1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:05 pm

It's a very very good time to be a Knight Rider fan now. The 1:18 KITT and KARR has been released and everyone who has gotten their hands on it are very very pleased (including me).

For those of us who don't own yet the Kenner Talking KITT, here is your chance to bid on them in ebay in record low prices! I have ten auctions in my watchlist (I don't intend to buy, I already have my own, I'm just curious what their ending prices are) and some of them are even sealed in boxes, in never been played with condition! Apparently, some sellers think that with the presence of the new 1:18 KITT, their Kenner KITT will depreciate in value and are now putting their toys for sale.

I don't intend to sell my Kenner KITT, it looks fabulous sitting near my ERTL. I don't know what these owners/sellers are thinking, but if they sell their Kenner cheap, it will be for the advantage of the fans who don't have one yet. :D

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:07 pm

aznblitz wrote:Hey PBH

if you find anywhere locally that have these in stock please let me know as i am as excited as you are :D

thanks
I sure am!!! I'll let you know.
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

aznblitz
Volunteer

Post by aznblitz » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:16 pm

Hey

yeah the kenner kitt was good as well i have one myself and it was the next best thing i guess....but i dont think anything will rival the new diecast model in detail not even the kenner talking car one ....

HondaSiR wrote:It's a very very good time to be a Knight Rider fan now. The 1:18 KITT and KARR has been released and everyone who has gotten their hands on it are very very pleased (including me).

For those of us who don't own yet the Kenner Talking KITT, here is your chance to bid on them in ebay in record low prices! I have ten auctions in my watchlist (I don't intend to buy, I already have my own, I'm just curious what their ending prices are) and some of them are even sealed in boxes, in never been played with condition! Apparently, some sellers think that with the presence of the new 1:18 KITT, their Kenner KITT will depreciate in value and are now putting their toys for sale.

I don't intend to sell my Kenner KITT, it looks fabulous sitting near my ERTL. I don't know what these owners/sellers are thinking, but if they sell their Kenner cheap, it will be for the advantage of the fans who don't have one yet. :D

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:22 pm

aznblitz wrote:Hey

yeah the kenner kitt was good as well i have one myself and it was the next best thing i guess....but i dont think anything will rival the new diecast model in detail not even the kenner talking car one ....
You really can't compare them...each one has its own charm. The ERTL is diecast, and may be considered the best among them in terms of size and gimmick. The Kenner is plastic, but it does have a great size advantage and comes with its own Michael Knight doll. And it also talks...which the ERTL doesn't do. All in all, its definitely a great thing if we have them both in our collection.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:32 pm

We have been seeing so many pics of the ERTL model... What we lack are pics of the Aoshima KITT model... If i'm not mistaken, Aoshima's have the correct dark blue colour on the license plate and the correct font for the letter "I". The license plate for the ERTL KITT seems different when I compared it with my Aoshima KARR. KARR's seems darker and clearer... Those that already have the Aoshima KITT model, please post some pics... I need to know whether the plates are similar to the ERTL's..

This is how the plates shd be>>

This is how the plate on ERTL's is>>

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:25 am

I was thinking of ways I could paint the wheel well trim silver on the 1/18th model K.A.R.R. when I realized I had a silver paint pen. I decided to test out its effect on the 1/24th scale Corgi die-cast K.I.T.T. (since I never cared for it anyway and was given to me) and well now I have turned him into KARR. If anybody else has one of these, they work great on die-cast metal as I have just discovered. For a complete ameteur, I have to say the car came out pretty good..only possibly ever so slightly sloppy in certain parts not really noticable. While I was at it I used black permanent marker and colored some black "bowling ball" hub caps and blacked out the tail lights. One day I will place something yellow to accomodate the scanner space. The only thing that remains unchanged is the plate but its too small to correct so I'm not going to bother. While I was never crazy about the Corgi model, I like it a lot better now! Anyway that should hold me off until the 1/18th model arrives.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:39 am

mmkay then.. YAHOO Photo's has my collection..

I'll try getting a closer version of KITT's "Knight" plate and add in there..

<<Edit>> I've added the pic of his plate now..

AP

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:26 am

Well based on MrPayner's pics, the Aoshima KITT's license plate does seem to be superior than the ERTL's. The letter "i" is correctly written and the blue color is closer to the series.

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:59 am

Fog lights don't look upto much though.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:42 am

daniel,

i went to that site you recommended that have the die cast kitt's in stock...i'm still waiting for a password to register with and i applied for this yesterday....did you have this trouble?
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:42 am

comet-miniatures? Didn't use them - mine was purchased from ModelZone in Surrey.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:39 am

I just noticed something about the Aoshima boxes (from looking at an ebay auction). They don't appear to have the square hole where you can press a button to activate the scanner without taking the model out of the box. If this is so, does the Aoshima KITT and KARR have the temporary switch? Also, on my ERTL KITT, the trademark of ERTL is clearly stamped in white letterings under the car. In the Aoshima, what does it say? I'm just curious about the differences. Anybody with an Aoshima care to share some pics of the car's underside?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:03 pm

Those with the Aoshimas are better off in that case because it's more likely the battery will have more power because no one will have tested the scanner out and used up battery power.

Here's a sum up of all the nitpicks so far:

Ertl: (K.I.T.T.)
Pros:
1)Better quality detailed fog lights
2)Accurate tires
Cons:
1)Amber colored fog lights
2)Inaccurate color and font on licence plate sticker
3)Unpainted voice modulator (less detail)

Aoshima:
Pros: (K.I.T.T.)
1)Accurately colored fog lights
2)Solid red painted voice modulator (more detail)
3)More accurate color and font on licence plate sticker
Cons:
1)Inaccurate tires with white "Goodyear" lettering
2)Overall cheaper looking fog lights

Cons: (K.A.R.R.)
1)Amber colored scanner instead of yellow
2)Solid yellow painted voice modulator instead of "3 line" version
3)No silver trim painted over wheel wells
4)Inaccurate tires with white "Goodyear" lettering
5)Overall cheaper looking fog lights
6)6 fog lights instead of 4

Overall Flaws For Both Companies:
1)No turn signal blackout covers on nose
2)6 fog lights (no bumper grills, therefore inaccurate)
3)Fog lights have 6 individual spaces for each light instead of two large holes per side
4)Trunk window is tinted and has thick black "frame" around edges
5)Trunk is colored black
6)Tail light blackout is rounded off and "bubbly" instead of sharp and flat
7)Overall shape of model is slightly off (bottom of the nose is shorter than it should be)
8)Clutch pedal instead of automatic transmission brake pedal
9)Orange colored front reflectors instead of yellow
10)Scanner motion not quite the same as series
11)Inaccurate overhead console

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:16 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 20736&rd=1

FIRST auction for it on EBAY UK!

Would get this as I can't seem to get it yet, even if it means paying the above average extra.

Btw, you can add the look of the tv screens as a con to the above...the outer frames still don't look right. they should be BLACK instead of silver.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pewter 02ws6
Operative

Post by pewter 02ws6 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:42 pm

this online retailer now has them in stock
http://www.diecastmusclecars.com/

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:43 pm

Adding the underside of the Aoshima car [in this case the KARR model] to my gallery.. click link in sig line... the outcome is most interesting.

Regards
Adam

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:54 pm

Has anyone who owns one of the models tried to put in a figure to see if anything fits as a driver?or maybe tried to eject a passenger with the ejection seat?If so I would realy like to see some pics of something sitting in the driver side or eject a unwanted passenger.

rusti_knight
Operative

Post by rusti_knight » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:02 pm

I'll have you know I just spent $128 I didn't have for that KARR on ebay... *headdesk*

Would anyone like a print or a commission?

Mmph.
[Rus] What makes you think you've got what it takes to tame me anyway?
[Beast] ~sly naughty grin~ Experienced handling.

--From RP
DevArt: http://rusti-knight.deviantart.com

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:07 pm

Well don't worry, you're not alone, Rusti. :oops:

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:39 pm

HondaSiR wrote:I just noticed something about the Aoshima boxes (from looking at an ebay auction). They don't appear to have the square hole where you can press a button to activate the scanner without taking the model out of the box. If this is so, does the Aoshima KITT and KARR have the temporary switch? Also, on my ERTL KITT, the trademark of ERTL is clearly stamped in white letterings under the car. In the Aoshima, what does it say? I'm just curious about the differences. Anybody with an Aoshima care to share some pics of the car's underside?
Its the same.. The Aoshima KITT and KARR have the same switches as ERTL...

Great looking pics MrPayner!

I'm really not happy abt the license plates for KITT especially after finding out that Aoshima got theirs done correctly :cry: ... Damn.. And to think now that the sticker on mine is peeling off.... Better make that double sided tape handy then :wink:

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:46 pm

MrPayner: Thanks for the pic...it appears that Aoshima didn't even go to great lengths to stamp their logo anywhere on the model. It's exactly the same with the ERTL...even the blue serial number is identical!

Knight Racer: One thing's for sure, my Michael Knight doll from the Kenner KITT will definitely not fit...its too huge. And the proximity of the seat to the steering wheel in the ERTL/Aoshima only makes matters worse. :?

Imranbecks: So the Aoshima still has the test button? People who purchased Aoshimas without purchasing the ERTL will wonder what that button is for because the box lacks the square hole. :lol: Anyway thanks for the info. :D

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:54 pm

hmmm... Yeah!!!! That just goes to show clearly that it is the same model as ERTL's if not for the adjustments that Aoshiima did!!! It still has ERTL written below! I'm shocked... I was thinking that they wld find a way to erase that out and stamp the Aoshima logo...

But damn... those black dots in the center of the Aoshima models are really a turn off... ERTL's looks better. If only ERTL's had replaced the orange foglights and changed the license plate to follow the show, the ERTL model wld have been perfect!

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:14 pm

I have a question to those who already have this car regarding the scanner light. Where is the battery for it located, and if it dies out one day, can the owner actually change it? Also, is it a cell battery that it uses? Thanks for any one who answers.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:22 pm

Centaurus17 wrote:I have a question to those who already have this car regarding the scanner light. Where is the battery for it located, and if it dies out one day, can the owner actually change it? Also, is it a cell battery that it uses? Thanks for any one who answers.
It is located on the bottom of the car at the back inside the fuel tank. Of course the owner can change the batteries... And yes, the models use 4x LR44 sized batteries... Location circled in the pic below..

Not to worry too as instructions are given on the box itself on where the batteries are and how to replace them...

You planning on getting the model?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:36 pm

imranbecks wrote:I'm really not happy abt the license plates for KITT especially after finding out that Aoshima got theirs done correctly :cry: ... Damn.. And to think now that the sticker on mine is peeling off.... Better make that double sided tape handy then :wink:

Hmmm for those with the Ertl K.I.T.T. I wonder....would it be possible to save a picture of KITT's licence plate on the computer, shrink it down to the size of the model's sticker, then print it out in color? Then neatly cut it out and tape or glue it onto the current sticker for more accuracy?