Weinstein company to put Knight Rider into overdrive

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

James_kr
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by James_kr » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:23 pm

Maybe the grills should be the way they were on the original KITT with a more rectangle shape with the driving lights. He should make a dash for it, I don't know whether they should keep the 4th season dash or make a new one but that might lead to them making a stupid computery looking dash. Running MS windows (shivers)......
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

Kitsune_Baka
Recruit

My thoughts...

Post by Kitsune_Baka » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:45 pm

Jobi Wan Kenobi wrote:Yah, I just read this on Cinescape. It sounds more like a remake than a continuation of the story like we've been talking about here. Hopefully they can still find a way to get DH involved.
Meh... I wouldn't pay $10 to go see another Knight Rider 2000 or TKR in a theatre. No offense to anyone here, but I think they SHOULD create a new storyline based around the pilot episode, Knight of the Pheonix. If this movie is going to be successful its gotta somehow appeal to the old generation, while still being fresh enough to get ahold of the new generation.

And there's always so many discussions over what KITT should be in the new movie, I think they should have him as a 2001 model 4th gen Firebird with a modified nose and maybe have a breif cameo appearance from the classic 1982 Trans Am.

---http://fireitup.ytmnd.com/

Hasselhoff has gotten too old to play Michael, and as much as hardcore fans of the series want him to be Michael, the kids aren't gunna wanna spend 2 full hours watching some guy with gray hair drive a car from the 80's. The Hoff should learn to do a brit accent and play Devon. Or he should have a very quick cameo like Lou Ferrigno in the Hulk movie. William Daniels should be shown in the flesh as a technician who works on and programs the car for Wilton Knight, that way there is some explanation as to why KITT has the voice that he does. Bonnie should be added to the equation EARLY in the movie, and they should have atleast one scene where the new KITT rolls out of a more widened semi instead of the tight fit from the original.

KARR could be reactivated by Com-tron or whatever evil company is trying to smash the Knight Foundation, or he could be saved for a later sequel, since its not really good to throw EVERYTHING into one 2 hour film. Save some stuff for later so ya got something to do in the next one.
Last edited by Kitsune_Baka on Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Kitsune_Baka
Recruit

Ugh... no continuations. No Michael and Bonnie children, plz

Post by Kitsune_Baka » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:08 pm

Lost Knight wrote:Whatever they do, I hope it won't be a remake of the pilot episode or anything like that. There's nothing but remakes left these days because Hollywood has been out of ideas for quite some time. I'd still see it, of course, but I'd be pretty disappointed if it wasn't a continuation. They should make the movie a continuation and still keep it fresh for people new to Knight Rider.
*sigh* If this movie is to win KR some new fans, it needs to be able to appeal to the younger kids too... not JUST us veteran fans. No 12 year old is gunna go see a theatrical film about an obscure 80's show, based after the plot and characters of an even MORE obscure made for TV reunion movie set in the future (which is now OUR past, since its now 2007) - No, they're not gunna pick up where KR2K or TKR left off because those both sucked and they're not gunna risk the legitimacy of the movie for a handful of fans who want it done that way.

Unlike us, the kids don't already know everything about Knight Rider. They need explanations of who the characters are and how it all started. A continuation based on KR2K would leave too much uncovered.

Larson himself even said that when they made KR2K they did it without his consent and they "lost the original meaning of the series" so if he dislikes KR2K I doubt he's gunna have his new movie based on it.

"NBC revised Knight Rider several years ago in the TV movie pilot Knight Rider 2000, but Larson (who wasn't involved) was disappointed by the results. "They missed the point," he observes. "I don't think they understood the series or what made it work in the first place. They went off in the wrong direction. The audience was there, but the movie didn't appeal to them."
-Taken from TeamKnightRider.com

"According to USA Today, Glen A. Larson is in talks with a major production company to write the script for the new Knight Rider movie. Larson intends that the film be a bit darker than the original series, utilizing "foxhole" humor." - Taken from Wikipedia

And I just hope to god they don't try to make KITT a Hummer or a Volkswagen Jetta. KITT was a Trans Am in the first series, so they should stick with Pontiacs. That was the appeal of the show, the fact it was an afforadable car that any Joe Schmoe could get and not some expensive Corvette or Lamborghini. If they gotta update him to something other than the original 1982 Trans Am, they should go with a 2001 model 4th gen T/A with an extended nose - http://fireitup.ytmnd.com/
Last edited by Kitsune_Baka on Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kitsune_Baka
Recruit

That's a Vette? Ewww....

Post by Kitsune_Baka » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:51 pm

Tarmac wrote:://i3.tinypic.com/xpd9xv.jpg[/img] And that quote from Larson about it being dark (like the pilot) is promising. I'm very thankfully that it's not going to be a comedic (read: mocking) spoof.
That's a vette? Where's the pop-up headlights? KITT wouldn't want composite headlights... I mean that was the coolest thing about him besides his scanner and his dash was watching his headlights pop up like eyes. And Vette's don't look nearly as good to me as the 2001 T/A. Though i agree with you about having the "darkness" that makes me happy.

Kitsune_Baka
Recruit

Post by Kitsune_Baka » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:13 pm

md_knight_rider wrote:First I gotta give credit to the originator of this work. His name is Matt. The only thing that I added was "pop up" headlight lines. If you look real close Matt even put in retro PMD seats!

Enjoy!
Now THAT'S something I might actually be able to bear as KITT.
But have you seen this??? http://fireitup.ytmnd.com/

md_knight_rider
Rookie

Post by md_knight_rider » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:50 pm

Kitsune_Baka is talking about this photo (if you missed it)

MD
Director - The Mid-Atlantic Knight Riders' Summit

http://www.mdknightrider.com

I project odds of a thousand to one against my meeting a more compatible human than yourself.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:09 am

THAT is the new KITT!!!

Kitsune_Baka
Recruit

Post by Kitsune_Baka » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:50 am

md_knight_rider wrote:Kitsune_Baka is talking about this photo (if you missed it)
MD
And that's just BEGGING to be two-toned.
Got a KARR version yet? ^___^
Some dash pics would also be nice.
Also how 'bout pics of the headlites popped up?
I think it should have two round ones inside each flap.
I think there was a 4th gen Firebird model that did that.

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:19 pm

The Bandit-esque pic could be used as KARR....THEN THE NEWER PIC FOR KITT.....DEF POSSIBS HERE PEOPLE!

HEY,IT GETS MY VOTE-GOOD JOB!
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:58 am

All has gone quite agian on the Knight Rider film front.

It seems lke loads of hope and news and then.. nothing.

Lets hope something concrerte come along soon.

ThunderChild
Recruit

Here's some food for thought

Post by ThunderChild » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:33 pm

I do agree that the new KITT should stay at least a black Pontiac, personally would have loved the 82 TA, but as has been said, kids today would snub the car. Love the idea in this thread, great work guys!

A quick google for Pontiac concept cars reveled these to me...

At http://www.autotrend.com/pontiacconceptall.html

My nominations for the new KITT from the above site:
Pontiac GTO
Pontiac Sunfire Speedster
Pontiac Rageous

Maybe the Pontiac GPX 300 and Pontiac_G6

Modo
Volunteer

Post by Modo » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:57 am

For me, it would have to be the GTO. It's the closest thing to KITT. And definitely NOT the Banshee II. Did we not learn anything from Knight Rider 2000?

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Pontiac Rageous

Post by Josch Schulz » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:36 am

Pontiac Rageous should be the best for the Job, I mean watch the front. Perfect for a Scanner. Looks like a Ram Air Trans Am

http://www.fedrelandsvennen.no/amcar/br ... c/rag.html

KOPP
Rookie

Post by KOPP » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:20 pm

LuvKITT wrote:Grrr...I don't like the sound of that. I don't want them replaced. I hope they don't do that. We need something where FLAG left off, not a restart. Geez.
I hate "replacements" too. They'll update KITT into this new, fat-looking (they design cars to look "muscular" these days, but they don't look muscular, they look fat and bloated) thuggish car to appeal to the idiot youth of today, I know it.

Actually, they've been talking about making a KR movie for YEARS now; I seriously doubt it will ever happen (until I make one myself, that is). LOL

KentuckyKITT
Rookie

Post by KentuckyKITT » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:23 pm

"Weinstein Company to Put Knight Rider into Overdrive"....more like Park....or Neutral. They can't even get out of 1st gear.

I went and read all 8 pages of this thread and have seen some very interesting takes on this. I especially like the Camaro concept turned Trans Am turned KITT with the large turbo cast wheels. That is awesome looking.

Personally, I don't care one way or another if they do this movie or how they do it. If they don't use an 1982 Trans Am...so what. Think of this... take Batman for instance. The two cars I think of are the 66 and the 89. I can't stand the 66. I think it's ugly as sin. But I ablsolutlely would love to be able to afford to build a replica of the 89..that car is so killer. There are those that love the 66 and despise the 89. Same thing applies here. There are those of us who feel like KITT will never be anything but an 82 Black TTOP Trans Am. I'm one of those.

Do you see me building that rediculous over fiberglassed red Dodge Stealth?? No. Am I building any of the TKR vehicles? No. I can't stand any of those vehicles. I'm building an 82 Trans Am KITT replica which will always be "Knight Rider" to me. It's an 80's Tv show. Yes it's past it's time and so is the 82 Trans Am, but I still like it and no matter what they use in the movie or how they do the movie...it's not going to change my feelings about the 80's Tv show or the 82 Trans Am.

An 82 Trans Am may not appeal to "today's generations" but, the 82 Trans Am is still MORE areodynamic than many of today's brand-new cars. At least it doesn't look like a bubble or box that some "fresh out of design school kid" created. Some of today's generation likes their "boxes" and their hideous insect looking cars. I'm happy for them.

Whether it be the 66 and the 89 Batmobile...or the 82 Trans Am and (whatever they come up with for the movie)...There will be those who favor the one they like the best.

Bryan
"KITT, if this is just a toy factory, I'm Peter Pan."

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:31 pm

My Pontiac 6000 is a 'box'. Love it! :) Actually I think it has some nice style to it for a sedan.

But I agree that the bubble look is only good for bugs. I never liked jellybean cars. :(

KOPP
Rookie

Post by KOPP » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:42 am

KentuckyKITT wrote:"Weinstein Company to Put Knight Rider into Overdrive"....more like Park....or Neutral. They can't even get out of 1st gear.

I went and read all 8 pages of this thread and have seen some very interesting takes on this. I especially like the Camaro concept turned Trans Am turned KITT with the large turbo cast wheels. That is awesome looking.

Personally, I don't care one way or another if they do this movie or how they do it. If they don't use an 1982 Trans Am...so what. Think of this... take Batman for instance. The two cars I think of are the 66 and the 89. I can't stand the 66. I think it's ugly as sin. But I ablsolutlely would love to be able to afford to build a replica of the 89..that car is so killer. There are those that love the 66 and despise the 89. Same thing applies here. There are those of us who feel like KITT will never be anything but an 82 Black TTOP Trans Am. I'm one of those.

Do you see me building that rediculous over fiberglassed red Dodge Stealth?? No. Am I building any of the TKR vehicles? No. I can't stand any of those vehicles. I'm building an 82 Trans Am KITT replica which will always be "Knight Rider" to me. It's an 80's Tv show. Yes it's past it's time and so is the 82 Trans Am, but I still like it and no matter what they use in the movie or how they do the movie...it's not going to change my feelings about the 80's Tv show or the 82 Trans Am.

An 82 Trans Am may not appeal to "today's generations" but, the 82 Trans Am is still MORE areodynamic than many of today's brand-new cars. At least it doesn't look like a bubble or box that some "fresh out of design school kid" created. Some of today's generation likes their "boxes" and their hideous insect looking cars. I'm happy for them.

Whether it be the 66 and the 89 Batmobile...or the 82 Trans Am and (whatever they come up with for the movie)...There will be those who favor the one they like the best.

Bryan
My gods, man...you voiced my opinions perfectly.

Akaihiryuu
Operative

Post by Akaihiryuu » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:42 pm

This movie has been talked about for so long I've lost hope that anything will ever come of it. Sadly, I'm considering it vaporware until I can go to a theater and see it. It's gone through something like 3 revisions so far, with still no production work done at all, or actors even announced. At this point I don't really care if Hasselhoff is in it or not...he was ok back in the series because he fit the part pretty well, but he's far too old to play a lead. I'm not sure if he'd make a very good FLAG leader/Devon type character either, he's just not the type. It'd be nice if he had a small cameo, but there are other things far more important. I'd really like to see William Daniels reprise the KITT role, but they could probably get along without him if the rest of the movie is done well. But at this point, after years of haggling, arguing over scripts, and tossing out production companies/getting new ones, we still have no actors, no script, no filming, not really any clue what kind of car KITT is going to be. This movie is vaporware, I really doubt it'll ever come out. I'd rather see it not come out than to see a poorly done 80's-series-to-modern-movie remake like some of the dreck that has come out recently.

KidlovingKitt
Recruit

Post by KidlovingKitt » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:48 pm

I hope David Hasselhoff will be in the movie...Also i love the old Transam Kitt,i hope they don't make a new car,for me no car can be as good as the "old" Kitt...

Modo
Volunteer

Post by Modo » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:59 am

My only concerns with this movie is that if they do a re-telling (which is rumoured) then it may be a little harder for the already established audience to accept because we don't like change too much. True, it would be good for a new audience because they are getting introduced to it at the very beginning, but then you'll get the butting of heads between the different generations of fans, the old-skool fans (us mainly) will probably keep making comments on how this is not like the TV show and they'll ask what the old show was like.

On the other hand, if they do continue the story from where it left off in the 80's and keep Hasselhoff and Williams as the main staple characters of Michael and KITT then there is the issue of what cast to build around them and what the car will be. I'm hoping that the writers will completely disregard Knight Rider 2000, because let's face it, it was awful! We don't want to see KITT in anything else that doesn't represent a TA.

Granted, they can't use the '82 model anymore as it's no longer manufactured and considering how many they used in the show for stunts as well, they needed a lot of stunt cars, and it's been said already than no new fan today is going to want to see Michael Knight driving around in a sports car that is 25 years old and not have something newer and more powerful.

I will admit, we Knight fans have a somewhat 'sentimental' attachment to the '82 Trans Am because it's what we grew up watching. But, this ain't the 1980's no more...unfortunately.

Having said that the Camero-turned Trans Am and then to KITT looks good. It does look a lot bigger and meaner, yet has that subtle link to the original KITT that we all know and love.

As for the dashboard...obviously it has to be updated so that it sends a message that they'll update for safety standards, like airbags for example, other than that, the dash' should be old-skool. I don't think there was anything wrong with the old dash from season 1-2 and I agree that it shouldn't be a computerised dash with windows operating, nah.

However, I do feel that KITT should have Internet Access, have LCD touch-screen monitors, a DVD drive (I like being old-skool and all, but tape decks are out!) and one of the key important factors, the voice modulator has to remain the same, as well as his scanner light at the front behind the grill. That is KITT's idenitifiable signatures and that should never change!

I did a picture of what I have as my KITT dashboard in my fan-fic series Knight Rider Special

Here's my dash

This is actually a re-working of what I did in MS Paint, this 3D-esque Dash was done by a pal of mine on Deviant art who you might know on this board as HungarianKnight, Good artist.

I think as far whom they should look for if they go with the angle to have someone play Michael's son, I personally think it should be someone who either looks like a young David Hasselhoff or just someone who could have that same kind of drive that Michael has. I'm kinda glad that Orlando Bloom didn't get the part, don't get me wrong I liked Pirates of the Caribbean, but he's not KR material. I think they should just do as they did with Hasselhoff, go for someone relatively unknown. It worked for the Superman movies with Christopher Reeve and Tobey Macguire for Spider-Man, so that's the way I think they should find the new-age Michael Knight or even Michael Knight Jr.

Anyway, I've said what I needed to say and I thank you for your time.

Edit: If the size of the picture is a little too much, then PM me and I'll reduce the size of it, thank you.

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:51 am

md_knight_rider wrote:Kitsune_Baka is talking about this photo (if you missed it)

MD
I think with all these great programs on tv showing what customised cars are out there [read Chip Foose and the like] i would imagine that this is quite possible!

Knight224
Operative

Post by Knight224 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:40 pm

While I am not very fond of a remake, if Glen A. Larson is the mastermind behind the new movie, it has my support it.
Knight Rider 2day 2morrow 4ever

Leaving the forum May 3, 2006. (Losing internet connection.) Thanks for all the wonderful memories!!! -- Dropped in Feb 18, 2008 to say 'hi'.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun May 06, 2007 6:10 am

Retelling of stories is what Hollywood is all about! theres very few original films coming out this year :lol: everything from Spideman 3 to Transformers is not new material. Simpsons and Shrek3 are hardly original either. Point is, its much easier to reboot a franchise for a new market. Knight Rider is now 25 (or so!) years old. You think some 10 year will go see a film if he can't figure out how the main character came to be!

KITT should be an 82's Trans AM, they should keep it a Pontiac? fat chance! It'll be who pays the most bucks to make a techno-advanced car. GM's were pretty savy and have their bandwagon for the year with Transformers (praying this is some good). I'm kinda sick to death with the KITT's gotta be this or that, just let it be. KITT's the computer not that car, and its not going to be a fundamental factor if the film does well or not. Its kinda ironic, but you look at the cars of today and its not the american cars (generalisation) that are leading the technology front, yet that is whats insisted as KITT for the next film???

Retelling is what I expect to happen. Its just been way too long since the original series for people to just pickup the KR mythology and run with it.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Tue May 15, 2007 3:41 pm

If Pontiac doesn't make their own version of the new Camaro, and this film ever gets off the ground, I hope the producers go with that car, because it's got the right look for KITT.

That's a big "if," of course.

I agree with you on the reboot, Sarfraz; it worked for Batman and Bond, and will hopefully work for Star Trek, so as long as someone's willing to make a movie that's entertaining but not stupid, KR should benefit from a reboot as well.

DarKSLaiN
Operative

Post by DarKSLaiN » Mon May 21, 2007 7:28 pm

i would pay to saw something like this...

High Res images and comparation here :
http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2 ... 0241693858

Greets! :D[/img]