Knight Rider without the Hoff...

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

scottab21
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider without the Hoff...

Post by scottab21 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:46 am

Hey guys and gals, found this article on topix.com...9/22/06

Knight Rider without Hasselhoff

It seems that David Hasselhoff won't be appearing in the Knight Rider movie, well if Glen Larson has anything to do with it. Seems as though there's been an ongoing push and pull relationship between the two, and Larson has sold the rights away from Hasselhoff.

So there's a chance he could still be in it, although that is up to the Weinsteins and the deal they made with Larson for the rights, but right now it's not looking positive. A Knight Rider film without the original Michael Knight?

The extensive rumours come through two anonymous sources who wrote to AICN independently, both seem to back up each other's story.

Also mentioned is the fact that the recent KITT picture isn't the finalised version and that the film will basically deal with the first episode of the series, the creation of the crime fighting duo of Michael and KITT. It seems that the studio might want another franchise of films.

Well I like the idea of a Knight Rider film, and I would love for Hasselhoff to get a bit part as a nod to the series, but a whole franchise? I'm not so sure it would work to see a man and his high tech car fight crime in today's society. Can it go off road in Afghanistan and Iraq?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:25 am

Please do not hate me for writing this: The Hoff is an old, obsolete boozer, he looks 20 years older than his age because of the alcohol. He is no more Michael Knight. Try to imagine him in the good old leather jacket, chasing criminals. He would spit his lungs out! Imagine him with his pouchy eyes, starring out from Kitt's windshield. No, David Hasselhoff grew out of Michael Knight's character. Here in Hungary we have a saying: Freshening of the blood. It means that some changes are needed in a specific system in order not to get is too obsolete. Knight Rider is a system like this too. It needs new faces, a completely refurbished Kitt, but with the original spirit and soul.

psvl6
Recruit

Post by psvl6 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:46 pm

I am sorry by I do not agree with your opinion at all. I believe that David Hasselhoff is and always will be the Knight Rider. Yes, David has had some problems through the years but he is only human. I think David would be great as the Knight Rider. He knows the part better than anyone and he believes in the show more than anyone else could. I think David looks great. No he doesn't look the same as he did when the show first came on, but he does not look 20 years older than his age.

Pam

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:44 pm

psvl6 wrote:I am sorry by I do not agree with your opinion at all. I believe that David Hasselhoff is and always will be the Knight Rider. Yes, David has had some problems through the years but he is only human. I think David would be great as the Knight Rider. He knows the part better than anyone and he believes in the show more than anyone else could. I think David looks great. No he doesn't look the same as he did when the show first came on, but he does not look 20 years older than his age.

Pam
i agree, he does look pretty good for his age at the moment. We already know what he will look like driving KITT or looking out the windscreen/windshield, in the Jump in my Car video he was driving and they used the same camera angles they did in the show.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:53 pm

I think you're missing the point, Hungarian Knight. For one thing, Hasselhoff is not obsolete; if anything, he's probably as popular now as he was 10 years ago when Baywatch was starting to fade away. He has a new book, CDs, his theater work, many well-received movie roles (Click, Spongebob cameo...) Obsolete? No way.

Secondly, there are MANY older actors starring as action heroes. Ian McKellen. Patrick Stewart. Harrison Ford. Hasselhoff is in as good if not better shape than any of them.

Third, who is to say Hasselhoff as Michael Knight would have to be the main star of the film? On many occasions, Hasselhoff has pitched the idea of passing the torch on to a younger driver for KITT.

If they are going to do a completely new origin story, then it probably doens't make sense to include the Hoff. But let's not dismiss him simply because he's aged 25 years.

wazh
Volunteer

Post by wazh » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:17 pm

I think the idea of passing the torch would be good. I dont know how you can rework it but perhaps Hasselhoff playing Wilton Knight or whatever in the benefactor status?

LuvKITT
FLAG Recruit

Post by LuvKITT » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:14 pm

The passing of the torch has been talked about quite a bit. Who knows if that article is even real. Like I said before I'm not going to fall for anything anyone says about the movie until the actual trailer comes out for it.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:39 pm

I'm not going there; you folks already did. :? :twisted: :roll:
I'm not interested in the "Knight Rider" movie if they have to leave DH out of it.

JLC31383
Volunteer

Post by JLC31383 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:19 pm

I hate to say this, but I would rather the movie be a new origin story without the Hoff than a sequel to the series continuing on with him as the new head of the Foundation. It has been 20 years since the show was canceled which makes it much too long for there to be a movie as a follow-up. Anyone not recently a fan would not understand the elements of the story if it was a continuation of the original series. So it needs to be a remake to fit the story in with the modern generations. I never did think David looked twenty years older than he is (cause he does not have gray hair or terrible wrinkles on his face). I just believe he could not reprise his role with it being two decades since he originally had it. All I care is that this movie is not total crap as some people act like "Starsky & Hutch" and "Dukes of Hazzard" were.

rulloa81
Operative

Post by rulloa81 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:27 am

If they did the movie with a "new" guy playing Michael Knight I would probably hate it. Think about how hard it would be to find some actor to play Michael Knight. You cannot beat the Hoff!! this is my opinion. Actually I have two.

1. Have the Hoff play as Michael Knight and pass the torch on to his son so that his son can drive KITT and fight the criminals while the Hoff as Michael Knight leads the FLAG and does some occasional crime fighting.

2. Have the Hoff come back as Michael Knight and reguardless of his age have him be the main character just like he was in the original Knight Rider. I know that alot of you might not agree with me on this one but I look at Harrison Ford, who is about to film another Indiana Jones, and I say to myself why can't the Hoff reprize his roll as Michael Knight.

All I have to say is that I think that the Hoff can still go out there and kick some butt no matter what the people say.

JLC31383
Volunteer

Post by JLC31383 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:34 am

Well, there is a bit of a difference between Harrison Ford coming back as Indiana Jones and David Hasselhoff coming back as Michael Knight. "Indiana Jones 4" is a sequel to a trilogy made almost two decades ago whereas "Knight Rider: The Movie" is a story based off of a TV show canceled 20 years ago. People can watch the original IJ trilogy in time before the new movie comes out if they are not familiar with it. But they would have to spend quite a bit of time watching all 4 seasons of all 84 episodes of KR if they were to see a movie continuing from the show two decades later. So it would make more sense just to do a film remaking the whole thing. Times have changed and new generations are around who possibly have not yet picked up on the franchise. I say that if it has been more than 5 years since a show was canceled- no use having a movie continue on right from the series.

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:13 pm

I think we must see David in a Short Guestrol as Michael Knight in the End of the Movie or he must play the part of Devon Miles as leader of the Knight Foundation but as Michael Knight then it is perfekt. But not as Michael Knight, oh my goodness :roll: He looks god okay but please make some new. When the last Movie goes on with Him and you see whats going on in Knight Rider 2000. David as Gues Star or in the new Foundation Leader Rol but not as Michael Knight.

ilana
Rookie

Post by ilana » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:46 pm

I'd like to see the movie with starring David as Michael Knight.

First, I think it would be very hard to find another actor to replace David. I have no idea who can it be. It will be anther story with other actor.

Then, I like how he is looking now. :lol:

I'm not interested in the new "Knight of the Phinix". But I think it would be interesting if in the movie Michael has a younger partner, a son.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:47 pm

I think the character named Michael Knight MUST be played by David Hasselhoff. If some "Chuck Wallyburton" tries to replace Michael Knight, I'm not going to like it.
I don't like the new Miami Vice movie either because they've replaced the familiar characters with new actors. Sonny Crockett & Ricardo Tubbs just aren't the same without Don Johnson & Philip Michael Thomas and I think the same applies for Knight Rider.

I hope David Hasselhoff plays Michael Knight in the movie but Michael Knight could be the leader of the FLAG and some new young guy, maybe even Michael Knight's son, battle against the bad guys in the field.

-KITTfan-

JLC31383
Volunteer

Post by JLC31383 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:48 pm

Neither Tom Wopat nor John Snyder were in last year's "Dukes of Hazzard" movie. And I liked it just fine. Even if it was silly and stupid compared to the classic TV show. So I think a Knight Rider movie made this decade could work without the Hoff. If he even does need to appear in it, it can be as a cameo just for fans of the original series. But there needs to be no connection to Knight Rider 2000.

nice plate
Recruit

hoff

Post by nice plate » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:12 pm

To be honest, I don't really like Hoff that much, I like him in KR but I think he has got a bit full of himself. On the Sharon Osborne show he just sounded a bit 'too famous for his own good' but still the 'Jump In My Car' clips were quite hilarious

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:18 pm

Not including David Hasselhoff in this movie would be a profound mistake. That has already been tried with Team Knight Rider and look how that turned out. On the flip side, not including Glen Larson in Knight Rider 2000 also hurt the franchise a bit for missing the point. Even still, I think Hasselhoff is more important to the project than Larson is.

Yes, most of us did not like KR2K, but you can always go out and find any action director or producer. When you go replacing the central characters in a franchise, somehow the entire essence of what the show was misses the point just as KR2K did. It seems likely that there will be no RC3, Bonnie, April, and no Devon as well (unless some archival footage is included), but even without all of them the heart of the franchise is still there as long as there's Michael and K.I.T.T. If any of these leaked rumors have any truth to them, I can't believe how bad these people can seem to screw up what should be such a simple idea.

First, the studios did not want the car to talk. Next, Devon was going to become a hologram. Then there was ideas of recreating "Knight Of the Phoenix." Now, the latest rumors suggest that Michael Knight won't even be in it. After reading all of this I'm actually becoming more and more against ANY movie being made at all. Just leave our beloved show alone instead of trying to make a quick buck.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

JLC31383
Volunteer

Post by JLC31383 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:15 pm

I don't understand why there is all this hesitation to make a KR movie when stuff like "Dukes of Hazzard" and "Starsky & Hutch" came out right away. I know they were crap compared to the original shows. But I think it probably would be a better idea not to make a movie about "Knight Rider" at all as said if they can not get their facts straight. I still think it would be silly to have a story continuing on from the series when it has been canceled for 20 years. So they should just do a remake with a story that can fit the modern world. Like I said- times have changed and new generations are around. Actors do get older and are not the same people two decades later.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:06 pm

I agree with what Michael Pajaro said, for I would love for DH to have more than one career in U.S. showbiz and in more than one genre, too.
Perhaps the single "Jump in My Car" may be the long-awaited beginning of his singing career here in the U.S., and even if he really doesn't get to star in the "Knight Rider" movie at all, he's got plenty for us U.S. fans and the rest of his fans around the world.

Daemonicus666
Operative

Post by Daemonicus666 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:39 am

I still prefer a new show of KR then a feature length film. Or if the movie goes ahead I hope it paves way for a new show. Regardless, I want DH back in there somehow.
"I have special effects of my own. Im going to make you disappear for 20 years man..." - Michael Knight (Halloween Knight)

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:57 am

@Daemonicus666

You got it Pal :wink:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:34 am

To get a half arsed idea of what a kr movie is like without the hoff, check out KR2010.

Sure, the setting and atmosphere is different but the car did have a personality of it's own and tried to set up a brand new story for the franchise.

And it never worked.

Hardcore fans of the old show can't really accept any major changes like this.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:25 am

Have to wait and see on this one. Transformers fans are going through a similar experience with the new Micheal Bay film currently in production. Megatron looks weird, Optimus Prime is not a flatbed truck, Bumblebee is a Camero and they all don't look like Transformers :lol: I suspect that wont matter a great deal to the general public. Similarly with Knight Rider. I'm one of the few who wouldn't mind some kind of reboot of the franchise. I'd have Hoff purely in a cameo role maybe have the new Knight Rider seek the retired Michaels help/advise??? Thus you still maintain some contiunity with the old yet not needing too much background and still maintain a reboot....ala a better version of KR2000??????

KR2010 was just rubbish. Not because Hoff wasn't in it. If you had Hoff play the lead role in 2010 it would still have been rubbish. Poor script, action, directing.......and whatever else made that film bad.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"