In defense of the new series

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: In defense of the new series

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:43 am

MiltonKnight wrote:The choice for the car is very relevant, as we all have seen before. Just imagine if, at the time, KIFT was made from a REAL Banshee. ALL Black, almost like a vault, low to the ground, etc.. Do you really think it would not have gone farther?
As I've said in another thread, I think the problem fans had with the Knight 4000 was more that it was red than the actual car itself. If it were colored black, it certainly would have looked at least halfway better, especially with the red scanner. It's also important to note that the 1993 Firebird adapted the concept look of the Pontiac Banshee. So for those fans that believe K.I.T.T. should have remained a Trans Am, the idea of basing the Knight 4000 off of the Banshee (since Pontiac wouldn't let the producers use it) was actually the most logical choice for the next vehicle, whether fans want to believe it or not. Plus, even though it was actually a 1991 Dodge Stealth, for the movie it was at least still a Pontiac design.
Last edited by Lost Knight on Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:58 am

If the Banshee was black it would have looked much much better....

Anyway, I think that the two hour commercial thing stands where the car isn't going to apparently be changed visually and is still going to have all the emblems/logos (unless they have removed them) and will likely be "presented by Ford with limited commercial interruptions" which will mean all Ford related commercials. But in the end it it doesn't matter much as long as it's good and entertaining.... And doesn't piss me off. :twisted:
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

AtariKnight
Operative

Post by AtariKnight » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:13 am

It certainly was a shock, That they're are using a Ford!, I was actually expecting a Japanese manufacturer? (Mainly due to the popularity of "Street/Drift Racing", Along with the fact, That most racers drive Japanese Imports), However, I still quite like the direction they're heading in for the TV Pilot.........Even if it's not the prettiest thing to look at?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:37 am

I think it would have went further if Knight Rider 2000 wasn't such an abomination, though yeah if KIFT would have been painted black, at least one thing would've been made a lot better. The movie actually got really good ratings, but the response the opposite.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

knightstand
Recruit

Post by knightstand » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:25 am

I agree with the posters who were comforted that this KITT is an entirely new AI. This way they aren't destroying our friend...

The mustang will likley grow on me, but its a shock to me is all. But, this show is made for todays 13 year olds, not the 35 year olds who were 13 year olds when the first show came out.

I would like to see a episode in the new series (presuming it becomes a series) to have the new car meet the old one..kinda like in Star Trek when Picard met James T Kirk. That epidose would be awesome. The could get Daniels to voice KITT again..see the black T top again...

GTiGirl
Rookie

Post by GTiGirl » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:25 pm

HungarianKnight wrote:Dear Knight Rider fans!

As much as the Knight Rider community is shocked or at least amused by the introduction of the new Kitt, let us try to remain objective.

Let's face it, Knight Rider is 25 years old. It's a long time. Many things could happen during 25 years. The two world wars together were as not long as 25 years. 25 years ago the Trans Am was a good car. It looked badass, it had a certain character. The show gave it a new dimension, making Kitt a character of his own. With the wittiness of William Daniels, we fondly remember our good old Kitt.

25 years have passed. The Trans Am, while still a good car, now has a quaint charm, remembered only because of Kitt. Let's face it, without Knight Rider, only some car enthusiasts would have remembered it.

25 years have passed and the traditional concept of Knight Rider seems to re-emerge from dormancy. It is not some ill-concieved attempt of revival like TKR or Knight Rider 2000/2010. It's still one man who tries to make a ifference, driving the best of all cars.

After 25 years, the show needs a face-lift. Although we remember Kitt the Trans Am and Michael the Hoff, they have become old. And, to quote dear old Mickey from Rocky 3: "You know, presidents retire, generals retire, horses retire." The Hoff is not a charm-boy action hero anymore as well as the TA is not the coolest car around.

They have chosen the Mustang as the new Kitt. For us, old fans, it seems strange or even blasphemous. However, for those who have never or lttle known Knight Rider, they see a black badass talking car doing some spiffy action. They see a young loner on a crusade who helps the innocent, the helpless and the powerless but for them, it does not matter that this young loner is not Michael Knight anymore.

25 years have passed and those who enjoyed the original show as kids and youngsters are adult people, many of them have children of their own by now. The new generation is here and for them, Knight Rider will be about Justin Bruening driving a souped-up Mustang, te same way as for us, Knight Rider means David Hasselhoff driving a souped-up Trans Am.

I don't know exactly what this new show will be. It is destined to be different from the original as the world has changed much since the 80's. But it has potential for the new generation the same fashion as the original series had a potential for us, older fans. Many of us old Knerds will always compare the two and, of course, say that the original was better. At least I will, I know that even before seeing one single episode of the new series. But now, let us give a chance for te next generation of Knight Rider. It deserves it.

Thank you for reading this little defense of mine and feel free to comment.
I've read your comment and all i have to say is that is exactly the same opinion of mine. Very nice post, and hope contributes to all those who still a little "amused" with all these changes of Knight Rider, could think a little bit in all of what you said and change their "negative" opinions.

Let's give a chance to the new generation of KR, you'll see you gonna like it!

Regards to you all!
Knight Rider Portugal: http://knightriderportugal.forumeiros.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KNIGHT372
Volunteer

Post by KNIGHT372 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:45 pm

i cant wait till the new show comes out, im gonna like it alot. i dont think there is wrong with a little change and plus its not a remake its a sequel on the origanal knight rider!!! :kitt:

darthknight72
Recruit

Post by darthknight72 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:19 pm

Im a little surprised at all the backlash about the new TV movie and possibly the series.When i saw the 15 second teaser I almost jumped out of my seat I was so excited.As far as people getting upset about them using a mustang I think you have to realize they dont make a trans am anymore you can blame GM for that one.The new camaro wont be out for at least another year so thats out.This is a new KITT and a new show the Mustang is a hot looking car in fact i used to have a black 06 GT.The most important thing about this movie is the writing and the cast.Lets not be too romantic about GM and Knight Rider if you remember they didnt even want KITT referred to as a trans am,at least Ford seems to be 100% commited to the new show.I know we all love the old show and sometimes dont like change but if your gonna have the attitude that,Oh they are using the Mustang so the shows gonna suck then I feel sorry for you.I for one am gonna enjoy the crap out of knight rider just like when I was 10 years old.In fact I just might want to go out and get me a Gt 500 black of course.BTW of course ford wants people buying mustangs after watching this movie if it was a GM car or a dodge they would want the same thing,thats the whole reason all 3 of these companys wanted one of there cars to be the next KITT. :kitt:

Knight4life
Operative

Post by Knight4life » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:19 am

Hi everyone,
well at first when they unveiled the new kitt for the fist time,i was dissapointed.KITT was always meant to be a sleek,futuristic sort of car.But then again,these days getting sponsors is necessary as it wasn't back in the 80s.Corvette was a very fine choice,but then again you have financial constraints.so i think they were left with a mustang.i never have problem with muscle car looks.but KITT is no muscle car thingy.they should have re-worked atleast for the attack mode on the nose of the car.the front grill and headlights are annoying.but who knows,we may get use to with it as time passes by.Remember when at first the batmobile was unveiled for batman begins?every other fan was pissed off.But it looked kick ass in the movie,even better than other batmobiles.so give a chance to the tele-movie.who knows it might turn better.more over the shape i am concerned about the features of KITT.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:05 pm

Uhhh KITT and the Trans-AM was muscle car. I don't know why you're mentioning the Corvette, at least when it comes to the new series, I don't think it was ever an option since it won't be out until well after production ended. Plus Chevy is a part of GM, who as we already know wasn't interested. Yeah, the new Corvette isn't also an option due to price, unless GM would've been willing to give them several for free. I see durability probably wouldn't have been much of an issue, but that would depend on what type of carbon fiber is used on the car, but it's expensive and if they needed to fix damage it would likely cost production more than what a steel body would, unless again, Chevy/GM would've been willing to cover that cost, which I doubt they would even with all the free advertising.

They were "left" with the Mustang because it was pretty much the only choice that fit their criteria the deal with Ford certainly didn't hurt either. Back in the 80s was needed even back then, heck it always has been, back when television first started out shows were typically sponsored by products and the companies trying to sell them even during the show. The deal with Pontiac (another branch of GM) is that they apparently didn't like the attention KITT got and they seemingly saw it as a burden, which I can somewhat understand with all the idiots that are out there.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:47 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:They were "left" with the Mustang because it was pretty much the only choice that fit their criteria the deal with Ford certainly didn't hurt either.
I wonder if NBC Universal had the chance to even actually look for a car before Ford waved a check in their faces.
PHOENIXZERO wrote: The deal with Pontiac (another branch of GM) is that they apparently didn't like the attention KITT got and they seemingly saw it as a burden, which I can somewhat understand with all the idiots that are out there.
If anyone is to be called "idiots," it should be the executives at Pontiac. They gave away the first two 3rd generation Trans Ams instead of selling them, and missed out on the easiest money-making opportunity by not wanting the car referred to by name. Seeing as how classic K.I.T.T. was mostly stock on the exterior, it was always obvious that the car was a Trans Am, anyway. So their decision was probably one of the biggest blunders a car company (or any company, for that matter) could make.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Jeremy1973
Volunteer

Post by Jeremy1973 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:47 pm

This new K.I.T.T. imposter is a Ford shelby with a rice rocket spoiler on the rear end, a real slap in the face to the original Knight Rider fans and K.I.T.T. fans everywhere, The should have used a more sleek car if they were intent on making K.I.T.T. a ford, not a bulky, retro, looking Mustang. KITT is suposed to be a sleek advanced vehicle that looks like a fighter jet, not some retro Mustang that looks like an engine with a spoiler attached. This new Knight Rider will flop like the fish out of water that it is. They should have just used a new or prototype trans am so that the new KITT actually looks like it's related to the old KITT that Knight Rider fans love so much. The only thing the Pontiac and Ford "K.I.T.T.'S have in common is a coat of black paint and the ability to talk, thats about it. SHAME ON YOU ALL who had part in turning K.I.T.T. into a freakin Ford. SHAME ON YOU ALL!

:kitt: :kitt2:

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:31 pm

Jeremy1973 wrote: They should have just used a new or prototype trans am so that the new KITT actually
looks like it's related to the old KITT that Knight Rider fans love so much.
That wouldn't be possible, since GM/Pontiac have since discontinued production of the Trans Am.

Although I wasn't keen on the choice of a Mustang for the NEW KITT, I've accepted the choice, and so should you. The Mustang might not so sleek like the classic Trans Am was in the 1980's,
but at least Mustangs are still production vehicles, much like Trans Ams were back then.

It's the Knight Industries Three Thousand, and is built inside a modern Mustang. Deal with it.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:32 pm

Lost Knight wrote: I wonder if NBC Universal had the chance to even actually look for a car before Ford waved a check in their faces.
Yes. From the interview I posted in an earlier thread:

CS: When you were first putting together and developing the script, did you approach all the different car manufacturers asking them if they had a car that could be an updated version of KITT for "Knight Rider?" Or did you just focus on Ford?

Bartis: There was a whole team of people from NBC and Universal who were involved in this process. It was opened up because obviously NBC has relationships with lots of advertisers, among them all the car companies. So, at different points in time, we were in contact with different companies and were having discussions about what model would make sense for the show. Yeah, we did open it up pretty wide and go down that path with a couple different companies and Ford lucked out. They have been an incredible partner because not only did they have the car that we fell in love with; they have also been involved in the marketing of the show. They are very organically integrated in the whole production process.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:01 pm

anyone who has seen the episodes 'soul survivor' or 'junkyard dog' will know that KITT (2000 not 3000) was 'more than the sum of his parts and was NOT the car he was placed in...

darthknight72
Recruit

Post by darthknight72 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:34 pm

I know a lot of people on here are complaining about KITT being a new mustang and he should be a firebird and he should be sleek looking.The firebird doesnt exist anymore and even if it did it would be going down the same lines as the new camaro.A retro-looking car updated for today the same thing as the mustang.If GM made a new firebird tomorrow it wouldnt resemble a 3rd gen 82-92 body style it would more resemble the muscular shape from the late 60's along the same lines as the new camaro and mustang.