KITT's Steering "Wheel"

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Industries 3000
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KITT's Steering "Wheel"

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:16 pm

KITT's steering "wheel" looks cool, but in the real world, would such a design have any practical advantages over a traditional steering wheel? In my opinion its only advantage is its heightened "cool factor." :lol:

Thoughts?

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:18 pm

I like the design the only problem may be turning it there is only two places to hold it whereas normal steering wheels are unlimited. They also could be hard to turn when they are pointed vertically depending on how high or low it is placed.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

Akaihiryuu
Operative

Post by Akaihiryuu » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:45 pm

I haven't driven one myself, but here's what I've heard: The gull wing steering wheel is actually quite nice, but it takes some time to get used to before you can drive it effectively. Once you do though, it's actually better than a normal steering wheel.

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:19 am

Akaihiryuu wrote:I haven't driven one myself, but here's what I've heard: The gull wing steering wheel is actually quite nice, but it takes some time to get used to before you can drive it effectively. Once you do though, it's actually better than a normal steering wheel.
How is it better? Just curious. If it were much better, then I would think that nearly 25 years after the show premiered, we'd see more KITT-like "wheels" on production cars.

I think KITT's interior looks cool -- including the wheel -- but I have a tough time believing that the wheel's design is practical for maneuvering -- especially when Michael zips around town at 300 MPH in super pursuit mode!

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:31 am

The gull-wing wheel was nice but it didn't provide sufficient control. All the stunt cars had proper round wheels, as the drivers needed better control of the car.

A gull-wing's nice but if you can't control a car at high-speed/doing stunts, it's useless.

Akaihiryuu
Operative

Post by Akaihiryuu » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:02 pm

It gives you much more precise control, plus it gives you a MUCH less restricted view of the dash. But like I said, it takes some getting used to before you could drive it effectively.

MIKEMAC
FLAG Recruit

Post by MIKEMAC » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:31 pm

I always hated when they would show Kitt in the distant or something and you could see a real sterring wheel(circle kind), that was always annoying!!!, it's like hello, fix that in the editing process, kitt does not have a circle sterring wheel, and remeber the second episode of the first season, "Deadly Manuvers", the one were they go to the milatary base and there shooting missles at kitt and michael, well michael's sterring wheel has handles on it, like an airplane sterring wheel, and not the regular kitt sterring wheel, that was also annoying!
**true happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth**
Please check out my Knight Rider site at
http://www.knightriderforever.tk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:45 pm

MIKEMAC wrote:Iwell michael's sterring wheel has handles on it, like an airplane sterring wheel, and not the regular kitt sterring wheel,
I've driven a Go Kart with a steering wheel like that. Wasnt too bad using it to steer. It was actually better than using a round wheel. Those wheels are better for sudden turns.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers