Season 2 DVDs beginning to appear

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:09 am

Season 1 of Miami Vice amazed me that all the music was intact. Even though I laugh as I hear some of the songs, like Lindsey Buckingham on the Great McCarthy (had forgot about that one) but it really sets the mood as a period TV show.

I don't really look at KR as a period show. Like Neil said the scores by peake are what make the later seasons (didn't care for the season 1 music). The purists say otherwise, but I think I would be able to carry on if some of the music were replaced.

theevolved1
Operative

Post by theevolved1 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:48 am

Itd suck if they replaced my favorite music pieces such as the ones in later seasons like the music in Knight of the Juggernaut. But As long as its something small I dont mind but it would suck if they started adding in *?$# from current day something like rap or crap like that.

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:34 am

When you say the prince song may be gone,

Do you mean just the song been deleted or the whole scene containing the song?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:04 am

Army_F_Body wrote:Season 1 of Miami Vice amazed me that all the music was intact. Even though I laugh as I hear some of the songs, like Lindsey Buckingham on the Great McCarthy (had forgot about that one) but it really sets the mood as a period TV show.
Well, I know that for the Miami Vice: The Complete First Season set Universal took their time acquiring the licensing for the music. The set would have originally came out last year or earlier, but Universal vowed not to release the set until they could straighten out all of the music issues.

But they also have a lot less pressure to premier a DVD set by a certain time than they have to keep up a momentum between season releases. I think this was why Quantum Leap's first season was unaffected, plus the fact that Universal only had 8 episodes to worry about.

Personally, I wish those nozzles would just suck it up, spend the money for each song (which I know are ridiculously expensive but this is a BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY that will make its money back [and then some] when the set is released anyway!), and acquire the music for EVERY season before they release it at all.

That would never happen because it took at least two years just to release one season of Miami Vice. But I'd rather wait it out and have my shows intact as they ORIGINALLY aired rather than get them sooner and butchered. I like more for my money, not less, but that's just me.

As for Knight Rider, it sounds like good news so far. Season 3 is probably the most dependent on music out of all the seasons (and there's a good amount of songs featured by the original artists, too), so that is probably the biggest hurdle to worry about. But as for now, I'm glad that the second season seems to be intact.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:38 am

neps wrote: I've gone through them all, and I think we are 99% in the clear. The only one I'm questioning that I want to double check is White Line Warriors. I think the Prince song may be gone, which is probably right cause I know he can be quite difficult when it comes to licensing.
That sounds ok, if that's all what's deleted/altered, I'll be happy with it and will definetely buy it when it arrives here as a scandinavian version.

-KITTfan-

Phoenix915
Operative

Post by Phoenix915 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:25 pm

This is what happens when you don't check KRO before going out shopping. :D

If I had known that the DVDs were starting to show up, I would've looked in FYE and possibly Wal-Mart yesterday evening. (I don't like going to it: the local one looks realllly uninviting.)

Only one song missing? Whew. I was afraid the soundtrack would undergo a 'Quantum Leap'-style removal. Glad to see that's not the case, but I've got my fingers crossed for seasons 3&4.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:49 pm

I'm confused.

Isn't the release date April 12th, 2005? Aren't there laws that keep retailers from selling media before the release date?
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:28 pm

I seriously hope that when I drive nearly a half hour to the Wal-Mart nearest to my school on Tuesday that they have it in stock. I'll be royally pist if I waste my gas for nothing. My roommate is telling me to call before hand but I always feel like a dork doing that but perhaps it's not that bad of an idea.
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

TimmyZ1
Volunteer

Post by TimmyZ1 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:28 pm

I got mine!!!!!! South Florida people they have it on sale at Best Buy near Sawgrass Mills Mall. Just picked it up a half-hour ago. Honestly the clear packaging strikes as a tad cheesy but I'm pleased to get it.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:50 pm

PBH wrote:I'm confused.

Isn't the release date April 12th, 2005? Aren't there laws that keep retailers from selling media before the release date?
Well I'm not sure if it's a state law or more of a contractual agreement. It is usually more enforced with recent blockbuster movies and relies for the most part on the consumer to report the infraction. But companies that break the street date and are found out usually get the shaft when it comes to quantities or delivery of the next hot item.

And very cool that you found it Timmy. You mean the interior cases being clear? Eh, the least of the worries to be honest, it's hidden away when you're storing it on the shelf. :)

theevolved1
Operative

Post by theevolved1 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:39 am

PBH wrote:I'm confused.

Its not a law its just a contractual agreement that the Retailers have with the Distributors. Like Neps said if companies break the street date they delay the shipping on future products so most companies wont sell them till the release date.

LadyV2000 wrote:I seriously hope that when I drive nearly a half hour to the Wal-Mart nearest to my school on Tuesday that they have it in stock. I'll be royally pist if I waste my gas for nothing. My roommate is telling me to call before hand but I always feel like a dork doing that but perhaps it's not that bad of an idea.
I would listen to your roommate if I were you. Wal-Mart tends to suck when it comes to having things shipped on time. Like I said earlier in the topic I went to a few Wal-Marts and they all told me that they wernt allowed to sell it till tuesday and then when I went back to the one on Tuesday they were like well we didnt get it in yet and probably wont till next week. So if your going to buy it the release date your best bet would be Best Buy or Circuit City or something along those lines. Hoped this helped.

Luckily but also unfortunate I work on Tuesday morning but thats cool because I can pick up my copy of it before the store even opens on Tuesday. Although im only working till 11AM which is an hour after the store opens so I can just go straight home and watch Season 2 :-D

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:57 pm

Neil,

I have a question about the teaser for Goliath. Is it the same one that Columbia House used, or the original 1 minute NBC version that has an announcer saying "And now, there's double trouble for Michael and KITT on the special 2 hour season premiere of Knight Rider..."?

Thanks,
Joe

chrisebourg
Operative

Post by chrisebourg » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:10 am

neps wrote:Yes, they are double sided discs, three of them to be exact :(

They also reduced the price of the Season 1 set, so if you look on Amazon, you may see the Season 1 listed as pre-order. Nothing has changed, just the price reduction for MSRP.
I don't know about the rest of you but I do not like double sided discs. I know they may contain more data but I prefer the dual layered discs containing more discs. Less chance of them getting damaged.

chrisebourg
Operative

Post by chrisebourg » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:11 am

neps wrote:I got the set while I was at work a few hours ago, so I didn't have the change to post until now. I looked briefly at Goliath and Merchants of Death and I was quite happy. Will need to look at it closer tonight.

Yep, it does include the croping into the dessert scenes with KITT. It also includes the 30 second teasers before the episode.
:) at least the teasers are there. some Extras!

chrisebourg
Operative

Post by chrisebourg » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:18 am

LadyV2000 wrote:I seriously hope that when I drive nearly a half hour to the Wal-Mart nearest to my school on Tuesday that they have it in stock. I'll be royally pist if I waste my gas for nothing. My roommate is telling me to call before hand but I always feel like a dork doing that but perhaps it's not that bad of an idea.
If you are going to be driving 30 minutes out of your way to purchase the KR series, it would be a good idea to call. They don;'t know who you are and it will save you the $$$ if they don't have it! 8)

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:37 am

Joe Huth wrote:Neil,

I have a question about the teaser for Goliath. Is it the same one that Columbia House used, or the original 1 minute NBC version that has an announcer saying "And now, there's double trouble for Michael and KITT on the special 2 hour season premiere of Knight Rider..."?
Good question Joe. It seems to be the other trailer, not the one NBC made. But do we know the history of the two trailers? Did Universal produce their standard trailer, and NBC took it on themselves to create a special one?

theevolved1
Operative

Post by theevolved1 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:01 pm

Just to update you all on the question of what happens to the companies that sell it early...

We had a store meeting this morning and the issue of this came up in my department meeting because apparently someone in our department mixed up a box and a bunch of stuff that wasnt released yet and it ended up on the sales floor and 2 of them got sold. So basically which means if the Company finds out about it our store will be fined $10,000 per DVD that was sold. I dont think it was the Knight Rider Season 2 but just to give you an idea what happens when stores sell *?$# earlier than they are supposed to.

hot knight
Operative

Post by hot knight » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:54 am

First time checking back in awhile. I'm glade to hear some of us already have the DVD, but of course I'm still waiting. I'm glade to hear that everything is OK. Can't wait for mine. Hope it comes sooner than later. If I have to wait to long I'll know nexttime not to order it. :cry:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:23 pm

I just got an email from Amazon.com that my Season 2 DVD set has SHIPPED! :) By the looks of it, I just MAY get it tomorrow, but if not then definitely the next day. w00t! :dance:

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:22 pm

Lyn wrote:I think D. Hasselhoff does villain roles a little too well, but hey, he gets out plenty of aggressions that way....;)
I remember an interview quote about how David's own father thought that Garthe was a better actor then David... :oops:

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:36 pm

neps wrote:Image
Heh...David's head moved like his wound did in the pilot. (SARCASM)Very imaginative, Universal. Will David and KITT switch sections for sets 3 & 4?(/SARCASM)

...And, now for something completely different...

Oh, thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU,(!!!) Universal, for giving me such a wonderful B-Day present. :lol:

chrisebourg
Operative

Post by chrisebourg » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:37 am

FuzzieDice wrote:I just got an email from Amazon.com that my Season 2 DVD set has SHIPPED! :) By the looks of it, I just MAY get it tomorrow, but if not then definitely the next day. w00t! :dance:
same here... hopefully, I will come back from work tomorrow and will have 2 full days off of KR!!!! :D

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:14 am

I have mine now, which was delivered in the mail the day before the release date, which means it pays to get the DVD ordered early via Amazon.com ...:)
The DVD set was ordered in February and it's good I have the 2nd season on DVD, which is great! :dance:
I feel as if I'm reliving getting excited over "Knight Rider" having a 2nd season all over again, too! :shock: :D :!:

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:54 am

I'm going to check out my local Walmart, or Best Buy tonight to see if they have it on the selfs.

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:31 am

I wonder if David and the cast of Knight Rider get a complmentry set of Universal?

I think it would be a nice gesture from Universal.