Post your Season 2 Reviews here

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by neps » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:56 pm

Perhaps it was a VHS vs DVD issue? Or the contract had a year agreement, like 20 years from the airing of the episode, which would have since expired? Or Prince was more compassionate then. :D

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:42 pm

The removal of the Prince song didn't matter to me; I thought the song that replaced it was integrated into the episode itself....
Anyhow, it's good to see whole episodes of the 2nd season, and yes, there are moments I don't remember seeing on those original episodes, or didn't notice before, so I'm glad they're intact that way.
I think the 3rd season DVD of "Knight Rider" should be given ample amount of time to get fully ready---original songs and all--for release, and that includes getting the rights to each song originally played during the 3rd season before the 3rd season gets released on DVD, whenever that may be....
I'm not rushing for the 3rd season of "Knight Rider" to be released so quickly; I'd rarther see Universal take its time in getting everything firmly in place, from extras to original music included, first.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:40 pm

I think I liked it during the "A Good Knight's Work" episode, in which KITT didn't let a dishonest car dealer sell lemon cars to unsuspecting customers, to teach the dishonest car dealer a lesson in how to honestly not gyp potential customers. ;)
We sure could use a lot more genuine honesty in such a superficial world...... :roll: :?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:47 pm

So what song replaced Prince's (or the Artist formely known as Prince or the Prince formely known as Artist) "Little Red Corvette"?

Not that I'm making a fuss of that one song (actually, I'm relieved it only turned out to be one song), but I was just curious if it is the typical instrumental background music or a cover song.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:48 am

Maybe since the Columbia House DVD wasn't such a wide release, they didn't notice it that much or didn't care as much, plus with the money CH was making they could've easily paid off any debts or grievances.

The song that replaced it sounds like some pop arrangement that they put together, it doesn't sound like an actual song...

Let's hope that Universal pays some dough to The Purple One, since Season 3 has the same song in KNIGHT OF THE DRONES, and "When Doves Cry" is in the episode DEAD OF KNIGHT.

SH

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:35 am

(Mea culpa. I (Mike) accidently deleted this message while trying to reply. Neil and I tried to beuild it from our caches with no luck. My sincere apologies Paul, I did not mean to remove your message)

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:30 am

I feel your pain Paul, I spent all night going over my old copies trying to track down the elusive song (http://bb.knightrideronline.com/viewtop ... ght=#77387). It's really a tough process for both us and I'm sure Universal. Although it does help that the majority of the times that third party music was used in the second season it was either when Michael was driving for fun, in a bar or playing on a radio.

The fact that only one song is changed means to me that they did try this time around. The replacement this time is like a warped version of Little Red Corvette, if it's overall volume was a bit lower I wouldn't mind it really, it seems louder then all others.

They have a tough task ahead, and if it doesn't make it out for Christmas, I'd rather that then more replacements.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:37 am

I'm not so sure the entire reason why Universal doesn't include all original music in its DVD sets is because of trouble obtaining licenses. Again, using Quantum Leap as a good reference, there was that handful of original songs that did remain-- because they were sung by the characters.

In those cases Universal didn't seem to have problems obtaining the licenses, and it seems like they didn't have a choice either. It would look pretty awkward hearing Sam singing "Heard It Through the Grapevine" with another song actually playing, so they had to let those scenes still make sense.

This gives me the impression that the company is playing it cheap. I can't help but see the whole thing as a typical business decision to save the company money whenever possible. My point here is that if they absolutely have to, they'll get the songs in there. I would expect that the same effort should be given for EVERY song in seasons 3 & 4.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:26 am

Is it that they are playing it cheap, or do they prioritize which songs to fight harder for? Of course they're not going to replace a song that a character sings, and I would think that would get more effort to securing it. This processes is a two way effort, Universal and the license holder. For all we know they could be making ridiculous demands, we are barely getting one side. I don't think we'll know what the process entails until they start talking, and I recently asked and they aren't.

The point is too many people were making a stink about Season 2 before anything was even decided. I think after seeing the results here we should take it down a notch, call off the pit bulls, and all take a deep breath.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:52 am

Oh I agree, as I'm definitely pleased the way Season 2 turned out. I don't want to jump the gun and start worrying about Season 3 before I've even bought the Season 2 DVDs, though. And to tell you the truth, I think a lot of the people who own the rights to many of these songs do make ridiculous demands, only at the same time, I keep seeing the fact that Universal (being a billion dollar company) can afford it.

Maybe I'm being naïve here (or just being a pessimist), but I've always been skeptical of the decisions concerning the DVDs, especially since the company chooses to remain vague and/or silent about the circumstances. I guess it really depends on how you look at it, whether you choose to give Universal the benefit of the doubt or not. I always chose not. Anyway, I digress with the Universal music issue (better off that way since anyone can browse the boards) and look forward to picking up the Season 2 set this weekend. :)

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:32 pm

Everybody the boxset is so awesome. The picture the Quality is excellent. I've watched 2 episodes Goliath, and Custom K.I.T.T. Tonight i hope to watch Blind Spot. It's one of the episodes in season 2 i really enjoy watching. I give the set 10 out of 10. Even though this set doesn't bonus fictures. The boxset is still so awesome.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:03 am

All I can say is that the 2nd season of "Knight Rider" is a lot more action-packed than I thought it was, and the DVD sure proved that to be the case! :)

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:12 pm

I am verry happy with mine got it Wenesday.

up to "kitt the cat"

And you do get quite a bit more footage than the televised vesion's.

Not to mention the awesome picture quality.

If a am pushed to find something to complain about its the univesal logo on the start of each episode, so I just fast foward past that.

But overwise great set, can't wait for the rermaining 2 seasons on Dvd.

knightrider#1fan
Recruit

Post by knightrider#1fan » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:45 pm

I Just Finished Watching the set today!! it was great!! I have to take my set back though and get it exchange and watch it again and make sure the exchange is ok, i can't get my player to read the second side of the first disc i can get to the menu and watch but at the end of Custom K.I.T.T I have trouble with it just skiping to the credits. when my players says can not read disc i have to manually bring up the menu. Hope My exchange works alright!! anyone else get one with a faulty disc? I won't Mind watching it again though!! Knight Rider is awsome!! :D Can't Wait for seasons 3 and 4!!! :D

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:18 pm

I know this sounds simple but did you try cleaning the disc? If it plays the rest of it, it shouldn't have a problem with that little part.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:52 pm

You know I was thinking more on the fact that they cropped some shots and then I saw something and I realized this. It just makes us have to look harder for bloopers and errors that they didn't catch. Like what the heck is this?

from Speed Demons

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:57 pm

That shot came from a season two episode, right Neps? If so, then SPM didn't exist yet. My best guess is its a contraption designed to hold a camera in place...like when taking some footage of KITT's right front fender/wheel when in motion. Why the camera crew didn't remove it for this shot I have no idea. :?

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:13 am

That's right -- that footage was actually shot during Season 1. K.I.T.T.'s entry into the semi on that stretch of road can be seen in The Topaz Connection -- and there's a camera attached to K.I.T.T. right at that spot.

- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchive.com

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:20 am

Well I know that! :P I was just saying that the removal of some known items will make us have to look harder for the unknown ones.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:26 am

I noticed that ages ago, even when I watched them on VHS but thought nothing of it.

ANDREWHEARNE
Rookie

Post by ANDREWHEARNE » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:42 pm

I have just started watching my set and very good - however just wondered if anyone had similar problems

I was watching Goliath part two and the bit when April tests KITTS new laser scene - the screen goes all fuzzy and jumpy - could this be a problem on the disc or my DVD player? I have a Samsung S224 and it takes me back to the main menu

I'll check out the rest of the disk and the other ones but i've had it for up to 10 days - from DVD Concept - would it be best to contact them?

Thanks

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:46 pm

No problems with mine,

alough Watching Goliath round my mate's on his player, it Jumped on the part where Garth gets trapped in the semi when he says"This is Kidnapping"

But that strangly enough only happens on his player,

Played it on mine over and over agian, and it's perect.

I suggest you try a couple of things.

check the disc is clean and has no marks scratches etc that shoulden't be there.
If possable, play the bit your having trouble with on another player.

BTW, anyone had the subtitles on, when kitt's scanner is going I noticed they put"Kitt Humming" :lol: made me chuckle.

Deferranfan1
Operative

Post by Deferranfan1 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:38 pm

The one thing I love love love. NO DARN COMMERICALS
K.A.R.R. STILL LIVES
:kittspin:

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:34 am

Aargh.... I'm still waiting for the dvd to arrive from Amazon in my mail... :(

knightrules
Volunteer

Post by knightrules » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:23 pm

I noticed that too in the captions, very funny.

For those with skippy DVDs or freezing DVDs check your player too. I have a Sony player, couple years old, when they were $125+ and this player will detect the smallest thing skip, hiccup, pixelate and my $30 GREAT CyberHome player will play the DVD with 5 million scratches on it...flawlessly.

Cannot wait for Season 3 !

whet wrote:No problems with mine,

alough Watching Goliath round my mate's on his player, it Jumped on the part where Garth gets trapped in the semi when he says"This is Kidnapping"

But that strangly enough only happens on his player,

Played it on mine over and over agian, and it's perect.

I suggest you try a couple of things.

check the disc is clean and has no marks scratches etc that shoulden't be there.
If possable, play the bit your having trouble with on another player.

BTW, anyone had the subtitles on, when kitt's scanner is going I noticed they put"Kitt Humming" :lol: made me chuckle.