New KITT

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Which car should be used for the New KITT

Poll ended at Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:35 am

2009 Chevrolet Camaro
38%
Ford Shelby GT500KR
45%
Chevrolet Corvette Z06
5%
Dodge Challenger Concept
No votes
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
13%
European Supercar (Ferrari, Lambo, etc)
No votes

Total votes: 40

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: New KITT

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:58 pm

I was going to write a long post here in response just to rip you to shreds, I won't. But how DARE you call those of us who have gotten over the fact that the new KITT AKA Knight Industries Three Thousand is going to be a Mustang and gotten over the fact and understand the reason for it as just "T.V. fans,who don't really care about what car KITT is put in as long as they are entertained" especially those of us who have been fans since the start or at least first run, just as long or possibly longer than you and maybe before you were even born. No, a real fan understands that there was a LOT more to KITT (and Knight Rider) than just the shell/car KITT was housed in, the exterior is largely superficial for the most part. It's not as if this NEW KITT is going to become a helpless shell of his former self like what happened in the abomination that is KR2000 with or a sinking, pretty much useless red tomato/fax machine on wheels, imitation Banshee that did next to nothing. If the original KITT had been a Mustang or another Ford car and now they were using a GM brand car would you be *****ing they didn't stick with the Mustang?

Longer than I planned but still no where near as long or venomous and fun writing (for me) as it could've been.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

knighthazzard
Recruit

Post by knighthazzard » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:50 pm

Just to re emphasis your point Phoenix Knight as summed up by the late Edward Mulhare in The Knight Rider 2000 movie (liked your summary on the Banshee\ Charger btw :wink: ) One thing pointed out when the KR4000 was taken for a test drive: - one redeeming element as Devon stated about the 4000 "It lacks KITTS humanity" and in my books that is the whole core purpose and identity of KITT to a tee; what he stands for\ who he is -a Super Intelligent Vehicle Pilot that had great relations with its driver; he is much more than just a "car". KITT itself was represented itself in more ways than the cars exterior or capabilities- it was that he could relate to people and vice versa- KITT itself always had an underlying human element that fans would definately want to see emphasized in this movie continuation

knightendo_phil
Rookie

Post by knightendo_phil » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:40 pm

I am a huge fan of Knight Rider and care deeply about how it is treated... and I voted for the only car in that list that IS a KITT car: The Mustang. None of the other cars suit KITT in my opinion. Powerful yet beautiful lines, sleek yet a feel of indestructibility. And those headlights remind me of KITT's from the eighties.
"I got better things to do tonight than die."

KR_FAN13
Stranger

Post by KR_FAN13 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:23 am

For starters I'm 32 years old, and have been a fan since the second episode(since I was grounded for the first).
Second, I admit that you may indeed be a more devout fan of the show than I, certainly more knowlegable about particular episodes, and such. Just for the record, I am well aware that KITT is for all practical purposes a computer box, and nothing more in regards to the effective means of transportation he happens to be placed in. Obviously the truth hurts or you would not have replied. Living in G'mas basement has left you jaded, mabe its time to put the doll up and get a date with a real woman/man. :twisted: The general public see's this very differently than hardcore fans, and I would love to see a poll of everyone, but we will when the show doesn't make it to sindication. In regards to if they had originally had used a mustang, would I !@#$% if they went to a GM, HELL NO! I probably would have fallen in love with the Trans Am anyway, It just would have taken longer. The Ford vs. GM debate will go on until both companies are long gone.Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust,If it weren't for Fords,My tools would rust!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:48 am

Ok so you're just another 30+ year old with the mentality and insults of a child as well as a GM fanboy. Great. :roll:
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:56 am

KR_FAN13 wrote:On one hand, you have T.V. fans,who don't really care about what car KITT is put in as long as they are entertained. On the other hand, you have car enthusiasts that would rather cut thier own throats than see KITT's good name defamed by any Ford,mustang or not, "super snake" or not.
There is also another potential point of view: people who don't judge something until they've seen it with an open mind. That's the category I would place myself in. I like the look of the Mustang and considering its exposure this summer in "Transformers", I'm not surprised it was chosen at all. However, even though I like the look of the vehicle, I'm still reserving judgement on its abilities until we see them in action in the movie.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Harry
Stranger

Post by Harry » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:31 pm

New member, happened upon this site by accident. Long time HUGE fan of Night Rider - the orig. series (the last season was a bit too much tho)...
My vote would have been the Holden, urr sorry Vauxhall, sorry, Pontiac GTO or Monaro (or what ever the US market calls it), or at least on of the Pontiac range - o thats right, there are no US suprecars left other than the FROD thingy - thats right, I called it a FROD...
DIG at the us car manufacturers... lol seriously tho, here in Aus we haven't heard boo of the new movie/series, I hope its at least half as entertaining as the orig. series was (let us all forget the movies, they mostly sucked)

Maccc
Stranger

Post by Maccc » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:46 pm

This would be a cool kitt car.
The Ford sucks, its to big.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:12 pm

It's a two seater isn't it? There's host of other reasons why it wouldn't work for a TV production..

I'll agree that the Mustang isn't my first choice either, but in the scope of things it's pretty much the only car out right now that fits.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:28 pm

Maybe they ought to cancel this movie and wait for a more appropriate car to come into production.

KnightLady
Operative

Post by KnightLady » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:26 pm

I voted for the 09 Camaro because, it would've been closest in looking to the original KITT. Another item I would've chose on this poll would've been the 1999 Trans Am. Yes, I know it isn't in production anymore, but it would've definitely been KITT. Hollywood could've made it work. In all of the new Dukes of Hazzard stuff they still used a 1969 Charger, no deviations. So, I know they could've updated an old Trans Am. I mean yes the Mustang is out on the market, and it is a cool car for it's time, but as KITT the jury is still out on that.

darthknight72
Recruit

Post by darthknight72 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:58 pm

I dont get this thread.It just boggles my mind that people are complaining that KITT is going to be a car that is american made,has over 550 horsepower and looks bad ass.I hear a lot of people saying they should use the new camaro like they did in Transformers.Does anyone realize the Camaro in Transformers wasnt actually a real 2009 camaro.Since the new camaro doesnt exist yet except for a couple of concept cars they got steve saleen (who happens to be a mustang guy) to take a GTO and GM suplied him with a camaro body and he put a camaro body on a GTO chassis.Thats ok for a multi million dollar movie where you only need 1 car not for a potentially weekly show.Now after saying that why cant we quit moaning about KiTT being a ford and just try and enjoy the show we all grew up loving.

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:43 pm

Thank you darthknight72. The camaro in transformers is not a real 2009 camaro it's a sculpted body on a GTO chassis done be one of the kings of Mustangs Steve Saleen how ironic. I have to say it again ,it's not a production vehicle not readily available parts ,just one made. Knight Rider needs a bunch of cars to make a telepic or series if it gets the go ahead and these cars and parts need to be readily available to the studio.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:10 pm

BTW just for clarity it is going to be a 2010 Camaro, not 2009. The car will be out early 2009 as a 2010 model. Anyway, the Camaro is a wise choice in my opinion as I have stated before, however after seeing the Mustang in action and with the scanner in the hood I have come to like it.

knightendo_phil
Rookie

Post by knightendo_phil » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:23 pm

ckeller22 wrote:Thank you darthknight72. The camaro in transformers is not a real 2009 camaro it's a sculpted body on a GTO chassis done be one of the kings of Mustangs Steve Saleen how ironic. I have to say it again ,it's not a production vehicle not readily available parts ,just one made. Knight Rider needs a bunch of cars to make a telepic or series if it gets the go ahead and these cars and parts need to be readily available to the studio.
Before I say anything, I just want to make it clear that I feel they have made a spot-on choice, even if the Camaro was in steady production the Mustang is just better in my opinion.

Anyways, what you said there just reminded me of the awful car they had in KR2000, where they did an old Dodge up to look like a current Pontiac. Imagine if they had had the chance to make a couple more movies, they'd have been hard pushed to add in any sort of car stunts since they couldn't have risked damaging their shell car. Doesn't bear thinking about!!

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:33 pm

Just to add Phil thats why if you watch KR2000 the car did barley anything and even the chase scene going after the truck it really wasn't exciting it didn't do some narly peel outs or anything again attributed to I think they didn't want to damage the car due to no body parts available or no other car. So with production vehicles you can get them easily and have stunt cars to do some exciting things with.

knightjp
Rookie

Post by knightjp » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:13 pm

Although the Mustang looks sweet and handles well, no-one can deny that the Camaro would have looked better for the part. To my knowledge, Saleen & GM are working on bringing out a Saleen Camaro when the Camaro is finally released as a production model and that concept was what they used in Transformers (Saw it in a behind the scenes thing).

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:25 pm

darthknight72 wrote:I dont get this thread.It just boggles my mind that people are complaining that KITT is going to be a car that is american made,has over 550 horsepower and looks bad ass.
The two primary camps that the "anti-Mustang KITT" crowd come from are those who hate Mustangs and Ford and those who feel KITT shouldn't be anything but a Trans Am or a vehicle with a flat and downswept nose like a Trans Am. Now, if you hate the look of the car there's nothing "wrong" with that, I mean, it's just personal taste. What bugs me is people judging the entire movie already before its even aired. Sure they're using a "real life" Mustang, but clearly this is a scifi movie about an extraordinary car, so I'm sure it will be able to do extraordinary things. I look forward to seeing what the writers and producers have come up with and I hope to be impressed.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:35 pm

i don't really even care anymore. :roll:

knightjp
Rookie

Post by knightjp » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:49 pm

[quote="goldbug]The two primary camps that the "anti-Mustang KITT" crowd come from are those who hate Mustangs and Ford and those who feel KITT shouldn't be anything but a Trans Am or a vehicle with a flat and downswept nose like a Trans Am. Now, if you hate the look of the car there's nothing "wrong" with that, I mean, it's just personal taste. What bugs me is people judging the entire movie already before its even aired. Sure they're using a "real life" Mustang, but clearly this is a scifi movie about an extraordinary car, so I'm sure it will be able to do extraordinary things. I look forward to seeing what the writers and producers have come up with and I hope to be impressed.[/quote]

Right you are.
I voted Camaro. But here is the deal. If you go to anywhere in the world other than the US, its only petrolheads who know that the Camaro even exists. The Mustang however has become more of an icon. The name is recognised by anyone the world over like Ferrari or Lamboghini. When the original Knight Rider series aired in my home country, no one knew what the car was. It wasn't until I came to the Middle East and saw my first Trans Am, that I knew such a car existed.
I can't really say how Ford managed to make the Mustang an icon but, it has the global appeal. If you look at most hollywood movies, the hero who turns up in a Muscle car, the car is more or less a Mustang and I guess that is what the movie makers wanted.

Yes the camaro would have looked better. But the mustang does look the part and is also readily available. We've waited for a proper Knight rider comeback for so long. Lets appreciate the effort and hope they do it right.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:09 am

All the reading you should need on the Mustang and its history unless you really want to delve deeper into it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang

Wiki, not the most reliable source for some things but it's still handy. :P

darthknight72
Recruit

Post by darthknight72 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:23 am

I know a lot of peple on here would probably like to see KITT as a new camaro instead of a mustang.I like both cars and the new camaro is going to be a bad ass car.Maybe if GM didnt drag there feet about putting the camaro back in production NBC would have had another option but like i said over and over again the camaro isnt going to be available for over 1 year.Lets not be to romantic about Knight Rider and GM,if you remember GM didnt want anything to do with Knight Rider after people started asking if they could buy a trans am like KITT at there local pontiac dealerships,at least ford seems supportive of the new movie and possibly show.I hope after the show airs we can all stop talking about something nobody on here has control over anyways. :kittspin: :kitt:

David
Rookie

Post by David » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:54 pm

Yup. If GM had bothered to bring back the Firebird Trans Am a la the Camaro and actually wanted it used in Knight Rider, provided it looked good I bet you it would have been a shoe-in for the new pilot and series.

However, that DID NOT happen and, in my opinion, as far as I can see GM have been idiots regarding their car's involvement in the Knight Rider legacy ever since they made the ultra dumb move of insisting that the series stop referring to the Knight 2000 as a Trans Am.

:roll: WAY TO GO, HAMMERHEADS. :roll:

Just as it took an appearance in the Smokey and The Bandit series for Trans Am to get a world wide rep+following outside of hardcore car enthusiasts, Knight Rider revived the "brand" for the 80s (luckily, because Smokey Is The Bandit sure wasn't going to!). The original 1982 model in black is still a beautiful machine - well, at least while the pop up headlights stay hidden. :twisted:

Since Ford have a cool car and the brains to not only let Knight Rider use it, but actually get on board and "pony" up some series promotional dough (see what I did there?) that's what's happening.

After watching the promotional clips and especially the Leno segment, I have to say I am drooling over how cool that car looks. In a word or two, it is bad-ass! If I was a kid watching the new KR for the first time, I'd be as crazy about that Mustang as I was over the TA in the original series.

Job done, and pretty damn well too, imo.

It will be interesting to see which way G.A Larson and co go for their proposed feature film. Maybe GM will have had its head out of its ass long enough by then to realise that it needs Knight Rider a lot more than Knight Rider needs GM.

Here's hoping.

optimus
Volunteer

Post by optimus » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:07 am

Just to update you all....GM couldn't allow Knight Rider to use a Camaro nor a WS-6 Transam due to Transformer sequal with have both so FORD came in and scooped it up. See the new KITT has nanotechnology to absorb hits and for morphing capabilities into a transformer(see the big red button between the rear seats) plus repair itself instead of the invulnerable shell so they went with the Ford Mustang police car that was destroyed in the Transformer movie. Hence, Mr. Williams voice wouldn't match that personality but Mr. Arnett's will.

This KITT is a totally new KITT, instead of the upper and lower KITT dash, they went with an updated ONSTAR dash with head's up display. I know, I know...sounds alot like the red KITT but the execs didn't want to screw with it all since no idea if series would take off. Look up adiautotech and you'll see the prices for updating a 1982 Transam into a KITT (30K, yikes).

The KR3000 is to mainly appeal to the younger generation, not so much the old one(us), hence racing stripes, racing interior, chrome wheels, special ground effects, weird spoilers, dual hood and front end scanners (red light bars on front), etc. The SuperAI also has abilities like the TX(terminator). The young woman and Army guy are to evolve into a relationship that's more than Michael Knight and Bonnie's was.

knightendo_phil
Rookie

Post by knightendo_phil » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:29 am

knightjp wrote:no-one can deny that the Camaro would have looked better for the part.
No, that's your personal opinion. Not fact. So saying no one can deny it is a bit silly. It's not a denial, they went with what they thought was the better car, and I for one completely agree with them, the Camaro doesn't look tough enough to take on what KITT will have to do. I'm not "denying" anything! I'm stating my opinion, and my opinion is different, so what? To just claim that when I say that, that I'm only "denying" the fact that the Camaro would've been better is ludicrous, and not very nice.