NEW Knight Rider Pilot in Development at NBC - THIS SEASON

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

NEW Knight Rider Pilot in Development at NBC - THIS SEASON

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:08 am

From Variety:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797 ... 4&cs=1&p=0
NBC taps Liman for 'Knight Rider'
Network readying two-hour backdoor pilot
By JOSEF ADALIAN
Liman

Original 'Knight Rider' was a hit for NBC from 1982-86.

NBC is bringing back "Knight Rider," tapping Doug Liman to produce a "Transformers"-inspired reworking of the 1980s hit action-drama series about a man and his indestructible supercar.
Peacock is readying a two-hour backdoor pilot for the project, with tentative plans to air it as a telepic later this season. Liman is open to the idea of directing, assuming his feature sked allows. If the telepic clicks, a new-model "Knight Rider" could be on the air as early as next fall.

Dave Andron ("Raines") is writing the pilot script and will serve as supervising producer alongside exec producers Liman and Dave Bartis ("The O.C.," "Heist") for Universal Media Studios and Dutch Oven Prods.

Success of "Transformers" had a role in inspiring NBC Entertainment chief Ben Silverman's decision to revive "Knight." The thinking is that smallscreen f/x have advanced to the point where it'd be feasible to have a weekly series in which cars shift shapes.

It's also likely the new show will explore the idea of "evil" cars to offset the heroic talking K.I.T.T. car of the original skein, which starred David Hasselhoff. That said, skein is expected to essentially remain focused on the story of a single man fighting for justice with the help of his superadvanced car.

There's also huge potential for advertiser integration. General Motors was all over "Transformers," and it's easy to see NBC striking a rich deal with a single automaker to serve as the exclusive auto brand for the new "Knight." It's understood preliminary talks have already begun.

Peacock is also veering from current conventional wisdom by moving forward with a telepic/backdoor pilot for "Knight." Nets rarely produce telepics with an eye on turning them into series anymore, in part because the telepic has essentially disappeared from the broadcast network scene.

But NBC execs no doubt feel "Knight Rider" is enough of a pre-sold brand to lure an audience. What's more, the telepic could serve as a good replacement for repeats come spring, perhaps replacing an encore of "Heroes" or "Bionic Woman."

"Knight" originally aired on NBC from 1982 until 1986, with Hasselhoff playing smooth crimefighter Michael Knight. A spinoff skein, "Team Knight Rider," aired in syndication during the 1997-98 season.

Project was put together by CAA and Adam Kolbrenner of Madhouse Entertainment.

Glen Larson created the original "Knight Rider" for Universal Television.
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:23 am

Thanks for the info, call me cynical but I'll believe that when I see it. Variety sounds like a good source though right?

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:09 am

The thinking is that smallscreen f/x have advanced to the point where it'd be feasible to have a weekly series in which cars shift shapes.
I don't like the sound of that one bit. KITT is a talking car, not a bloody Transformer. The only special effects that they should be worried about are weekly Turbo Boost's, Ski Mode's and the like.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:28 am

I'm not sure if they meant a more realistic transformation of say SPM or C-mode....rather than turning into a SUV!!

Thats just an example, but I doubt we'll see anything as extreme as say the gadget-mobile turning from mini-van into a car :twisted:

Sarfraz

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:38 am

sarfraz wrote:I'm not sure if they meant a more realistic transformation of say SPM or C-mode....rather than turning into a SUV!!

Thats just an example, but I doubt we'll see anything as extreme as say the gadget-mobile turning from mini-van into a car :twisted:

Sarfraz
From reading that article, Transformers is heavily influencing the decision that has apparently been made, so I'm more thinking of how dire it would be to see KITT transforming into something akin to the movie version of Bumblebee. ;)

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:31 am

What Hasselhoff will be doing during this time - TALES FROM THE HOFF:

http://www.eonline.com/news/article/ind ... eaef6b7455

Joe

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:56 am

Ok, we have had a message on Knight rider uk, from someone close to Glen Larson.
Ok this is the story,

Glen informed me the other day that as a backlash for his choice to pursue making a motion picture of Knight Rider, Universal called up his office and threatened to make a new Knight Rider tv series and release it before Glen could finish the movie. This poses direct competition with Glen's efforts to revive the Knight Rider saga himself and this makes absolutely NO SENSE because the irony is that Glen was considering going back to Universal anyway having become increasingly less enchanted with the Weinstien deal.

I would have informed people ahead of time that this was coming but Glen specifically said to wait and see what Universal was going to do...obviously Universal has fired first.

Universal was second in line to option Glen to make the movie should the Weinstien deal fall through. This move on their part is rediculous and and quite frankly petty. They're trying to force Glen's hand and this is wrong. There's not much Glen can do to stop Universal from making a new Knight Rider TV series or made for TV movies since they still own the rights.

This is how they made Knight Rider 2000 and TKR without his involvement. So I am here to explain both sides of this story.

Despite this release on their part the sad thing is Glen may still yet go to Universal with the project if they offer him a good enough deal and this would then table the tv series threat being posed to him. It's not fair but it's business. We'll have to wait and see what happens with that.

First and foremost, yes this is true and I would really like to know who broke this story first because Glen needs to know asap so his lawyers can start looking into things. I thank you for bringing this to my attention Nick, rest assured there is going to be a great deal of backdraft from Universal's decision.

If this series is created by Universal, it is not being made to relaunch the series nor is it to draw in new viewers or for the fans. This series is Universal's attempt to couple together a sub-par rushed project with intentions to try and sideline the movie Glen has been working on getting to the big screen.

This series will not be Glen's vision, it will be another train wreck waiting to happen like the other knock off shows Universal has churned out.

I've sent Glen an email with the copy of this article, I need to know where it came from ASAP.

=VK=
More info to come through-out the day/ weekend.

Nick

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:13 am

This is intriguing and tragic at the same time...

Intrigue - Knight Rider is coming back... maybe. But as a backdoor pilot? That usually means that it is going to spin off from an existing show.

Tragic - The drama behind the scenes with Glen Larson - now I know that Nick trusts his source who is on the board - but I am sure we would like that source to come and converse with us as well? Yes?

[edit] I don't mean to undercut your board Nick. What I mean is that I am sure many others are skeptical about the source. *Note, it would help to read the thread on KRUK to understand some more backstory*]

Intrigue - The plot

Tragic - The plot.

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:30 am

Well, Variety has always been a pretty reputable source, and it looks like they are reporting from a press release. The story has since filtered to other entertainment websites, such as Ain't It Cool News and E-Insiders.

While I am always excited at the prospect of new Knight Riders, I don't like the idea of crossing KR with Transformers. Each subsequent version of the show has moved progressively further away from what Knight Rider was in the first place -- The Lone Ranger for modern times. That's a great premise, and is being totally wasted. I'd like to see a new version run with that idea, and that is what I was hoping Larson would do.

I will be watching this new story unfold with great interest...
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:32 am

That's interesting, it's good to know, that something's going on and don't stand at the same place, but i prefer Glen making movie/tv series, he is only one who knows what Knight Rider should be. I prefer to wait for Glen vision of Knight Rider than see a crapy movie with Knight Rider title, like Knight Rider 2010. I liked Knight Rider 2000 and Team Knight Rider, but it wasn't such good as the original Knight Rider, so i think the Knight Rider movie/tv series should be created by Glen A. Larson. I liked movie Transformers too, but i think Knight Rider should stay as Knight Rider, the Transformers should stay as Transformers, that's my point. All in all, i'm happy, that something's going on with Knight Rider and i hope we will get the best we could get.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:26 pm

I don't think we should get too hung up on the Transformers connection. Hollywood projects get pitched and promoted by comparing them to whatever is hot at the moment. You could describe Airwolf as "Knight Rider with a helicopter", but that doesn't mean the helicopter talks. Knight Rider could be like Transformers in the sense that they both have crime-fighting cars. I'm not worried about it yet.

As far as the Glen Larson drama is concerned, again we have to have more information. Although yesterday's article contains some new details, the new Knight Rider TV project was mentioned over 4 months ago in Variety (along with new versions of "Voyagers" and "Fantasy Island"). So this article should not be news to Larson. Again, we'll wait and see.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:04 pm

The scan of the original article, front page of Variety:

High Resolution version:
http://www.knightridermovie.com/2008/va ... 27-07b.jpg

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:58 pm

doug liman directed bourne identity, mr and mr smith, swingers and GO.

he's proven he can do action well and without crappy special effects. Would give me more confidence than say McG or Michael Bay.

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:58 pm

It's on Comcast news- that's why I came here after reading that.
I just hope they don't miserably screw it up.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:38 pm

It's great to hear some KR news after such an extented lull. As much as I loved Transformers, I think turning KITT into one would just be too extreme for Knight Rider. I'll be optimistic though and go with what Michael had to say; that Hollywood is just comparing the two since both featured super high tech vehicles. I do, however, like the concept of "evil cars." It could mean a very good possibility that KARR could show up, but I wouldn't want the entire show based solely upon Michael and KITT battling these "bad guy" veichles. Either way I'm very interested to see where this will all go. :D
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:03 pm

I agree...I'll believe it when I see it....tho a bionic remake is not a long shot....with a price tag of say...6 Billion Dollars- as opposed to a rumored remake 8 years ago of the 6 mill $ man....of course we got the Bionic Woman out now.... and to be fair,some shots...pretty cheeze!

if KR is reborn like so many other shows potentially pending....
("Airwolf"."A-Team"- "Lost in Space"-yeh it may happen - "Voyage to the Bottom of
the Sea" & "Thunderbirds" &"UFO" well, KR had better be done right...we hope unless the movie gets done...

Unlike the next highlander movie which is set to premier on sc-fi channel- yuck!
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:17 pm

that seems interesting that they bringing back Knight rider. but dont trust NBC they are becoming more like Network 23. they might axe the show right in the middle of the 1st season for no reason at all.

Jill Hennessy would make a great Bonnie

David Duchovny as Michael Knight
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

GNR2K6
Volunteer

Post by GNR2K6 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:37 pm

This is going to be as bad if not worse than Team Knight Rider and Knight Rider 2000 if they don't have at least Glen on board that knows what the fans of the show really want to see and make it work. This sounds like cheap and pathetic attempt to lure an audience off of the name "Knight Rider," but without staying true to what made it a great show in the first place. Without even Hasselhoff or anything original about it, calling it "Knight Rider" is a joke and a complete rip-off that will disgrace what made the real series that people will always remember when they hear the name Knight Rider so great.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:57 pm

I am not sure what to think after all the rumors and stuff that went on the past couple years (was it?) or so about the movie, series, TV shows, etc.

I admit (and am glad) that K.I.T.T. and Knight Rider still are popular and showing up as cameos on TV shows, commercials, movies, etc. That also might have been some of it.

As for Transformers, I don't know. I haven't seen the movie yet (I'm waiting for the DVD to come out).

All I hope is IF they make such a show, that it's not on cable where I can't see it (if it is, at least I hope they will also provide an iTunes subscription to the episodes) and that it's entertaining.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:58 pm

Oh yeah - and I DO hope KARR comes back! :twisted:

I wonder what the cars themselves will look like?

JimmyPSHayes
Operative

Post by JimmyPSHayes » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:44 pm

I'm very hopeful for the new TV movie. I really like Transformers and done right, it could be a pretty sweet marriage. But I have to agree that at this stage, they're using Transformers more as a "buzz word" than anything.
-I'm not too sure what to make of the Larson debacle. I really hope that the parties aren't just doing this to call the others bluffs and that they aren't just making moves to freeze the other parties project. After all, if NO new Knight Rider gets made, then no one makes any profits.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:20 am

....I think some people are jumping the gun abit. I don't seriously think we'll see a Transformers KITT.

""Transformers"-inspired reworking of the 1980s" ....that to me basically means bringing the show up to date. Nothing more. If you take the TF film, thats exactly what they did. They adapted the mythology and made it more current rather than based in the 1980's as it originally was. They blended quite a few continuities (comic, G1 TF and abit of Beast Wars) and merged it into the new film.

"The thinking is that smallscreen f/x have advanced to the point where it'd be feasible to have a weekly series in which cars shift shapes."....again, I think some people confused the issue with the Transformers line. The critical word is shift shapes. This to me suggests something alittle more subtle than turning into a robot. I don't for a moment think this means anything more than what happens on Viper I guess....but a more realistic execution.

A final thought. Taking the TF film as an example. It is Hasbros property, though someone else created the story to fit the toys. The only thing the new film linked to the past was the voice of the original Optimus Prime.....

Sarfraz

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:57 am

IMDb announced about new Knight Rider series too:

David Hasselhoff's classic '80s TV show Knight Rider is set to return to the small screen. The series, about an agent and his talking super-powered car, is being reworked and produced by The Bourne Identity filmmaker Doug Liman for NBC. Liman is considering directing the new show's two-hour pilot, which could hit screens in autumn 2008, reports Daily Variety. If successful, a full series will follow. According to the trade paper, the new Knight Rider project is inspired by summer blockbuster Transformers.

Source: http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/#celeb8

Cinemablend report:

This week, Jaime Sommers returned to the small screen with the fairly successful premiere of Bionic Woman. So it seems only fitting that it was reported yesterday that another vintage TV character could be gracing the airwaves some time next year. But who is it? I’ll give you a hint: He has a talking car.

Ok, if that hint wasn’t totally obvious, you were either living under a rock back in the 80’s or you weren’t born yet. Variety recently reported that NBC is bringing back Knight Rider! Interestingly enough, it wasn’t the re-imagining of Bionic Woman that inspired the Peacock to bring back Michael Knight and his talking car, KITT but rather, the success of the summer blockbuster, Transformers.

Variety stated, “Success of "Transformers" had a role in inspiring NBC Entertainment chief Ben Silverman's decision to revive "Knight." The thinking is that smallscreen f/x have advanced to the point where it'd be feasible to have a weekly series in which cars shift shapes.” Doug Liman, who directed The Bourne Identity (and produced the two sequels that followed) has been brought on board to produce the new version of the series.

Variety also suggested that there’s a good chance that we’ll see a “backdoor pilot” for the series sometime this spring. This means that rather than unveiling the new series in the fall, NBC might air an extended pilot episode at some point during the spring season when some of their regularly scheduled shows are on hiatus. It would basically be a sneak preview for the series. We saw something like this last spring when ABC crammed the pilot episode of Private Practice into a “special two-hour episode” of Grey’s Anatomy. In the case of Knight Rider, since this series isn’t a spin-off, its highly unlikely that NBC will try to squeeze the intro Knight’s new story into an episode of Heroes. Although I do think it might make for a hilarious Office episode if Knight and KITT showed up at Dunder-Mifflin. Maybe not.

Source: http://www.cinemablend.com/television/N ... -6565.html

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:11 pm

Ooooooh God please No....no transformer anything pertaining to KR.....

THAT'D BE AWFULL....B'SIDES , DIDN'T K.I.T.T. TRANSFORM WHEN HE WAS GIVEN SPM....? (sorry bout the caps--finger slippage )

Duchovney...too old to play the role...
Dr Barstow....? the candidates can line up now !

the voice of KARR - ditto ( yeh he 's gotta be in it )
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:42 pm

Interesting development to hear about this new series... sounds like a big "fight" is about to go down.