Knight Rider: Season 4 DVD

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MIKEMAC
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by MIKEMAC » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:45 pm

kittknight1979 wrote:Hey Scott,

I talked to a universal studios rep on tuesday, and he said that they are working on S3 replacement disks. TVShowsondvd.com has the number and email address for universal studios. You can email the rep and he will send you an email when the replacement disks will be ready to ship out.
do we have to pay for replacements? or do we just mail them the bad ones and they mail the correct ones to us?
**true happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth**
Please check out my Knight Rider site at
http://www.knightriderforever.tk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:33 pm

Good question. I haven't got an answer from Universal about that. All they said in the email they sent me awhile back was they'd send me "return instructions".

Lauzzy81
Recruit

Post by Lauzzy81 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:10 am

I actually don't mind that some of the teasers are missing, because when Knight Rider was aired back in 1997/98 on Danish television, they didn't show the teasers, they just started the episodes with the opening credits! But that soundeffects sre missing is lame!

G.O.L.I.A.T.H
Volunteer

Post by G.O.L.I.A.T.H » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:38 am

FuzzieDice wrote:Good question. I haven't got an answer from Universal about that. All they said in the email they sent me awhile back was they'd send me "return instructions".
what about people who live in the UK and bought the region 1 season 3?
would they have to send it back to USA or send it to universal in the UK?

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:22 pm

I think you'd have to ask Universal UK about international distributions.

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:59 pm

spyhunter wrote:
Scott Kirkessner wrote:Could it possibly be that NBC transmitted the show in stereo in 1985/1986 and Universal really didn't downmix?

-Scott

In order to be in Stereo, it has to have 2 distinct channels of audio. The source has to be that way in order for the network to have been able to transmit it that way, and so Universal must have took those 2 tracks and merged them together to make it a 1 channel Monaural soundtrack, and that single channel of audio is coming through both channels of DD2.0...

You can really tell when watching Season 4 before, the sound is spread out and more spatial then the other Seasons, and even the Treble and Bass seem more defined...

Just because the technology supports 2 channels of audio or you have 2 speakers doesn't make it Stereo, just the same way as having a 5.1 Surround Setup doesn't mean you are always hearing true 5.1 sound, every channel has to be distinct for this to happen...

SH
you do know they can take mono soundtracks and make them sterio though right? the first Terminator movie was done in mono because it was pretty low budget, but i just bought a "remastered in 5.1 surround" copy and it sounds amazing. cars zooming from front to back and bullets wizzing from left to right. it is possible. would have been sweet if they had taken the time with knight rider to do that for seasons 1-3 instead of taking the lame road and just making s4 mono.

i've had trouble with the double sided dics as well. whoever said they mixed and matched is a genious! ha! sweet

LuvKITT
FLAG Recruit

Post by LuvKITT » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:40 pm

I emailed Universal and haven't heard anything yet.

KivaWolf
Volunteer

Ditto...

Post by KivaWolf » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:16 am

Well for now I have not noticed anything missing.. but mostly this is due because I am not listening carefully. I still have that other E-Mail as well from Universal saying that they would E-Mail with the details in how to send the DVDs of S3 back. I will be doing the same if I do detect anything and E-Mail them. It is a shame that Universal is not taking this seriously. A major disappointment on their part. I bet those other DVDs like the A-Team, PI Magnum, etc. that is made by them are having the same problem.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and stupidity. I am not so sure about the former... -Albert Einstein

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:46 am

themarvelous3 wrote:
you do know they can take mono soundtracks and make them sterio though right? the first Terminator movie was done in mono because it was pretty low budget, but i just bought a "remastered in 5.1 surround" copy and it sounds amazing. cars zooming from front to back and bullets wizzing from left to right. it is possible. would have been sweet if they had taken the time with knight rider to do that for seasons 1-3 instead of taking the lame road and just making s4 mono.

i've had trouble with the double sided dics as well. whoever said they mixed and matched is a genious! ha! sweet

Probably the same way they make Stereo movies into 5.1 sound, and I'm not sure what they did with Knight Rider's 5.1 sound on the Universal HD Channel, but it does seem to be enhanced just a bit, because it is kind of expanded sounding...

SH

KivaWolf
Volunteer

Missing SFX

Post by KivaWolf » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:50 pm

Well it is confirmed that some sounds are missing. Not as heavily like S3 but for me I noticed the missing sounds during the scene in which KITT was using the SPM Mode for the first time. The gunshot that we all hear doesn't seem to be there at first. Although the sonic boom you hear after is there. Also when you see KITT's scanner in the shot there is barely any sound. Yes there is sound but just enough. It happens again later when they use it for the second time even though this time you do hear the gunshot sound. Though when he applies the EBS there is no sound. There is supposed to be a "Shoosh" sound but all you hear is like some kind of knock. When Michael presses the SPM to turn it off there is no "BEEP" sound. Here goes another E-Mail to them.

Kiva Wolf
Only two things are infinite, the universe and stupidity. I am not so sure about the former... -Albert Einstein

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:23 pm

I noticed 4 instances of missing sound FX during Juggernaut but the first sonic BOOM when kitt goes into SPM for the first time is another so I make that 5.

Really, I'm not personally fussed, they are not as distracting as season 3's set, which was quite a mess all round.

I'm up to 'Burial Ground' and there has been no problems thus far.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:16 pm

Does the EBS have sound effects each and every time it's ever used during the fourth season? If so, then I noticed there are no sound effects for it when it's used in "Kittnap."
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

knightridergundam
Operative

Post by knightridergundam » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:23 pm

spyhunter wrote:THIS IS BS! The sound mixer must have been totally RETARDED!

I just let Universal have a piece of my MIND! They can't do this to us...

SH
Yes, knowing that Universial just screwed us again....

I think that Spyhunter needs a good hug...... Or the sound mixer should be shot...... *loads P90*
I'm a Geek Squad Agent
Linkin Park fan
AMD Phenom Black-Edition Quad-Code user
and I watch Knight Rider.

KivaWolf
Volunteer

Post by KivaWolf » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:07 am

Lost Knight wrote:Does the EBS have sound effects each and every time it's ever used during the fourth season? If so, then I noticed there are no sound effects for it when it's used in "Kittnap."

Actually there is sound but during the first few episodes they sounds like ssshpoosh sound. Though I noticed it missing the second time it was used. In the later episodes it should sound more electronic... Kinda hard to describe a sound... :?

Kiva Wolf

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:14 am

I'm about to watch Scent of Roses and I have to dock 2 points off this set for the missing teasers off Knight Song and said episode.

It doesn't feel complete without them, in fact quite amateurish to do such an emission, especially since they are in the tv versions.

LuvKITT
FLAG Recruit

Post by LuvKITT » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:15 pm

I did make it to wal-mart today and they actually had season 4. I just happened to have my coupon with me so I got the $5 off. Isn't that crazy? They had season 1, 2 and 4 but not 3? I don't get it. It wasn't too much of a bother to order it but still kinda crazy. Oh well at least I got season 4 today and I can start watching them now.

Julius May
Volunteer

Post by Julius May » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:31 pm

I think after reading these messages I must pass buying KL on DVDfor now because of the audio issues. It really hurts me to say this becuase I'm a huge fan of this show and one of the favorite shows I must have on DVD.
Julius May

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:52 pm

If we're lucky, they will finish converting all seasons on Universal HD and then quickly port them to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray!

SH

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:17 pm

If that format takes off. To be honest, I can't see people rushing out to buy a whole new kind of dvd player to get set to buy yet another format of video.

DVD has been around for quite a long time now but not every single 'wanted' film by the public has even been released on dvd yet and the onset of a new format could not have come at a more frustrating time.

I'm passing on the format until I'm practically forced to have it.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:25 pm

Skav wrote:If that format takes off. To be honest, I can't see people rushing out to buy a whole new kind of dvd player to get set to buy yet another format of video.

DVD has been around for quite a long time now but not every single 'wanted' film by the public has even been released on dvd yet and the onset of a new format could not have come at a more frustrating time.

I'm passing on the format until I'm practically forced to have it.
Me too. I'm slowly building my DVD collection (and I'm glad I never started a movie collection with VHS tapes to replace), and there's no way I'm going to go replacing them for newer technology. It's frustrating enough buying a DVD only to have a new "Special Edition," "Anniversary Edition," "2-Disc Director's Cut," etc. come out a few months later. I HATE that!
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:27 pm

I just bought King Kong and there are heavy rumours of a 4/8 disc edition out as early as June.

I definetely agree with you.

But relating to KR, I am actually optimistic that all these sound problems and missing teasers and songs are a build up of perhaps a special limited edition set with everything intact?

That's usually the way studios play with these things to the public.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:19 pm

LuvKITT - There are a couple reasons why you didn't see Season 3. One is because it's been recalled due to missing sound effects, etc. And the second is that when Season 3 came out, not many stores carried it for some reason to begin with.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:40 pm

I agree that it's frustrating, but now that I have an HDTV, I'm looking forward to the new technology that it supports, and as you said, the stupid companies are constantly releasing special editions, so think of it as just that, a special ENHANCED edition, and just sell your old copies on Amazon.com or somewhere else...

When PS3 comes out, you are basically getting a Blu-Ray player included for free, Microsoft will probably offer an HD-DVD enabled XBOX 360, and computers are going to be heavily supporting these formats soon, such as the new VAIO desktop coming out soon, also with Blu-Ray, so it is a very exciting time for technology!

As for KR, I can't imagine them releasing them anytime soon as a special edition and screwing everybody that bought the current set out of sound effects that they paid for...

I've seen stores that have every television set except Knight Rider, it's kind of odd, but I hope they really are recalling Season 3...

SH

LuvKITT
FLAG Recruit

Post by LuvKITT » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:25 pm

Yeah I knew they had sound problems and later recalled them. I went to the store on the day they were supposed to be out and they didn't get them in. I called 2 other stores in the area and they didn't have them either. I didn't call best buy though, I guess they might have had it. I don't mind, having my favorite show on DVD is a treat for me.

I have almost got all my movies on DVD now replacing my VHS. DVD is just so much clearer than VHS. I love them. :)

Akaihiryuu
Operative

Post by Akaihiryuu » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:17 pm

I didn't notice any sound effects missing from KoTJ...but I guess I wouldn't miss a missing "sonic boom" from KITT in SPM though. Even in SPM, KITT wasn't going nearly fast enough to produce a sonic boom. He would've had to have exceeded Mach 1 (~750mph at sea level) to produce a sonic boom. I always assumed that sound just came from KITT's engine.