KARR

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

TheKnightFox
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KARR

Post by TheKnightFox » Sun May 15, 2005 8:55 pm

well, since im somewhat a new fan to knight rider, all though i really liked the show when i was younger, ive forgotten a TON about it.

Im looking for sources that can provide a lot of information on KARR, if any of yall know any sites out there.

i have questions about KARR like:
-whos its driver?
-his AI 'personality?
-why he was created; who created him
-why is KARR KITTS enemy in the first place?

i'd really appreciate it if someone could refresh my memory, and if they have any good links to distribute, that would be appreciated too. im asking most of this because i need it for my fanfiction.
"when you're one of a kind, companionship does not compute." KITT
PROJECT RESTORATION. A fic for KITT and KARR: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2396303/1/

hot knight
Operative

Post by hot knight » Sun May 15, 2005 10:50 pm

KARR was created first but did not care for anything but himself. He was shut down because he didn't care about people, and did anything to keep himself out of danger instead of looking out for people. Some crooks stumbled upon him and accidently turned his power back on.

TheKnightFox
Operative

Post by TheKnightFox » Sun May 15, 2005 11:37 pm

KARR never had his own driver for that reason though, right?

anyways, thanks for the response! :D
PROJECT RESTORATION. A fic for KITT and KARR: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2396303/1/

hot knight
Operative

Post by hot knight » Mon May 16, 2005 8:40 am

No, he never had his own driver. I guess you could say he took care of himself.

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Mon May 16, 2005 9:18 am

K.A.R.R. was created by Wilton Knight, and was K.I.T.T.'s prototype. Once he was completed, Knight and Devon discovered they had made a mistake in not programming K.A.R.R. properly -- he was programmed on the basis of self-preservation, which sounds fine on the face of it, but means he would not protect his driver in a critical situation (as K.I.T.T. would).

So K.A.R.R. was deactivated, Knight Rider happened, and a little while later he was accidentally re-activated by two petty criminals named Tony and The Rev, who used him for a series of robberies. Michael and K.I.T.T. eventually trapped K.A.R.R. in a head-to-head confrontation, which led to K.A.R.R. crashing over a cliff and seemingly being destroyed (since in a head-to-head, K.A.R.R. would always chicken out).

Two years later K.A.R.R. was discovered buried on that beach by John Stanton, a young treasure hunter. K.A.R.R. used John to steal parts he needed to make himself fully operational (from the F.L.A.G. semi) and arranged a trap in which he hoped to kill Michael and K.I.T.T.

That's pretty much the whole story!

Links: Check out my site:
http://www.knightriderarchive.com

- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchive.com

pdennis93
FLAG Recruit

Post by pdennis93 » Sat May 21, 2005 11:12 pm

i always wondered why they didnt just take karr's cpu out and make a new cpu with karr's body and make kitt. but then again that would meant there would be no TDR or KVK which are 2 of the series' best episodes

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Sun May 22, 2005 5:50 am

My dear friend! As you said there are two episodes with Karr starring in it. The first one in which Michael discovers that there is another car, Karr is called: Trust Dosen't Rust (Episode 8). The second one is called: Kitt Vs Karr (Episode 47). And as I said before I do have almost all the episodes in my computer so if you guy's wish to see any movie stills or such I can post it to this forum (almost all the episodes are in DVD - Rip).
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

bddotnet
Recruit

KITT vs KARR

Post by bddotnet » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:55 pm

In the episode KITT vs KARR, there are several unexplained changes to KARR from Trust Doesn't Rust.

1 - Why was the voice of KARR changed?
2 - In TDR, his scanner was red. In KVK, it is orange. Why?
3 - Does the painting of the bottom 1/2 of KARR show up in KVK? My copy of the epsiode shows KARR crashing into the Foundation's truck, finding the laser...then the next frame shows him with the laser and gray paint. Why?
Bobby Duncan
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
http://www.bobbyduncan.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Pardon my expression, but he does have a few screws loose!"

Cougar
Rookie

Post by Cougar » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:48 pm

The voice of KARR changed because the guy who did the original voice did not come back so they had to use someone else. As for the scanner there is really no explination, some say that being in the salt water for two years changed the color from red to yellow. The deal with the two tone paint job is this. There is a scene in which KARR asks John to paint him a different color so that he won't look so much like his arch enemy, KITT. This scene is cut out due to syndication. That is why it is never seen on TV.

theevolved1
Operative

Re: KITT vs KARR

Post by theevolved1 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:52 pm

bddotnet wrote:In the episode KITT vs KARR, there are several unexplained changes to KARR from Trust Doesn't Rust.

1 - Why was the voice of KARR changed?
2 - In TDR, his scanner was red. In KVK, it is orange. Why?
3 - Does the painting of the bottom 1/2 of KARR show up in KVK? My copy of the epsiode shows KARR crashing into the Foundation's truck, finding the laser...then the next frame shows him with the laser and gray paint. Why?
I believe I can try to answer your questions... now wether they are the correct answers or not I am not sure...

1. Im not sure but either they wanted KARR to sound more evil or the original actor was unavailable.

2. I always liked to think the reason the scanner became orange was because he was on that beach for 2+years and the red just faded to orange.

3.Yes the painting shows up towards the end of the episode... Now the reason it shows him in the next scene with the laser and the bottom half painted is because there is a scene that for the most part is always cut out on TV where they discuss the paint job. I myself have never seen the scene but I have heard about it. Basically KARR talks about how he wants to change his appearence.
Funny TKR Quote

*bling*
"Maintanence Please Report to the Recreation Room.... The Jukebox is Jammed on Moonlight at the Oasis."

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:52 pm

The reason why KARR survives is if you watch Trust Doesn't Rust carefully, you see a old Mercedes drive off the edge of the cliff rather than a Firebird, LOL.

Yeh I agree, I prefer KITT & KARR from KITT & Goliath.

Tamersa
Stranger

Post by Tamersa » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:38 pm

about KARR I too have one question - why is he pontiac trans am? you see KITT is trans am because he is a remake of original car of Michael Long. So why KARR who was builded a half year earlier is also Trans Am? coincidence?;)

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:51 pm

good point, think it was coz it saved them producing a different car.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:57 pm

And too, KARR was supposed to be KITT's Evil Twin (since Michael had an evil twin, Garthe, I suppose).

It is rather odd because when KITT was built, supposedly in 1982, that was the ONLY and FIRST style of 3rd Gen Trans Am. So if KARR was built earlier than that, he couldn't be a 3rd Gen Trans Am just setting there in storage, technically speaking.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:36 am

You have a point there! However as you said, Karr was indeed built before Kitt. The reason why they built Kitt later on was that Karr's programming was, self-presevation (that means that he can do whatever he want's). And according to Devon, that was a huge mistake. So he attempted another try to build another car with the same proporties and abilities, only this time with a different programming, to serve Michael and protect human life.
When Karr get's out later on in Trust Dosen't Rust, both Michael and Kitt get's surprised, but not Devon. Back in the foundation Devon tell's Michael that the car had a different programming and bla, bla, bla...
Then he also tells him that he thought that Wilton had it dismantled before he died, but he was wrong.
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

theevolved1
Operative

Post by theevolved1 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:21 pm

My question is... If they programmed KARR Wrong... Why didnt they deactivate him and reprogram him instead of putting him in storage?
Funny TKR Quote

*bling*
"Maintanence Please Report to the Recreation Room.... The Jukebox is Jammed on Moonlight at the Oasis."

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:23 pm

I believe they did that because at the time they were running from Tonya Walker and her gang, and were looking for Michael. When they found him near dead, Devon decided to build KITT in two months (while Michael recovered) rather than try to reprogram KARR. Also because Devon honestly thought Wilton DISASSEMBLED KARR so Devon thought that there was no other car around to work with other than Michael's own Trans Am (or so it's believed as far as the story goes).

IOW, I don't think the writers really thought of all this when they wrote TDR. :)

Cougar
Rookie

Post by Cougar » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:56 pm

Whoah, back up, rewind, freeze. I thought the Foundation was building KITT at the same time they found Michael. Are you sure KITT is Michael Trans Am made over? I thought Michael having a TA was just a coincedence.

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:38 pm

Micheal does say "i'm not gonna hit my car" when Devon first demostrates KITTs MDS body by hitting it with a hammer.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:57 am

The reason why he says to Devon that he's not going to hit his car is because he think's that the car is his, but Devon tells him that it might look like your car (, but it's not your old one). So the car might not be Michael's car after all.

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:28 pm

oh, missed that bit LOL

Burns
Stranger

Post by Burns » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:44 pm

Speaking of Karr, I want a car that sort of looks like K.A.R.R., but in a different model.

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:21 pm

Devon says in the pilot episode that the resemblance between Michael's original Trans Am and the Knight 2000 are "...merely superficial." So my guess is that it was just a coincidence that the Knight 2000 just happened to be the same car Michael originally had. Maybe Michael Long drove the stock Trans Am as a bit of subtle hinting. What's odd though is that in the novel of the pilot, the Knight 2000 is actually Michael Long's Trans Am.
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

TheKnightFox
Operative

Post by TheKnightFox » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:06 pm

well, i havent been here in a while, so i missed all of this conversation becuase somehow i wasn't notified of the replies :?...oh well.

what bothers me is they should have continued the series, found a way to capture KARR, and rebuild his AI system (all though it would take a really long time if they actually wanted to bother with it).

in fact, im writing about that in my fanfic....

im learning more and more, and im gonna keep learning more, mainly becuase i can 1, get the scripts, and i recently ordered seasons 1 and 2 all on dvd. so...yay. keep chatting about KARR here if yall want. becuase after all, that is the subject.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:28 am

Here's a thought about why KARR's voice changed: first it must've been big impact when he falled down from the cliff even if he used some rockets to soften it. It was so big that the electric cable under the dash came loose, you see the first thing John does is to plug it together again when he opens KARR's door.
My idea is that among other damages, KARR's voice circuits may have been damaged/corroded a bit so the voice is different than in TDR. After all, he was leaking some turbine fluids and the scanner was faded from red to yellow/orange too so he wasn't excactly remained in tip top shape ;)

-KITTfan-