Why I think KITT should be put in a new car

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

CB2001
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Why I think KITT should be put in a new car

Post by CB2001 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:27 pm

I know people have their own opinions as to KITT for the KR movie. Most have their opinions about what type of car that KITT should be put in, and many see KITT in many of vehicles. As you guys know, I wouldn't mind seeing KITT in a 2002 Pontiac Trans-Am or a 2005 Ford Mustang. And I know a lot prefer that KITT remain in a 1982 Trans-Am. However, not many people explain why they think that KITT should be put into a new car or why he should remain in the Trans-Am body.

I understand why many would prefer KITT to come back in the 1982 Trans-Am body. It's the same reason why the General Lee remained an orange 1969 Dodge Charger, even down to the rebel flag. For the Dukes, the General Lee had to be a '69 Charger. If it had been a newer car or a different year model, it wouldn't have been the General Lee. It's nostalgia. We see a certain car, we expect the car to represent what it means. When a car is a star, people expect the car to remain the same. It is, therefore, an icon. And in my opinion, that's okay.

Now, here comes the part that many of you may hate. The reason why I think KITT should be put into a new car is the fact that KITT has an ability that no other star car can: to evolve. And KITT did. He was "as human" as the human counterparts. So, why not have him change like the human counterparts (namely Michael) have?

One thing to keep in mind is that KITT wasn't ALWAYS a 1982 Trans-Am. As we all know, KITT was performed by many 1982-1985 Pontiac Trans-Ams, much like the General in the original Dukes. So, that would mean that KITT was, in fact, a 1985 Trans-Am when the show ended (though it may have been a similar body style, it was still a newer model). But I think by putting KITT into a new car would stick true to KITTs evolution. And I know you're thinking, "But KITT was put into two other cars and they sucked!" It's understandable. But you have to take into account that KITT being put into the '57 Chevy was probably meant to be part of the joke about how out-of-date KITT was suppose to be in KR2000. And KIFT, though meant to be a major improvement over KITT's technology, was ridiculous for the fact that the car was ugly and unbelieveable in design.

In that thought, I came to realize why KIFT's body failed to attract most fans: The fact it was too far out. One of the advantages that KITT had back in the original show was the fact that he was not only a "one of a kind car", but the fact that he was also a common car. "What do you mean 'common'?" The fact that he was referred to as a Trans-Am during the first series, which meant that there were probably LOTS of them running around in the KR universe (Heck, we know that Michael owned and drove one in the pilot epiosde before KITT came into existence). The advantage of there being a lot of Trans-Ams of the same make and model made him blend easier into his surrounding cars, which means the odds of him being noticed were slimmer. Let's compare that situation to now: How many 1982 Trans-Am-1992 Pontiac Formulas are out on the road today? Not a whole lot. That means that if KITT was a 1982 Trans-Am, then people would notice him if he were to trail a suspect vehicle or park across the street from the bad guys hideout. In other words, he'd stick out like a sore thumb. By placing him into a new or recent car, he would be able to still have that ability to blend into traffic should he need to follow a suspect.

"But the Team Knight Rider vehicles were common cars and motorcycles. And some fans disliked them!" Maybe many fans dislike the cars because none of them were KITT. They were all different personalities, but none of them were KITT. I bet that if KITT had been installed in one of the vehicles as the "leader" car, the show would have been more enjoyable and probably would have lasted more than one season. Not only that, those same fans were expecting the familiar '82 Trans-Am. But not many realize that the reason why the '82 Trans-Am didn't come up in the show as the leader vehicle was the fact that a series has a set amount of money for the budget. Not only that, do we want to put the Trans-Am on the short numbers list like how the '69 Dodge Charger was put on the short numbers list due to "The Dukes of Hazzard"? The original KR show had the advantage of the Trans-Am line still being in production, much like how "Team Knight Rider" did with those particular Ford models. So, by using '82 Trans-Ams-1992 Formulas would further lower their numbers.

"But what about '2 Fast 2 Furious'? They feature two muscle cars and they had many of them!" For those who are unaware, that rebuild cars from the frames up. "Year One", as seen on the Camero's license tag on the front of the car, is a restoration and performance company. Besides, due to the limited scenes that the cars are feature, three of both the muscle cars in the film were probably needed (including one that was a shell the could be launched for the big jump at the end). But seeing that a KR movie would require a lot of stunt driving that would probably be even more extreme than seen in any of the "Fast and the Furious" films. Even the General Lee for the Dukes movie, 26 Chargers were purchased. Who knows how many of them were destroyed for the making of that movie (look at the ending credits and look at the "How to Launch a Muscle Car 125 Feet in 4 Seconds" feature on the DVD if you need a clue about what kind of damage the cars took). With this in mind, it would be easier and a lot less painstaking to just use newer cars.

Of course, this is just my opinion and interpretation of what I know. You guys can disagree if you like, but these details are why I think KITT should be put into a new car. The Admins are welcome to delete this post, should it be offending to anyone.

89 formula
Recruit

Post by 89 formula » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:56 am

Well written, I agree.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:10 am

Thank you. :D

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:41 pm

Yes I agree, it was very well written and you have some great points.

One of the reasons that I believe KITT should be a newer car would go along with your "evolution" statement. Since KITT is a futuristic computer, who’s technology still doesn't exist today, why keep him in a body that's over 20 years old? Don't get me wrong, at the time the 3rd Gen Trans Am was one of the most stylish and modern cars around, but it just doesn't fit with idea of “futuristic vehicle” anymore since the design is outdated.

You have to also look at appealing to all kinds people to make a film successful. Younger people who may have never seen the original series might not be attracted to the original KITT the same way we are. They may think "OK this car is supposed to be all futuristic, so why is it so old looking?" Futuristic stuff appeals and ultimately sells.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with my ideas as well, but I'm just trying to take a logical perspective on things. The only way you could try to please everyone is to have the old KITT and a new KITT. Perhaps start the movie out with him in his old body and update him into a newer one, but that idea is way to reminiscent of KR2000. I think the only real thing we can do is just sit back wait to see what happens.
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

ReddawgKnight
FLAG Assistant

Post by ReddawgKnight » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:49 pm

yes well if kitt does get installed into a new car it should be in the new Chevy Camaro Concept Car...theres an opening on the hood that would be a perfect place for the scanner :)

ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by ReddawgKnight on Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MIKEMAC
FLAG Recruit

Post by MIKEMAC » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:01 pm

LadyV2000 wrote:Yes I agree, it was very well written and you have some great points.

One of the reasons that I believe KITT should be a newer car would go along with your "evolution" statement. Since KITT is a futuristic computer, who’s technology still doesn't exist today, why keep him in a body that's over 20 years old? Don't get me wrong, at the time the 3rd Gen Trans Am was one of the most stylish and modern cars around, but it just doesn't fit with idea of “futuristic vehicle” anymore since the design is outdated.

You have to also look at appealing to all kinds people to make a film successful. Younger people who may have never seen the original series might not be attracted to the original KITT the same way we are. They may think "OK this car is supposed to be all futuristic, so why is it so old looking?" Futuristic stuff appeals and ultimately sells.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with my ideas as well, but I'm just trying to take a logical perspective on things. The only way you could try to please everyone is to have the old KITT and a new KITT. Perhaps start the movie out with him in his old body and update him into a newer one, but that idea is way to reminiscent of KR2000. I think the only real thing we can do is just sit back wait to see what happens.
that is the plan according to david, is to have the new kitt and at the end pull out the old kitt(or vise versa) so it pleases everyone.
**true happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth**
Please check out my Knight Rider site at
http://www.knightriderforever.tk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightridergundam
Operative

Post by knightridergundam » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:41 pm

I agree with you. Kitt was (and to some of us still is) the car of the future. And the point that I must agree with you is that Kitt had the ability to evolve. And he did, we have seen it through out the show many times. But that of opinion of mine is, I still think that Kitt should go to a newer body of the Trans Am, or change the body type all together. And the producers might do that to bring in a more younger fan base. I don't know about you, but that is just me........
I'm a Geek Squad Agent
Linkin Park fan
AMD Phenom Black-Edition Quad-Code user
and I watch Knight Rider.

trooper TK-WHA??
Rookie

Post by trooper TK-WHA?? » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:53 pm

I would'nt mind seeing a body change in the movie,just as long as I'd get to see KITT's old tricks with modern special effects.Just imagine with CGI,stunt driving, and modern FX,you could see KITT do things we would've loved to have seen during the series' run.Within reason,of course.Imagine a Turbo Boost done with today's techniques.Duuuuuude!
If only I had a nickel for every time someone cut me off on the parkway and wished for a Turbo-Boost or Micro-jammer...

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:04 pm

With today's powerful visuals, I'm sure a well written script could have the new and improved KITT leaping over the Golden Gate's 'spance. But, I have to agree with the way they handled the special effects with the latest Batman movie. Do as much realism as possible and use the CGI for the rest. Computer graphics are a wonderful tool when it isn't trying to totally steal the scene. A few years down the road and some improved technology...actors may become an old school notion. But, for now...spare the CGI to what it must do.

As for the idea of giving KITT a modern look...I'd consider a blending. We should see some of the '82 model in there...as though KITT kept getting altered over the years. It would be quite interesting to get a bunch of automobile designers together and see how they could modernize the classic Trans-Am look.

PHEONIX_WS6
Recruit

Post by PHEONIX_WS6 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:52 pm

they should use a 3rd gen car for the KR movie and at the end pull out a 4th gen. you can buy a 3rd gen firebird for as cheap as $500 these days. They could go on ebay right noy and buy all the cars they need for less than $10k. the actual model they use for stunts or whatever doesn't HAVE to be a '82 T/A. they could use V6's too and just make them KITT replicas. there's still an overabundance out there of 3rd gen 'birds out there and they don't have to be a mint condition examples to start with. Thats what they did for 2f2f. Those weren't real hemi challengers and yenko camaros they used. they were the cheap base models made to look like the real deal. a '69 yenko camaro and '70 hemi challenger r/t tend to go for well over $100k a piece these days in the condition the cars were in 2f2f. the movie studio wouldn't pay that kind of money for cars they're just going to destroy. it's not budget effective. KR won't get the budget 2f2f did. As a matter of fact, if they make the movie appeal to just the diehards, like most of you want, it will probably be just a stright to video release.
#*CK YOU KITT!!!

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:36 pm

A very well thought out post. I agree.

We definetely need to see a new car in the film, perhaps have the old kitt in it for the first half of the film and then the old kitt gets severely damaged that he cannot be repaired due to time reasons(82/85 TA body no longer in production) therefore, the new kitt comes in.

It would please both people, so long as there is no sequel to it because I believe it will still take time for people to adjust to the new body...especially the old fans.

knightridergundam
Operative

Post by knightridergundam » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:42 pm

Or they could have Kitt in the start of the movie be in the '82 Trans Am and bitch that he needs a newer look and have him move into a newer body......
I'm a Geek Squad Agent
Linkin Park fan
AMD Phenom Black-Edition Quad-Code user
and I watch Knight Rider.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:35 pm

Only problem with that is that in the series, KITT took pride in looking the way he did, with the exception of the episode 'Knight of the Juggernaut' where he questions the "fashion" of himself.

I suppose they could ignore the other episodes where he did take pride in himself and base the change on his self consciousness in KOTJ but that would be a lame excuse to change KITT into a new body.

Something big needs to happen first, in my opinion. :wink:

lone crusader
Stranger

Post by lone crusader » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:18 am

I have always thought that KITT would be in a more modern, or at least futuristic by today's standards without looking ridiculous.

I am not worried too much about the car, as long as it is sporty and sleek, black, has the scanner, has the familiar voice modulator, and can Turbo Boost (with the same sound effect used on the show).

KARR 2000
Rookie

Post by KARR 2000 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:34 am

Perhaps it would be great to just hear kitt tell his story (how they upgraded him) and some shots of kitt in various bodies. He tells how was he put in a firebird body, and then into the next one, and next one, sort of like evolving.
So...... I have no idea what to write here.

knghtrdr
Recruit

Post by knghtrdr » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:59 am

O.k.,I'll probably get booed here,but when I went to see the new Dukes of Hazzard,I went in theatre with a semi open mind. The only real reason for going to the movie was because of the General Lee!

And even at that I was nit picking at the fact that the general had two mirrors instead of one!Also spit at the unshaved duke boys and the ridiculous skinny hog!

I bad mouth that movie feverishly,the only thing I enjoyed was seing the general lee on the big screen,was the first time I saw the General Lee ride at night and that was awsome!

Now mind you,if it woould have been any other movie under another name,then i would consider it a cool movie,it was funny and it was fun to watch.

But what got me,is a skinny hog,a too serious Rosco,swearing dukes,unshaven and a dope attic uncle jesse,that was just too much!

Now,as far as KITT is concerned or the new movie,everything is rumors at this stage,never the less,from what I read KITT ain't even gona existe in the new movie other then his chip in some womans brain!

What's the point,no KITT,no movie,period! I could see KITT in a black new camaro,or the 2002 trans am,but if KITT's personality isn't gona be part of this movie,then I will not go see it!

The spm was KITT's last update,I think,so why not keep it that way with added technology???? Never mind this conv. look,didn't like it much,defeated the purpose of shielding Micheal!

I'm not trying to pune anyones fantasy of a new KITT or staying set in my ways,but the new Knight Rider has to have something familiar,and without the original KITT,ain't no use of making this movie,I would have nothing to relate this movie to!

Dukes had the General Lee,starsky and Hutch had their torino,so let micheal have his beloved KITT!
Turbo boost KITT!!!One man can make a difference!!!

knghtrdr
Recruit

Post by knghtrdr » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:00 pm

Hope this works,trying to put a pic on! why can't pics be easier then this,i don't get how you do it???
[/img]

knghtrdr
Recruit

Post by knghtrdr » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:52 pm

O.k.,Even though I really would like the orinal KITT in an '82 trans am,I do however like this trans am,this would be cool in spm,and i would accept it as the new look for KITT!

[img][img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/ ... nsam02.jpg[/img][/img]

AtariKnight
Operative

Post by AtariKnight » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:22 am

Why bother with SPM?, That car would look great just as it is.

There's still the resemblance there, Put in a updated LCD (Rather than LED) version of the dash and you have a 00"s KITT.

OverLord
Volunteer

Post by OverLord » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:48 am

They forgive me, But I Live in Brazil and I do not say English, therefore I used the translator of the Google. The David never thought about making an livened up series of the KITT? it could attract new fans and launch new products and obtain money to produce the film of the Kitt.

knghtrdr
Recruit

Post by knghtrdr » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:26 pm

Sorry overlord,but KITT has to remain in a transam,either the original or something like the picture I posted here!

Some fans want a new KITT,some want an extreme KITT and some just want familiar KITT!

The 2002 version transam of KITT is a cool new version,and with extra new technologie,I'm sure KITT would appreciate his new look as the 2002 black trans am such as the pic above!

OverLord
Volunteer

Knight Rider - The Animated Series

Post by OverLord » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:55 am

Perhaps the Translator of the Google has not made the correct translation, But what I wanted to say, He is So that the David Hasselhoff creates a Series for TV: Knight Rider - The Animated Series. But It would have that to follow Classic elements of the series. By the way: As fan of KITT here in Brazil, I would like to only know for curiosity, how much that he approximately costs to make a KITT rejoinder, since the purchase of the car until the rank of all the details in the car. Debtor.

shinobi
Stranger

Post by shinobi » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:46 pm

I'm diggin' this kind of KITT! However I'm not diggin' the rear spoiler and the ride height.... In my opinion it should have a rear wing/spoiler that looks more like the Original KITT'sr (or something similar - like the one on a TRD Sport M), as well as a lower ride height (to make it look more sleek and fast)

For reference, Here's a TRD Sport M:

Side/Front view: