Does Rainbow Brite and Knight Rider have something in common

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

kitt_rulz
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Does Rainbow Brite and Knight Rider have something in common

Post by kitt_rulz » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:51 pm

I was watching an old Rainbow Brite move called Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer. In that movie there is a robotic horse called Onyx. Is it just me or does he sort of resemble a horse version of KITT?
I added a pic so you could compare:

Let me know what you think?

KITT

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:47 pm

Uh, I think KITT's better looking....;)

hot knight
Operative

Post by hot knight » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:45 pm

KITT al the way
:P

TashaKnight
Rookie

Post by TashaKnight » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:55 pm

yeah I have to agree. KITT looks much better, but I can see what you mean.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:39 pm

If you look hard enough you can probably find a Knight Rider reference in anything :) . I have to say I don't see the resemblance though, aside from the fact that they're both robotic and have red.

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:50 pm

If there's any kind of hydraulics in the horse's legs, he would probably do a good turbo boost.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:58 am

Well the horse does remind me of the FLAG logo. :)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:40 pm

Nice call on that, HondaSiR! I didn't even think of that! :)

I too agree, KITT looks much better. But then again, I'm biased. :lol:

Kitsune_Baka
Recruit

How interesting.

Post by Kitsune_Baka » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:42 pm

Hey, don't knock those 80's toon classics. ^^

Unless Onyx's eye light "scanned" I don't think there is much similarity. I remember an episode of The Chimpunks where the trio gets sent to a military bootcamp and stumble upon a talking jeep. It had some wierd acronym name and an eagle for a hood ornament, the eyes were red and served as its scanner. And there was also an episode of Wierd Science (the tv series on USA network) where there was a fancy talking Porche with a female voice that tried to turn Wyatt and Gary against each other.

kitt_rulz
Operative

Re: How interesting.

Post by kitt_rulz » Sun May 01, 2005 10:55 pm

Kitsune_Baka wrote:Hey, don't knock those 80's toon classics. ^^

Unless Onyx's eye light "scanned" I don't think there is much similarity. I remember an episode of The Chimpunks where the trio gets sent to a military bootcamp and stumble upon a talking jeep. It had some wierd acronym name and an eagle for a hood ornament, the eyes were red and served as its scanner. And there was also an episode of Wierd Science (the tv series on USA network) where there was a fancy talking Porche with a female voice that tried to turn Wyatt and Gary against each other.
In the movie whenever Onyx spoke the light bar on his neck (or the mane) would light up just like KITT's voice box. Also ( Mr. Anderson) Onyx had a jet powered system and could fly. So he could turbo boost per say :lol:
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - God Futurama

chrisebourg
Operative

Post by chrisebourg » Tue May 03, 2005 6:17 pm

I Think I prefer the 4 wheeled car over the 4 legged pony :)

Major Ursa
Operative

Post by Major Ursa » Wed May 04, 2005 9:30 pm

I happen to like cartoons myself from the classics like Looney Tunes to 80s cartoons like Rainbow brite, Mr T., Voltron (the *0s version), and He Man. I tend to think that KITT would be more amimate in his voice compared to On-X. Then again, The arguments between Rainbow and Krys sound alot like when Michael Knight and Kitt havd thier disagreeances. At least Kitt and On-X don't gloat about being magnificent like Starlite.

By the way: Peter Cullen did the Voice of Murky Dismal in Rainbow Brite as well as KARR in Knight Rider and has done Optimus Prime in Transformers (another hot 80s cartoon). :kittside:
"Oh I just went to any Pontiac dealer and asked for the Trans Am with the James Bond option package." - Micro Knutt, Knutt Rider(A Mad Magazine parody of Knight Rider)

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Wed May 04, 2005 11:57 pm

In that case, I would have a tough time deciding, Kitt_Rulz.
They both look really cool.

Hey, there is an '80s cartoon that reminded me of Knight Rider. It was called "Turbo Teen". Remember that little diddy?

The car did drive itself, it talked, and even the theme sounded like a sped-up version of the Knight Rider theme.

knytrydr
Volunteer

Post by knytrydr » Fri May 06, 2005 2:29 pm

walter h. anderson wrote: Hey, there is an '80s cartoon that reminded me of Knight Rider. It was called "Turbo Teen". Remember that little diddy?
There's a show I havne't heard about in ages. If i remember right didn;t he turn into the car when he touched something hot or his body temp. rose?

Phoenix915
Operative

Post by Phoenix915 » Fri May 06, 2005 3:36 pm

Nope, doesn't remind me of 'KR' at all. :roll:

From what I've been able to find on the net, our hero, Brett Matthews, accidentially drove his brand-new ('82) Camaro/Firebird into a research lab and was zapped by an expirimental laser, the result being whenever his body heat goes up, he turns into his car. And instead of commiting himself to a hospital/body shop, he does what you or I would do in the same situation: fight crime with his friends Alex and Pattie and his sheepdog Rusty.

A tounge-in-cheek (and slightly tasteless) review of an episode of Turbo Teen can be foundhere.
Last edited by Phoenix915 on Fri May 06, 2005 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xCherylx
Volunteer

Post by xCherylx » Fri May 06, 2005 3:43 pm

dont really seem a resemblance

Phoenix915
Operative

Post by Phoenix915 » Fri May 06, 2005 4:01 pm

I just gave a brief outline. Some of the more KR aspects from this 1983 one-season wonder:

Brett is able to talk while in car form, and when he does, we see a small wavy line on a computer screen where the stick should be, since Brett can also drive himself.

He can also do what they called a 'rocket boost', which is pretty much identical to 'Turbo Boost'. There is also a mysterious man called Dark Rider lurking around.

(Whoa, Dark Rider? I'm suprised a pack of Universal's lawyers didn't show up with a court order.)

And while not 'KR' related, the pictures of Brett's transformation into his car, aka 'Turbo Teen' is one of the more disturbing things I've seen in a children's cartoon.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri May 06, 2005 4:24 pm

I definitely see the Knight Rider influence on Turbo Teen. The car in the cartoon pretty much looks like a red K.I.T.T. climbing a steep incline.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Fri May 06, 2005 9:40 pm

Turbo Teen was definitely inspired by Knight Rider, no doubt about that. It's a 1982 Camaro/Firebird...there's the trademark cowl induction hood and targa top. Not to mention that the car talks and comes with its own version of a voice box. Doesn't matter if they colored the car red, its still a pale imitation of KITT from a distance.

AtariKnight
Operative

Post by AtariKnight » Sat May 07, 2005 4:50 am

Phoenix915 wrote:Image

Nope, doesn't remind me of 'KR' at all. :roll:

From what I've been able to find on the net, our hero, Brett Matthews, accidentially drove his brand-new ('82) Camaro/Firebird into a research lab and was zapped by an expirimental laser, the result being whenever his body heat goes up, he turns into his car. And instead of commiting himself to a hospital/body shop, he does what you or I would do in the same situation: fight crime with his friends Alex and Pattie and his sheepdog Rusty.

A tounge-in-cheek (and slightly tasteless) review of an episode of Turbo Teen can be foundhere.
Whoa, Thats a blast from the past, I remember watching that show. :D

jyd85
Operative

Post by jyd85 » Sat May 07, 2005 9:08 am

I remember Turbo Teen, but I was more into Pole Position.

Phoenix915
Operative

Post by Phoenix915 » Sat May 07, 2005 11:46 am

POLE POSITION

ImageImage
ImageImage

Looking up information on old cartoons is fun! Wheee!

Three children (Dan, Tess and little sister Daisy Darrett), whose parents worked for a seceret organization called Pole Position, are called in by their uncle/Pole Position chief, Dr. Zachary Darrett, when their parents disappear. Dan and Tess are given two AI cars, Roadie and Wheels, and together (with Durma, an intelligent racoon)they travel around the country solving mysteries using a stunt show as a cover.

Now for the Knight Rider aspects: The kids travel around in a semi with all sorts of gadgets inside and a similar logo on the side of it. Dr. Zachary resembles Devon *slightly*. The cars can talk and are capable of KITT-like tricks. I'm unsure if they can drive themselves. The end of the opening video has the two cars zooming away from camera into the desert, a la the end of the Knight Rider opening.

jyd85
Operative

Post by jyd85 » Sat May 07, 2005 5:23 pm

Neat! :D Yes that show was definitely more like Knight Rider to me. I think that was the one cartoon me and my older siblings could agree on.
Now for the Knight Rider aspects: The kids travel around in a semi with all sorts of gadgets inside and a similar logo on the side of it. Dr. Zachary resembles Devon *slightly*. The cars can talk and are capable of KITT-like tricks. I'm unsure if they can drive themselves. The end of the opening video has the two cars zooming away from camera into the desert, a la the end of the Knight Rider opening.
I don't remember if they could drive themselves, but I remember the kids could take the computers out of the cars. (Kind of like KITT in Soul Survivor.)

kitt_rulz
Operative

Post by kitt_rulz » Sun May 08, 2005 6:53 am

anyone know where i can get a clip or a preview of those two series? I have never seen them but would like to get a taste of what they were like.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - God Futurama

Phoenix915
Operative

Post by Phoenix915 » Sun May 08, 2005 10:11 am

For Pole Position, the opening video can be found here.

Turbo Teen seems to be harder to find video for. A tounge-in-cheek review of an episode is right here. Be prepared to scroll.