SPM KITT in new Adam Sandler movie and also up for auction

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

ocAdamR
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

SPM KITT in new Adam Sandler movie and also up for auction

Post by ocAdamR » Thu May 05, 2005 1:46 pm

I just came across this Bonhams auction where George Barris is selling his SPM K.I.T.T. (along with a bunch of his other TV/movie cars). Although the auction description has a ton of misinformation, it did, however, state that this K.I.T.T. is "currently on contract for use in the new Adam Sandler movie Benchwarmers."

Benchwarmers, starring Jon Heder, Craig Kilborn, Jon Lovitz, Tim Meadows, Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider and David Spade, is due in theaters spring 2006.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu May 05, 2005 5:49 pm

I always hated that spoiler on the front nose. It's one of the replica versions I really don't care for at all. I don't know if anyone will buy it for the asking price. Who knows. Whoever does buy it, I hope they'll take the SPM stuff off. ;)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu May 05, 2005 6:32 pm

I'll be pretty disappointed if that's the car they use in this movie. It's a black Trans Am with a different nose and scanner. What is so difficult about getting it accurate?!?!?!

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Thu May 05, 2005 11:45 pm

Guys, the SPM KITT was used for the 4th season, not the 3rd season! Please don't confuse people so much!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri May 06, 2005 12:08 am

Basically you bid some $60,000-$80,000 for it and if you win, you have to give it away for filming with no compensation. What a perfect time to auction it off!

theevolved1
Operative

Post by theevolved1 » Fri May 06, 2005 2:43 am

I wouldnt buy that ugly piece of *?$#... Its completly not even accurate and that spoiler on the front looks ridiculous. if i was to even bid on it I would bid mayb 500 at the most and the first thing I would do would be to strip it down and make it accurate. Another thing that makes it lame is the Dash... not only are the colors wrong but its a 1st/2nd season Dash on a supposive 4th season exterior. What I find sad is that he designed the car and hes trying to sell that piece of crap as being legit and accurate.
Funny TKR Quote

*bling*
"Maintanence Please Report to the Recreation Room.... The Jukebox is Jammed on Moonlight at the Oasis."

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Fri May 06, 2005 11:04 am

George Barris is really starting to piss me off. He's showing this ugly ass thing off every chance he gets and is trying to pawn it off as the real thing. That car is a joke and IMO it makes a mockery of KITT.
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

ad227529
Rookie

Post by ad227529 » Fri May 06, 2005 6:34 pm

LadyV2000 wrote:George Barris is really starting to piss me off. He's showing this ugly ass thing off every chance he gets and is trying to pawn it off as the real thing. That car is a joke and IMO it makes a mockery of KITT.
yeah, the fact they estimate it between $60,000 and $85,000 is a @&^# joke.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Sat May 07, 2005 1:37 am

This is a true insult to KITT, this Knick Rider version was acceptable for the variety show, since they didn't show much but the front and on the dark clip I saw the spoiler was almost unnoticeable. But on a feature film, it is going to look pretty terrible.

"Work is currently being performed on the car to bring it up to the desired spec for the film." >> Let's hope this means making it at least a little more accurate...

I think worse then the SPM stuff is the wrong wheels and JC-Whitney scanner, C'MON BARRIS!?! WTF??

Does he really not remember the time he spent making the original SPM KITT?

Someone that knows him really outta talk to him pronto!

SH

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat May 07, 2005 12:15 pm

Ok for the First time in a year I sat down and watched "Ride With Funk Master Flex" So, they had a segment on Barris. So Barris was giving a tour of his collection. At one point you see a glimpse of his Knight Rider toy collection. Looked pretty cool because everthing was MIB. If this guy built the Knick Rider car, he must of used reference from the toys. That car is freakin' horrible.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Sat May 07, 2005 4:28 pm

*speechless* How to begin to respond to an advertisement like that for a car that is so clearly NOT accurate in the least? LOL It blows me away that some POS like that can actually pass for being even close to the true SPM car. And that $65,000-$80,000 price tag?? ROTFLMAO It'd be lucky to fetch $15,000 at a public auction as it is in those pics. I just pray to god that they truly are reworking that car to "bring it up to specs" for the movie and that those specs are the original plans as it was seen in the series. And oh yeah, how did that car ever appear in the KR2000 movie? The only 2 times we see KITT in his black TA form in that was at the very beginning of the film and that tiny flashback of Devon's. I know the flashback was simply stock footage so I guess they are referring to the beginning of the film. However, if I remember correctly, that wasn't the car that's up for auction so I don't get what they are talking about.

Oh whatever. I'm so tired of seeing this car on TV that I wish they would either destroy it or revamp it into the SPM car it is supposed to be.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat May 07, 2005 10:45 pm

KFCreator wrote:And oh yeah, how did that car ever appear in the KR2000 movie? The only 2 times we see KITT in his black TA form in that was at the very beginning of the film and that tiny flashback of Devon's. I know the flashback was simply stock footage so I guess they are referring to the beginning of the film.
Well, two things: either they honestly got the series confused with the movie (Knight 2000 with Knight Rider 2000) or this is the car shown in the opening trailer with archival footage from 1985. (This was the original Season 4 promo not included on the Season 1 DVD version.) You see the Super Pursuit Mode K.I.T.T. briefly in silhouette. However, I don't think this car was built back then but more recently. So basically they're probably exaggerating its credentials.

KARR_Knight
Rookie

Post by KARR_Knight » Sat May 07, 2005 11:32 pm

I dont understand why they would do this, Barris has an original KITT ive seen it in his custom shop so i dont know why they would use this one unless it is the same car modified.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sun May 08, 2005 5:15 pm

Confused!!! The back doesn't look like the Super Pursuit Mode back, and the front Spoiler thingie isn't what happened in the show, it moved out and up, cananyone explain this.

And I agree, why can't a normal KITT be in the Adam Sandler movie? I don't mind Super Pursuit Mode, but that isn't even the right Super Pursuit Mode...
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun May 08, 2005 6:58 pm

I'd really like to know what ever happened to the original Super Pursuit Mode car. My guess is that it was dismantled or destroyed at some point. I can't imagine anyone having it and being able to keep it a secret.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun May 08, 2005 8:38 pm

:whistle: :shifty: :vamp:

:spm:

Just kidding. :) I heard a lot of the show cars were destroyed, one was left to rust out in Universal's back lot (sad sight - someone posted pics in one of the replica forums one time), of course we know that at least one was restored and sold on eBay.

IF this is one of the only SPM cars left, he must have redone it and made it look worse, in my opinion. What they mean by bringing it up to specs for the new show, I can only hope that they are going to make it actually accurate. And, the bidder would be getting the makeover for free I suppose? They are so vague on everything, it's not worth it to bid, I don't think. He should have waited until after the makeover and show and sold it advertising it as the car from that show, etc. I think he'd do better then. That is, if he's going to make it over to be authentically accurate.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun May 08, 2005 11:09 pm

FuzzieDice wrote::whistle: :shifty: :vamp:

:spm:

Just kidding. :)

Very funny. :lol:

FuzzieDice wrote:I heard a lot of the show cars were destroyed, one was left to rust out in Universal's back lot (sad sight - someone posted pics in one of the replica forums one time), of course we know that at least one was restored and sold on eBay.

IF this is one of the only SPM cars left, he must have redone it and made it look worse, in my opinion. What they mean by bringing it up to specs for the new show, I can only hope that they are going to make it actually accurate. And, the bidder would be getting the makeover for free I suppose? They are so vague on everything, it's not worth it to bid, I don't think. He should have waited until after the makeover and show and sold it advertising it as the car from that show, etc. I think he'd do better then. That is, if he's going to make it over to be authentically accurate.
Yes, I agree: This has to be the worst terms of an auction EVER! First of all an ABSURD reserve price (presumably because it comes from Barris himself), then, the winning bidder has to give it away for the filming of this movie (with NO compensation, I might add), then, it gets modified beyond their control.

Basically the winning bidder won't even end up with the same car they're bidding for! If they do some heavy-duty modifications to this thing and it ends up being completely different than what was originally sold, then I think that's really messed up. You've got to be a sucker to bid on this thing, big time. They must be really desperate to get rid of this thing because it makes absolutely no sense to auction it off now. Wait until the movie is over and it's modified and available, dumbass!

In regards to one of the original Knight Rider cars being left on the lot to rot, Universal has always been remarkably un-supportive of its shows. And that goes for while they were on the air and after they were canceled. One of the Back To the Future Part III DeLoreans share this same fate. Way to go, guys. Auction them off or something, geez. :roll:

marctronixx
Recruit

Post by marctronixx » Mon May 09, 2005 12:03 am

hey for all we know the modifications could be WORSE...

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon May 09, 2005 12:17 am

Lost Knight - Really, they could have made some big bucks auctioning off those cars. They wasted a lot like that. :?

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Mon May 09, 2005 10:57 am

All I can say is...AAAHHH!!!
This is not KITT in Super Pursuit Mode.
And the asking price for this piece of KITT wannabe?
I don't think so.

ad227529
Rookie

Post by ad227529 » Mon May 09, 2005 1:37 pm

marctronixx wrote:hey for all we know the modifications could be WORSE...
yes worse is when Adam Sandler gets his hands on it and wrecks it racing it around the set. then the buyer just out $60,000.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue May 10, 2005 2:13 am

Here's an article about Barris, his collection, and the upcoming auction:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/200 ... OE=LIFISVA
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue May 10, 2005 3:18 pm

Wow, that article is painful to read. It's one thing for Barris to claim KITT, cause he had some involvement with the SPM car. But the BTTF Delorean, he had absolutely no involvement with it! He's claiming it's screen used when it isn't the case. I've seen pictures of the Deloreans he produces, he puts huge tubes on the outside of them, it's awful!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue May 10, 2005 3:59 pm

Interestingly enough, I don't see any stories of how he "came up with" K.I.T.T. or the Back To the Future DeLorean. Maybe because it goes something along the lines of, "Glen Larson, creator of Knight Rider, came to me one day and asked if I could customize HIS character for the new season."

You know, this is really starting to tick me off. The guy has created so many pop culture iconic cars, so why can't he simply be honest about KITT and the DeLorean? I have no problems with the guy and think his work over the years is quite impressive, but I think it's lame, pathetic, sad and, above all, WRONG to fabricate facts like that.

People sue for things like this! Now he's auctioning off these cars and making more money than he should be for the ones he's not directly responsible for. I wish somebody would interview him and ask him some hard point-blank questions just to see if he'll B.S. on the spot. Set the record straight, Barris. If for no other other reason, because it's the right thing to do.