production yet (or at the very least, the Mustang beat this one to the punch). If we were given a second choice for the poll, this would be it for me.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am: This wouldn't work mainly for marketing reasons. Part of the support for this show is the car marketing angle. Plus, you want something that is fresh and current in people's minds. While many people may recognize this vehicle, they would hardly see it as "new".

European Supercar (Ferrari, Lambo, etc):
This would definitely look awesome, just like the Corvette. Unfortunately, it wouldn't work for the same reasons: cost. Plus the idea was to take a car that you would see every day, and exotic cars like this don't really work in that context.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:03 am

Corvettes don't have a back seat either at least as far as I know. That's the real strike against it.

Also, yeah the new Challenge isn't either in production yet or just entered from what I'm reading, it's probably started now or at least recently. I'm not sure I care too much for the look of it though..
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

knightjp
Rookie

Post by knightjp » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:39 pm

goldbug wrote: 2009 Chevrolet Camaro: This is still a concept car and not set to go into production for a year. Filming requires a production vehicle that can be replaced at (relatively) reasonable cost, and this won't fit the bill. Its beauty shots in "Transformers" are nothing compared to the damage it would take in filming a weekly KR series (assuming the show is picked up).
If only GM would have put the car into production around last year. So as always, it all boils down to the costs and marketing strategies.... Whatever happened to making a great TV series regardless of costs.????

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:53 am

There's never been a great TV series made that disregarded cost. They've all had budgets and while some may go a little over in say the pilot then that money has to come from somewhere. What usually happens is they reduce the budget on other episodes to make up for it. It's not like the original show was made regardless of cost. Especially with all the stock and recycled footage that was used.

knightjp
Rookie

Post by knightjp » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:14 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:There's never been a great TV series made that disregarded cost. They've all had budgets and while some may go a little over in say the pilot then that money has to come from somewhere. What usually happens is they reduce the budget on other episodes to make up for it. It's not like the original show was made regardless of cost. Especially with all the stock and recycled footage that was used.
I expect you're right in that aspect. Well I'm gonna make a photoshop rendering of the camaro to see how it would look like if they did use it... pretty sure its gonna be awesome.

FX23
Operative

Post by FX23 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:14 am

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:57 am

Wow.....so all those people going into the dealerships asking for Knight Rider edition Trans Ams that leed to them not being able to call the car a Trans Am anymore....was a result of their own marketing?? Wow...talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

knightjp
Rookie

Post by knightjp » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:55 pm

How are people who live outside the US gonna be able to watch the movie???
I still maintain the car would have been better as the camaro, but I still love the new car's look. Whoever thought of those dual scanners is brilliant.
Except that moma steering wheel.... I prefer a proper Knight Industries logo on it

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:02 pm

When i first saw this 'new' topic pop up a couple of days ago i couldn't help but think "isn't this discussion kind of redundant now?" We all know that the new KITT is a mustang. Some people just need to have more of an open mind when it comes to these things.

However if you're talking about the feature presentation that will hit the silver screen then isn't this is the wrong section?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:19 pm

MrPayner wrote:When i first saw this 'new' topic pop up a couple of days ago i couldn't help but think "isn't this discussion kind of redundant now?" We all know that the new KITT is a mustang. Some people just need to have more of an open mind when it comes to these things.

However if you're talking about the feature presentation that will hit the silver screen then isn't this is the wrong section?
Exactly. Completely needless thread.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

knightjp
Rookie

Post by knightjp » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:23 pm

I apologise if anyone here finds this thread offensive, but there actually never was supposed to be a discussion.. Just a simple poll.

R_ACE1
Stranger

Post by R_ACE1 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:41 pm

I cannot believe the new Knight Rider series did not use the 2009 camaro!! I understand that Ford mustang is readily available for the show but one this is availability another is necessity. Hey the Dodge charger is also available, does it mean that it's the right choice for this show??

The new camaro has a sleeker apperance than the bulbous mustang. A lower profile like the older KITT, and a better option of a vehicle for the (must have) turbo boost.

I believe the series should have the camaro as KITT and have a mustang as a villian (as in the movie Transformer) but more than just a 4min part. Now THAT would be a great idea for the series.
Be polite, be friendly, be ready to kill.

knightjp
Rookie

Post by knightjp » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:06 am

Well the new car has to perform some serious stunts like jumps and stuff. Without that, its just a show about a car moving around really fast.
They chose the mustang and its would appear that the show does not have heavy graphics involved, so I guess the availability of cars off the production line is key in shooting the film which involves heavy stunts. As long as the stunts are heavy, the use of the mustang is justified.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:04 am

I think they've already made it very clear that this car will not be capable of jumping, and therefore, you are absolutely right, it will be about a car moving extremely fast, and that's it :shock: . Oh, yeah, and changing shapes, like Terminator 2 :? .

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:41 pm

R_ACE1 wrote:I cannot believe the new Knight Rider series did not use the 2009 camaro!! I understand that Ford mustang is readily available for the show but one this is availability another is necessity. Hey the Dodge charger is also available, does it mean that it's the right choice for this show??

The new camaro has a sleeker apperance than the bulbous mustang. A lower profile like the older KITT, and a better option of a vehicle for the (must have) turbo boost.

I believe the series should have the camaro as KITT and have a mustang as a villian (as in the movie Transformer) but more than just a 4min part. Now THAT would be a great idea for the series.
To be honest mate... turn it around and A) it is more likely to happen and B) I would give my stamp of approval :mrgreen: !
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

shinobi594
Recruit

Post by shinobi594 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:10 pm

goldbug wrote:I chose the Mustang. The others don't really work for a variety of reasons:

Chevrolet Corvette Z06: I do confess this would look super nice, but it can cost upwards of $70K for the standard model, then you still have to modify the thing. It would be cost prohibitive to use this one.

The GT500KR (Super Snake?) is also going to be on the expensive side.... Add to that the Corvette is definitely a better platform on a performance (both in straightline accel, handling, and aerodynamic form/function) standpoint, plus its a Wedge shaped front-end, very Knight Rider-like.

But I picked the Trans am, because I didn't factor in REALITY lol and I love the 2000-2002 Trans Am WS6 in black ^.^

knightjp
Rookie

Post by knightjp » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:06 pm

Kram061-1 wrote:I think they've already made it very clear that this car will not be capable of jumping, and therefore, you are absolutely right, it will be about a car moving extremely fast, and that's it :shock: . Oh, yeah, and changing shapes, like Terminator 2 :? .
Well truth be told that there isn't a car alive that can take the punishment of a jump time after time after time. The original "smokey & the Bandit" had a couple of trans ams totalled during filming the jump alone. God only knows how many were totalled during the 4 seasons of the original Knight Rider series.
If there ain't gonna be jumps, then there should be some better stuff to compensate.

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:29 am

Well really there were a lot of miniature models used for the turbo boosting sequences.. When the real car was used, there would be a ramp at both ends of the boost [most of the time at least]. I know there are a couple of episodes when this was not the case, for example the one where KITT is jumping over the orange car [charger?] on the freeway.

I mean, *?$#.. CGI is a wonderful thing if done with subtly in mind. Turbo boosting ala "Gone in Sixty Seconds" is just out of the question. But if CGI is being resorted to, how big are the pockets of NBC or the production department?? CGI isn't cheap if done well!

Back to the topic however, okay the mustang was chosen. Not necessarily my first choice, as i too would have liked to see something a little more sleeker [Corvette perhaps] as a design cue. BUT, you guys have to be realistic here! The Mustang was already a readily available vehicle to the market, just like the original Pontiac was. So deal with it already.

Personally, I like all the vehicles in this poll, but i would struggle suggesting something European [being reasonable of course].

KR_FAN13
Stranger

Post by KR_FAN13 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:41 am

My vote would be for a black '02 ram air TA(not a poll option for some reason). Mustang was certainly a horrid idea.
Your point of view,I've found, makes a big difference in how one approaches this topic. On one hand, you have T.V. fans,who don't really care about what car KITT is put in as long as they are entertained. On the other hand, you have car enthusiasts that would rather cut thier own throats than see KITT's good name defamed by any Ford,mustang or not, "super snake" or not. I, personally, subscribe proudly to the latter. I recomend they use CGI to minimize damage to an '02 TA, instead of making a mustang look fast. The only Ford that could come close to the concept of a "super car" is the GT 500 remake, and that is just not financially realistic. Then there are the bulky cosmetic problems with the Mustang, although I must commend Ford on attempting to rejuvinate intrest in this line by using many body characteristics of the older Mustangs, you know, the last time Mustangs could claim "high performance". In fact, the '69 fastback with the 429 Cobra Jet is the only Ford that could park in my drive without getting shot at. Just some food for thought.

KR_FAN13
Stranger

Post by KR_FAN13 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:08 am

Corection:I had previously posted that the only Ford that could come close to a "super car" was a gt 500.I was actually refering to a Ford GT, in homage to the GT-40 fom the 60's. My mistake