Idea for the Perfect New KITT!

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Idea for the Perfect New KITT!

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:45 am

I think I have a good idea for a perfect "New" KITT:

Dashboard: visualize this and the interior in all black, with maybe a little modification here and there. Nevermind the car body though, something better in the other link...

http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/2006/11/sick_celica.html

And now for the body. Envision this in all black, with the thing below the lettering being the red scanner, and the nose piece fitted better to the car body, of course, so it's seamless:

http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/2006/11/ ... ona_i.html

The first one, that steering wheel - notice the gullwing? :)

Ok, everyone... 1...2...3....

DAAAYUMMM! :)

Is that just SICK or what? :shock: :twisted:

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by chrisjones » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:16 am

Are you on crack!?

No seriously though, yeah maybe the first car, but daynmm the second one is butt ugly!

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:26 am

It would be funny if they had Polished stainless steel Nitrous canisters in the back seats of KITT :lol:
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:43 pm

chrisjones wrote:Are you on crack!?
lol :lol:
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:08 pm

Agreed...the first car can maybe be conceivable. But it wouldn't be K.I.T.T.'s style to have old-fashioned guages like that no matter how pretty they look. The steering wheel could work, though.

But the second car looks more suited for The Dukes Of Hazzard than for K.I.T.T. And I have to agree it is butt ugly...
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:09 pm

Whatever. I was thinking the steering wheel in the first car because of the gullwing look.

The second car I didn't mean AS IS! As I said, with the front fastened on better, that thing under the text a scanner and no text/badges, just the car in all black. It's the shape of the nose... it's more like KITT than a lot of ideas I've seen.

And no, I don't do drugs. Ever.

I also hate rice rockets and jellybeans.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:04 pm

First one is a Celica. Any Celica after 1985 sucks. (Yeah, I like RWD.)

Second one, 70 Daytona Charger. (Bad Ass Car)

In Conclusion, the ultimate KITT will be a Corvette. T/A's arent in production so that wont work out. I think the Corvette has perfect lines for a KITT car.

My $0.02
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit

Post by chrisjones » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:54 am

Am I the only one thinking THEE ultimate KITT would be a 1982 Trans-am?

AusKnight2K
Operative

Post by AusKnight2K » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:00 am

chrisjones wrote:Am I the only one thinking THEE ultimate KITT would be a 1982 Trans-am?
Nope, totally agree with you there. The original and the best.

:kittspin:

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit

Post by chrisjones » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:12 am

I mean think about it - they could really play with the whole 'What THIS heap of junk is supposed to help me?' idea. I mean, why would anyone think that a car over 20 years old would be able to smash through walls, jump over lorries and fire rockets!? Retro is VERY in at the moment.

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:17 am

TurbomanKnight wrote:In Conclusion, the ultimate KITT will be a Corvette. T/A's arent in production so that wont work out. I think the Corvette has perfect lines for a KITT car.
IF and only IF they go with a new current model, I totally agree with you!

But my best guess is that KITT will be the new Pontiac GTO or the new Camaro because it would appeal to GM to promote one of these all-new models. The Corvette would probably not be as much of a promoter because of the higher price bracket. But again, I would rather see KITT as the Corvette - the Camaro is retro and the GTO probably will be too - so they don't seem to work for KITT.
One man did make a difference.

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit

Post by chrisjones » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:46 am

89IROCNDoug wrote:
TurbomanKnight wrote:In Conclusion, the ultimate KITT will be a Corvette. T/A's arent in production so that wont work out. I think the Corvette has perfect lines for a KITT car.

But my best guess is that KITT will be the new Pontiac GTO or the new Camaro because it would appeal to GM to promote one of these all-new models. The Corvette would probably not be as much of a promoter because of the higher price bracket. But again, I would rather see KITT as the Corvette - the Camaro is retro and the GTO probably will be too - so they don't seem to work for KITT.
Whats to say 'they' wont go with the idea of building a car from scratch? With todays budgets and production scales it wouldnt be out of the way to design a a car just for the film.

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:58 am

chrisjones wrote:
Whats to say 'they' wont go with the idea of building a car from scratch? With todays budgets and production scales it wouldnt be out of the way to design a a car just for the film.
Heck the almost done it in the OLDER film, knight rider 2000!
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:29 pm

89IROCNDoug wrote:

Yeah, because GM was so intelligent about marketting their car as the KITT car the first time around.... :roll:
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:46 pm

HOYAH ALL...

Hey, as a studied,scholared fan of Racing, the 70 Daytona had a very low drag/wind resitance-aerodynamic quality that the judges ruled against
and the design came out from Mopar in time for the 70s gas crunch...

I rode in a Daytona like that-what a russsssssh! ( But not Kitt/Karr-like )
The 82-89 T/A design comes close,as does the Vette & the Chryler Laser series-84-87...

Now as I posted a while back-for you car/tv series/movie buffs...
check out Black Moon Rising....( not bad but aerodynamic as a brick )
Linda Hamilton aint too shabby in the film-to see-mute the sound tho....

if it aint a refurbished,slight re-work of the t/a body-ala KITT/KARR-
IT AINT K.R. MATERIAL......
( Tho Alexondra Lee would be a great Dr.Bonnie Barstow )
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

Jay_n1
Operative

Post by Jay_n1 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:11 pm

KITT as a Dodge Charger.. Sure and we can paint it orange and put those knight symbles on the doors

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:12 pm

You can either have kitt in a 1982 trans am and have the stunts all CGI or have kitt in another car and have the stunts real.

It will cost a lot more to buy a lot of 1982 trans am's for one film and i doubt they would shell out the money.

Part of the appeal of the original show was that most of the stunts were real.

pezze87
Rookie

Post by pezze87 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:52 am

What I think, most of the appeal of the show were not the stunts, but Kitt himself. HE was the main Character! If they would bring out anew car as Kitt, no one, except the closest (?) fans would recognise it. But everyone, yeah everyone, would recognise the old Kitt! That's my point if view...
The Knight is back!

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:12 pm

I can't see KITT as the GTO (Holden Monaro) I wouldn't mind the concept Camaro. But I think KITT works so much better as the 82 Trans AM because all the functions work really well.

How much harder would it be to use another car without T-Tops for eject. I could see a cool SPM with the Camaro Concept.

The camaro concept has the perfect scanner placement too.

I think it shouldn't matter what GM say, its the 82 T/A for me. Hopefully with the season 4 dash and all the same stuff except without the Tape player and the monitor, it should be a nice LCD in the same casing.

AusKnight2K
Operative

Post by AusKnight2K » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:41 pm

Skav wrote:You can either have kitt in a 1982 trans am and have the stunts all CGI or have kitt in another car and have the stunts real.

It will cost a lot more to buy a lot of 1982 trans am's for one film and i doubt they would shell out the money.

Part of the appeal of the original show was that most of the stunts were real.
I think in today's moving making it would be cheaper and quicker to just use computers, there would be no wrecks to clean up afterwards!

Also back then, it didn't really matter that so many cars were destroyed in the stunts, as they could just go back to Pontiac and get more cars as they were still rolling off the production line in California. Today, it would be sacreligious to destroy them in stunt as once their gone, that's it, can't get any more of them.

While there is a lot of work involved in doing the stunts with CGI, you will never beat the sheer skill and talent of those stunt guys back then to create some of the best REAL footage we'll ever see.

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:33 am

Lets hope they can make some decent CGI then or just use mockups like using another car with a sort of cover over it to look like a T/A. Kind of like the one they use in stunts with bullets and hitting stuff except it would be hidden under another car body with the same wheels. Maybe.. that could work.

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:14 am

James_kr wrote:I can't see KITT as the GTO (Holden Monaro) I wouldn't mind the concept Camaro. But I think KITT works so much better as the 82 Trans AM because all the functions work really well.
I guarantee that KITT will not be the CURRENT GTO. I was talking about the NEXT GTO. I read somewhere (probably a car magazine) that Pontiac was wanting to come out with a car on the same platform as the concept Camaro and it would be a GTO instead of a Firebird. In the past, Pontiac always had the Firebird as the sister car to the Camaro. So if they go with the rumored game plan, Chevy will have the Camaro and Pontiac will have the GTO.

If this happens, the GTO will probably be retro like the Camaro. The current retro Mustang is a big seller here in the USA and the current GTO (Holden Monaro) has been a DUD because of the plain non-aggresive styling - even though the GTO is superior to the Mustang GT, performance wise.

Will the next GTO be a good KITT? Probably not, but who knows! :roll:
One man did make a difference.

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:20 pm

chrisjones wrote:I mean think about it - they could really play with the whole 'What THIS heap of junk is supposed to help me?' idea. I mean, why would anyone think that a car over 20 years old would be able to smash through walls, jump over lorries and fire rockets!? Retro is VERY in at the moment.
I agree with keeping the original Trans-Am. Retro IS very in, and people would just be like, "Oh, it's someone's old toy. That car can't do anything" and SURPRISE!!
I just love the lines of the original KITT. Nothing else is ever going to compete with that.
Of course this is coming from a person who is obsessed with the 80's...
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

AusKnight2K
Operative

Post by AusKnight2K » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:27 pm

SD_Chick wrote: I agree with keeping the original Trans-Am. Retro IS very in, and people would just be like, "Oh, it's someone's old toy. That car can't do anything" and SURPRISE!!
I just love the lines of the original KITT. Nothing else is ever going to compete with that.
Of course this is coming from a person who is obsessed with the 80's...
I refer to my previous comments! :wink:

I can never stop looking at pictures, photos, etc. of this car. I wish I knew who the design team were that drew the lines of the '82 Trans Am, I wonder if they had any idea that their design would have such staying power ... of course, Glen Larson helped them a lot!

That decade was way too short, I was having a great time and then all of a sudden the 80's left me and I was left wandering, "where did they go?" :(

Still, there is always something there to remind me ...

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:02 pm

ausknight2k wrote: I wish I knew who the design team were that drew the lines of the '82 Trans Am
I have the first testdrive report (driven in Laguna Seca btw) of '82 Firebird Trans-Am from finnish car magazine from 1982 and the article says the leader of the design team was John Schinella.

-KITTfan-