Original Knight Rider KITT for Sale--$150k

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

66batmobile
Volunteer

Original Knight Rider KITT for Sale--$150k

Post by 66batmobile » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:18 pm

http://www.myhotcars.com/used-cars.php? ... 352de178d1

Is this KITT real? What do you all think. Seems kinda pricey to me if it is real. Your thoughts?

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by J-Knight » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:34 pm

Yep it's real, It's George Barris' car isn't it?
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:30 pm

NO, It's not Barris's car. It is privately owned by someone in CA.
Brian - Knightdriver.com

BoMcD
Operative

Post by BoMcD » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:30 pm

That did the car a dis-service by "restoring" what he had gotten...

He replaced some of the original parts.... :shock:

That Tv Frame is obviously not real and the pods do not function...

I'd rather have 3 Turnkeys.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:30 pm

I believe it's one of the original cars. But $150,000 is nuts. I know the price is because it's an original car, but I can't imagine paying that amount of money for a car that probably no longer even runs anymore.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:57 pm

It runs with only 2,000 David Hasselhoff miles on it. =D
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:38 am

yeah but the engine is probabaly dead due to no running. The seal must be all cracked since GM didn't put the best quality in it

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:39 am

It even plugs into the wall. See picture of wheel.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

reverber
Rookie

Post by reverber » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:29 pm

imm not 100% sure but i believe the plug/wire hanging from the wheel arch is a lead that plugs into the car stereo for the aerial.

wmarino
Volunteer

Post by wmarino » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:09 am

Hi everybody...I haven't posted here in quite sometime but I thought I'd share my incredible experience with you guys concerning this car.

After reading this post a few days ago and realizing that this original KITT was only 45 minutes away from where I live, I thought to myself, "I gotta see it!" So my girlfriend called the place and asked if anyone could look at it and he told her, "yeah come on and down and check it out."

So we took a drive to see KITT and I gotta tell you guys, it was awesome! The car was parked in an area kind of away from the other cars and it looked amazing. The liscence plate read "KNIGHT" and still had MAY 1982 tags on it. There was official documentation from Universal Studios proving this was a real screen used KITT as well.

I also gotta say that Kassabian Motors is a very classy joint. Of course they knew right off that I wasn't there to buy it, but could tell that I was a huge fan and they answered my every question and let me take as many pictures and videos as I wanted.

But the biggest surprise was when he asked me if I wanted to sit in it! It was awesome! It was almost sureal to think I was sitting where DH sat! I also gotta say that it was pretty tough getting in and out of that thing with that dash. I'm pretty much the same height as DH and I don't know how he did it!

The car has it's original 305 V-8, and only has about 2500 miles. He also told me parking it in the show room was kinda challenging with that steering wheel!

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my experience with you guys. Today has been one of the greatest days in my life. If anybody lives in or near the San Fransisco Bay Area, I fully recomend seeing KITT before it's too late, you won't regret it. Here are some pics and videos for you if you are interested. Enjoy!

And here are a couple of videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqUO3W6OQ3E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X56BEXwm8IM

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:17 am

WOW, Nice one mate! How did he turn the dash on from the rear of the car? It looks like that from your second video anyway ;)
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

David
Rookie

Post by David » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:45 pm

1982 Pontiac Trans Am
305 V-8 engine
2,393 original miles
This vehicle has been "Title Only" never registered for street operation.
PHS documentation
This is one of the 3 original cars Pontiac donated to Glen Larson to film the Knight Rider TV series.
It is one of only 4 surviving T-top cars from the series.
(1083, 1084, 1087, 1177) None of the 10 series cars have ever been offered for public sale. Cars 1084 & 1087 are on display in museums. One in Keswick, England and the other in Auburn, Indiana. Car #1177 has had all electronics changed by a reproduction company and does not have any of the original equipment from the series.
This car was a Picture or Hero car used in all 4 seasons of the series. In season 1&2 it was car #1083, for season 3&4 it was renumbered #1197 (Both numbers still remain on the car.)
This car has been restored to it's original season 1 condition
Original dash with 2 operational TV's. One connected to a camera in front of the car, the other connected to a DVD player with the audio speakers hidden under the nose.
Original interior fabric (very rare and not available in reproduction.)
Receivers welded to the frame for towing and shooting close up shots
Stunt brake switch operational (installed by stuntman Jack Gill for rear brake lock up.)Electrical components will work on 12 volt battery or plug in to 110 current
Come take Michael Knight's place behind the wheel of one of the most famous cars in history!
~Sceptic Mode engaged~

Why would a hero car need the special stunt brakes? My guess is that while it may well have been the original hero car from the pilot (I really hope it is!) it was put into stunt rotation for later seasons.

Here's a link to pics of the car before it was restored. Note that the original fouth season wheel remains on the car and they've reused the Universal built dash overlays: http://www.knightfoundation.net/forum/v ... exsclusive

Wonder where the original Scheffe built dash is today? Could part of it be in this car? (albeit horribly canabalised! :shock: ): http://www.knightfoundation.net/forum/v ... php?t=6141

As Joe says, that sure looks like the original Scheffe vox box to me!

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:31 pm

I noticed that the voice box activated every time that the scanner sound sounded. KITT's voice box never activated with the scanner sound on the show though. :)

As for how he turns on the dash from the rear of the car, I heard a long time back that some cars you had to plug the dashboard in. Wonder if that was what he was doing with that electric cord that was shown in the wheel well?

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:56 am

Wow!! you are one lucky man. I would have loved to be in your shoes when you got to visit K.I.T.T. The sales person seemed to be very friendly and nice to let you sit in the car. It kinda is a shame though that most of the K.I.T.T. cars just sit around in museums and such, it would be nice to see some out on the road.
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

66batmobile
Volunteer

Post by 66batmobile » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:41 pm

I saw it on Sunday and it does look real nice & restored. I'm now curious how much is original versus new parts (Dash, seats, hubcaps, carpet, etc, etc). Would've been nice to see it almost all original.
At the price they are asking it will be sitting in their showroom for a long, long time. :?