What to do when buying a 1982-1983 Pontiac Trans Am?

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by CJaguar442 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:55 pm

correct me if am I wrong here:

1. intial call to advertiser: ask for documentation and check the vin number of the car

2. verify and inspect

3. payment

4. transportation

5. delivery

6. final thoughts
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:41 pm

Definatly go see the car in person. Try to find one locally. Don't go after one thats on the other side of the country. There are too many crooks out there. Take your time and it doesn't have to a 1982-1983 transam to make it into a kitt replica.

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:12 pm

thanks nelson, in my home state of massachusetts any pontiac trans am is hard to come by, but i will take your advice. i have heard horror stories of buying used cars out of state on tv. but in my state i dont have to pass emissions on the state inspection sticker only safety if a car is 1983 or older. plus they dont make them like they used too
Save the Clocktower!

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:17 pm

you are right plus they usually charge a dollar per mile for shipping anyway

if i bought a car in LA for $5000.00 to ship it to Boston that would add $3000.00 to the total $8000.00 unless the dealer or owner would pay the the shipping and that would rarely happen with my luck

Iwould most likely stick to the east coast if i could not find one near my home.
Save the Clocktower!

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:25 pm

You may have to go with a 91 or 92 transam remember an 82 is now 25 years old. It will either be a piece of junk or somthing in mint condition where the owner will want an arm and a leg for it. I'am sure glad that I bought my 82 transam 15 years ago. Because I knew back then these cars will be hard to find. And they will even get harder if the new knight rider tv show features a 1982 kitt.

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:02 am

I know of someone in S.C that is trying to sell an 82 TA, but that might be too far away.
Also, trailer dealers often rent out flatbeds. If you can find someone with a pickup truck it might be easier to do your own hauling job if you have a non-running car or one far away.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:03 am

Also, keep in mind that their design wasn't the best on keeping the weather out. I agree with being able to see and inspect the car in person. Major rust damage from years of rain is something you want to avoid.

Then again, I do remember the story from years ago on this very board about somebody's prize Trans-Am. They bought one and put a couple miles on it, somehow parking it inside a building suite. And, there it sat as a prize trophy for twenty-some years. The engine might try and self destruct from ancient rubber seals if one even tried to start it up without a complete engine rebuild...

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:49 am

i have heard of people who inspect vehicles professionally for you if the vehicle is some diastance from you. i fonud one car in south carolina too, a 1983 25th daytona 500 edition at a dealer and carfax check the vin if the seller wont give up the for a carfax history report you know there is something serious with the car
Save the Clocktower!

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:51 am

car cancer is a problem with all used cars thats why my state is not a good choice
Save the Clocktower!

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:07 pm

Yes you probably should start looking in the states that are south of you. Have you also looked at the foundation and knight registries websites. There seems to be several kitt replicas for sale in the classifieds.

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:53 pm

by making a knight rider conversion how much does the value of the car increases or decreases?
Save the Clocktower!

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:56 pm

I should think it would do both.

To anybody that is a collector and/or wishes to be a proud owner of a KITT converted Trans-Am, the value rate of obtaining such a car for sale could easily surpass ten thousand in value. Granted, the conversion would have to have been done correctly. And, the physical condition of the body would also be key.

I rather doubt that an official source of quotes, say Kelly Blue Book, would hint that owner upgrades of such magnitude, is considered a positive thing. At the very least, it drops off from that 'factory new condition' category. Then again, just what the value of a decent condition Trans-Am runs for, I'm unsure. Tempted to say $2,000-$4,000 for an '80s Trans-Am with virtually no body damage with an engine that runs well, functional transmission and a well kept interior. With the modifications that cut into the frame, completely redesign the interior and such probably drop the value to salvage, officially. But, to the collector, sky rocket the value to far greater then the original cost of the vehicle.

There's also the fact that a properly converted KITT can't be legally driven on the streets. Any show piece that must be towed from destination to destination loses all functionality worth in place of art work value.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:15 pm

http://www.adiautotech.com/turnkey.htm

As per Don Colie's site, a turnkey option (which is a fully functional completed replica) can cost up to $40,000.00.

As for being street legal, cops aren't fond of these old F-bodies regardless if they're replicas or not (at least here in New York). A handful of things I can think of that would make a K.I.T.T. replica illegal would be the lack of a front licence plate; lack of seat belts; the red scanner light; and the lack of a rear view mirror. I'm not sure about the gullwing steering wheel, but that would probably cause problems as well. But all of these things can be modified for road trips and then switched back and forth for shows.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:38 pm

The blackouts over the rear lights. The gullwing. The monitor(s) on the dash. Those are just some additionals to the already forementioned illegal issues that I recall.

Someone had a very complete list typed up and posted, quite some time ago.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:11 pm

K.I.T.T. replica illegal would be the lack of a front licence plate
Would have to check with your state on that, but their are many after market alternatives to this that do not require cutting or altering your front bumper.
lack of seat belts
Why in the world.... I would hope only museum or show only cars would remove the seat belts for that accurate of a look... that's just crazy.
the red scanner light
Do NOT drive with your scanner on and you will be fine. I have thin red plexiglass with a thin black out in front of it, so my scanner is completely black during the day. Sometimes when the light hits the scanner it can look like it is on and get you in trouble.
and the lack of a rear view mirror
Its DOT law that if you have both side mirrors, then you do not "NEED" a review mirror. Panel vans for example do not have rear view mirrors.
not sure about the gullwing steering wheel
This by DOT standards is illegal in all 50 states. You must have a complete closed circle style steering wheel. I look forward to the day when someone comes up with a nifty quick release set for these babies.
The blackouts over the rear lights.
The blackouts in the Cincinnati area can be up to 60% black. Need to check your local laws on this.
The monitor(s) on the dash
On my dash I have a GPS as the first monitor and a the other monitor goes to a tiny camera in my trunk which has replaced my review mirror, both of which are NOT illegal to be in the view of the driver. Now if I was watching Knight Rider on one tv and A team on the other... that could be a problem.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:15 pm

One thing that can be a problem that you can't get around is the 3rd/4th season front noses, which do not have turn signal blackouts. Therefore, the owner would not be able to signal from the front, unless they use the old-fashioned hand signals.

As for the gullwing wheel, I'm no cop, but it sounds to me like it would be an equipment violation, which, if written a ticket for, can generally be dismissed if you can provide the traffic court with proof that you had it replaced within a certain amount of days. Or, you can leave it and just pay off the tickets, which are relatively cheaper than, say, speeding tickets, or other moving violation tickets. And those types of tickets don't hold any point violations (in New York State, anyway).
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:17 pm

the gullwing steering wheel is illegal if your car came with driverside air bags from the factory which is DOT

in my state could careless if the car did not come from the factory without airbags the black out tailights maybe, the red scanner yes, amber scannner no, if it had came with air bags then yes otherwise no. they would care more about the lights seatbelts which i would not remove and tint

and if i made one its not going to be a trailer queen for sure it would be my daily driver

"live life do not fear it" "Live free or die"
Save the Clocktower!

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:22 pm

any body know you could purchase a GE t700 used or new in new england
Save the Clocktower!

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:19 pm

You're state might not care about the airbags, but if you are in an accident....god forbid... I PROMISE your insurance company will.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:32 pm

Yeah- what do insurance companies think of replicas? Not to hijack the thread, but a consideration for anyone that wants a replica.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:51 am

i was refering to was that a car from the 80's other than a mercedes benz did not come with air bags. so the 1982 -1983 pontiac does not fall into that category. you are suppose to tell the insurance co. if you remove the air bag but again a car from 1982-1983 had no air bags. sorry for the confusion.
Save the Clocktower!

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:00 am

there are insureance companies who specialize in custom cars like grundy but dont choose them becuase they are really strict on how and when you can drive the car. try to contact your local insurance companies or dmv. i hope this helps sd chick
Save the Clocktower!

Deferranfan1
Operative

Post by Deferranfan1 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:44 pm

It all depends on where you live also for these legal regulations. I know where in live in a smaller town in wisconsin, with tint on my current 03 bonnieville the tint is illegal but I have found out from a friend who is a cop that no one in the area has the things to test the tint but the lone state trooper in the area. So ask around where you live and see what you can get buy with.
K.A.R.R. STILL LIVES
:kittspin:

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:08 pm

Hey Cjag....T.a.h.o.e. here.... I am also a New England native.....Sorry bout the late post.... a friend just sold her 87-T/A -yes boys I said "her" & t'was in primo shape...
got a new owner in Conn. good luck to him.
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:58 pm

if you see a 1982-83 t/a or firebird for sale let me know i am looking at 3 right know on the east coast. one in rhode island about 52 miles from me
Save the Clocktower!