Anybody want a 80s release of a KITT model?

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Anybody want a 80s release of a KITT model?

Post by Dave Knight » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:24 pm

I got this on ebay thinking it was the 82/83 issue (those 'kits' had a promotion where you COULD win a 84 corvette) this kit has the same box art as that issue just its missing that promotion on the box art. it is SEALED with a 6.38 K Mart price sticker on it :shock: i already have one from 83 i only bought it so i could use the more accurate body shell and combine it with the reissue to make a detailed kitt model. but i didnt know till i got it in the mail that its SEALED. so if you want a rare Out of Production kitt model in your collection, or you want to open it up and build it here is the perfect opportunity. Im asking 12 bucks for the kit shipping will depend on your zipcode, most of the times it will be 2-4 bucks thats how much it cost to ship a model to a guy in california and i live in NY. please see that KITT finds a good home :wink:

SEALED MINTY KITT FRESHNESS :D
Last edited by Dave Knight on Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:42 pm

Does every version of those models say "Knight 2000" on the front bumper? If that's the case, it would defeat the whole purpose of trying to get complete accuracy for me.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:49 pm

Lost Knight wrote:Does every version of those models say "Knight 2000" on the front bumper? If that's the case, it would defeat the whole purpose of trying to get complete accuracy for me.
I'm afraid so, Lost Knight. But then again, the model itself isn't accurate, depending on what version of KITT (including what episode) you are building and what season. If you're building KITT from the first or second season, yes, then it's accurate. But if you're building KITT from an episode in Season 4, then it would be a bit inaccurate.

Knight 52
Volunteer

Post by Knight 52 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:11 pm

Dave,

If you read this I'll by the model kit from you.

E-mail me at Batfan@localnet.com

Knight 52 :)

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:26 pm

Dave, Which part of Ny do you live? I might take you up on your offer. - Sam
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Post by sheltonw3 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:46 am

CB2001 wrote:
Lost Knight wrote:Does every version of those models say "Knight 2000" on the front bumper? If that's the case, it would defeat the whole purpose of trying to get complete accuracy for me.
I'm afraid so, Lost Knight. But then again, the model itself isn't accurate, depending on what version of KITT (including what episode) you are building and what season. If you're building KITT from the first or second season, yes, then it's accurate. But if you're building KITT from an episode in Season 4, then it would be a bit inaccurate.

Orr...you can get bold and carve the nose a little and mod up the dash to 3/4th season and get what you want!Image
"Really?....some people are simply just too much!"

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:14 am

KITT is on hold pending if the guy goes through with the sale, if it falls through ill let you guys know

FYI the KNIGHT 2000 is easy to remove just fine sand paper takes it right off, then spray the bumper in primer (fills in any fine scratches in plastic) and then spray the body in the color of your choice ;)

PS i live near near Lake Erie by the NY/PA state line

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:02 am

sheltonw3 wrote: Orr...you can get bold and carve the nose a little and mod up the dash to 3/4th season and get what you want!Image
That's both necessarily true and false. There are the vents on the fenders you'd have to fill in too. Because KITT didn't have those in Season 4.

Plus, you have to also take into account what episode version of KITT you want to do. In "Knight of the Phoenix", there were two versions of the front bumper. There's also the times KITT had been damaged. There's also the episode where KITT went "undercover" for a car show. There was KITT stripped of MBS from "Junkyard Dog", amongst others.

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Post by sheltonw3 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:35 am

CB2001 wrote:
sheltonw3 wrote: Orr...you can get bold and carve the nose a little and mod up the dash to 3/4th season and get what you want!Image
That's both necessarily true and false. There are the vents on the fenders you'd have to fill in too. Because KITT didn't have those in Season 4.

Plus, you have to also take into account what episode version of KITT you want to do. In "Knight of the Phoenix", there were two versions of the front bumper. There's also the times KITT had been damaged. There's also the episode where KITT went "undercover" for a car show. There was KITT stripped of MBS from "Junkyard Dog", amongst others.

I should know I have built just about every model version and I am still in the process to build a wrecked version from juggernaut!

and kitt did have fender vents in season 4!...the trans am vent in the fuller size were discontinued in 1988 and they were replaced with smaller ones!

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Post by sheltonw3 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:40 am

Including this monster!Image

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:59 pm

Are you sure KITT still had those vents? Because I don't recall him having them in "Knight Sting".

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:58 pm

KITT has been sold thanks guys im glad he found a good home :o

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:04 pm

DAMN DAMN DAMN. :x Its Okay. 8)

600th POST :dance: :dance: :dance: Make room in the 600 club. 8)
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Post by sheltonw3 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:09 pm

CB2001 wrote:Are you sure KITT still had those vents? Because I don't recall him having them in "Knight Sting".
You might have been viewing bits of old footage the 1/2 season that they used to fill some gaps with?....they often did do that in the 3/4th seasons!

LoneKnight
Rookie

Post by LoneKnight » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:16 pm

I've built the original MPC release and the AMT/ERTL re-release, and the molds are the same. No side fender air vents, that stupid lettering on the front bumper....

Some sand paper and a sharp xacto knife are all you need to accurize the kit.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:43 pm

What are the differences between original 80's KITT model and the re-release version?

-KITTfan-

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:29 pm

All the regular KITTs used through out the show were Trans Ams and had the extractor vents. They would have had to swap out the fenders for season 4 which really doesn't make sense. The only KITTs that was made from a Firebird was the convertable car and SPM car, but from what I can gather the fenders were cut and the vents were added on the c-mode car. The SPM car had some funky vent poppie out thingie in place of the extractor.

I, however, wonder if they used some plain Jane Firebirds in stunk sequences? If you notice on some episodes a regular un-modded car finds it's place into a stunt. Look at "Big Iron" when KITT gets knocked into the ditch and covered over with dirt. It's a regular car with the stock front bumper. Maybe there were some sequences in S4 where it was cheaper to use a stock car, in which case it would be cheaper to use a Firebird in place of an actual T/A or dressed up stunt car. They tried to cut back as much as possible during S4 anyway, so it would make sense.

As for the re-release it looks like the body shell is from the 89 Turbo Trans Am Indy 500 pace car kit. So no extractor vents, Indy 500 emblem molded on the rocker trim and Firebird emblems molded on the sail panels. It has the bubble style late model tail lights as well. I also noticed that the body did not line up well with the undercarriage and wheels. I think the original 80s kit was way better.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:58 pm

KITTfan wrote:What are the differences between original 80's KITT model and the re-release version?

-KITTfan-
From what I remember from the MPC release, the first one was molded in black, and the new one is molded in a grey plastic. Otherwise, there's no differences I can tell of.
If you don't make a difference, you are not the Knight Rider.

LoneKnight
Rookie

Post by LoneKnight » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:48 pm

Aside from the color of the plastic, nothing. Others I've talked to have said there have been the side vents on the original MPC release, but I've never seen them and I've built two MPC kits.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:31 pm

Well I built one in 84, 88 and one in 02. I noticed a big difference.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:10 pm

Everything you need to know about the different kinds of MPC KITT model kits from 1983 to the present is found in this link (scroll down towards the bottom of the page). There are two kinds of MPC molds and one from the later AMT/ERTL company.

Link: http://www.smallartworks.ca/Gallery/Kitt/Kitt.html

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Post by sheltonw3 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 am

I 'll try to get some pics up with both the 1st season kitt and the 4th season kitt models and you will definetly see a HUGE difference between the two!....new and old!

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:55 am

HondaSiR wrote:Everything you need to know about the different kinds of MPC KITT model kits from 1983 to the present is found in this link (scroll down towards the bottom of the page). There are two kinds of MPC molds and one from the later AMT/ERTL company.

Good link. The one in 84 my Dad and I built was an orginal kit. The one I found in 88 was still a "golden opportunity" kit. It was barried behind a bunch of models at local toys R us. I dusted it off and ran with it to the register. I also was able to find the huge red 82 T/A golden opportunity kit there that same summer.

The re-release I wouldn't recomend very highly. I made another one in high school that was made from some other brand 1/25 83 T/A I beleive. I took the nose off of the 88 model and grafted the dash board in. It looked way better than any combined, wished I still had it.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:26 am

HondaSiR wrote:Everything you need to know about the different kinds of MPC KITT model kits from 1983 to the present is found in this link (scroll down towards the bottom of the page). There are two kinds of MPC molds and one from the later AMT/ERTL company.

Thanks! It's very useful link, I didn't even know there was 3 releases of this KITT model.

-KITTfan-

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

1992 Trans am GTA kift!!!!!!

Post by sheltonw3 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:50 am

PICSImage

the idea for the nose design came from Vampires 1992 pontiac photo shop!