Federal Government fines customization companies

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

kitt-x
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by kitt-x » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:00 pm

It actually isn't that bad. Yes my pods are totally functional. I have routed stock functions to the pod switches, but never removed the ability to operate the stock functions via stock buttons. Does than make sense? The car can operated fine without the pod unit. I used molex connectors for all the wiring for make removal and installation a snap. The gullwing isn't hard to remove either. I have take parts out of and reinstalled them so many times in my car that it is all pretty routine now.

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:01 am

Just out of curiosity, what happens when you live in a more liberal state like Florida, where they don't have inspections, and you drive to NY for a few days to visit relatives/family etc?

Would you have to alter your car each time you crossed the state line?

kitt-x
Rookie

Post by kitt-x » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:07 am

Nah, I wouldn't bother with that. If you were just visiting I doubt you would get hassled as long as you were obeying traffic laws.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:13 am

Might wanna keep your scanner off, though ;)

An interesting point, if KITT were real, and FLAG actually had any dealings in PA, would KITT be considered an "emergency vehicle?"
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:21 am

I don't see why anybody would drive their K.I.T.T. replica around with the scanner light flashing any more than once-in-a-while for a thrill. It seems like common sense to keep it off for the most part unless you feel safe in a certain area from cops, but even then I would only use it sparingly and mostly for when the car is parked. I have a question concerning these replicas though for kitt-x. Doesn't running the scanner and/or leaving the dashboard lit without the car on drain the battery severely?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:29 am

If FLAG was real, I would think they would have a special agreement with the government, or that the government would just turn a blind eye to the scanner. They are working for good after all.

If it wasn't illegal in real life, I would drive around constantly with the scanner light on.

Aaah, I see kitt-x. I think the most surprising thing to me at the Nationals was that the majority of the original dash was intact underneath some of the replicas. For some reason previously I always thought it was torn out completely.

trooper TK-WHA??
Rookie

Post by trooper TK-WHA?? » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:14 am

I was wondering.I've seen these leather-looking vinyl nose covers on Corvettes and Camaros for years.I'm pretty sure they're available for Firebirds/T/As.Would such a cover fit on a KITT nose?If it did,it would completely cover the scanner.
If only I had a nickel for every time someone cut me off on the parkway and wished for a Turbo-Boost or Micro-jammer...

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:09 pm

trooper TK-WHA?? wrote:I was wondering.I've seen these leather-looking vinyl nose covers on Corvettes and Camaros for years.I'm pretty sure they're available for Firebirds/T/As.Would such a cover fit on a KITT nose?If it did,it would completely cover the scanner.
The device that you are describing is called a "bra". I haven't seen a KITT or KARR replica that has a custom-made bra and I don't think I ever will (KITT will definitely protest when installing one on his nose....as he has protested when Michael jokingly threatened to attach mudflaps on KITT in one episode).

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:30 pm

Besides, a Bra would ruin the look of the nose. As long as the scanner is off, you are fine. I don't think there is a need for a Bra on the nose, unless your doing it for more of protection, and even that is debateable.

trooper TK-WHA??
Rookie

Post by trooper TK-WHA?? » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:01 am

ok,I understand what you're saying.I was thinking along the lines of protecting an investment.The scanner,nose,and paint job alone is a sizeable chunk of change.Look at the front bumper of you're regular car.There's probably minor scuffs and scratches from stuff being kicked up on the road.And also,I can only imagine what it's like to see heads turn and jaws drop when driving by or pulling up in a KITT replica.But for those who own a replica,wouldn't it be a safe bet to say as cool as a KITT replica is,you don't want to attract attention to yourself ALL the time?
If only I had a nickel for every time someone cut me off on the parkway and wished for a Turbo-Boost or Micro-jammer...

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:54 am

I would think that its more of a waste of your money if you have a KITT replica and hid the front nose under a flimsy material/bra. After all, that's the reason we all want a replica, right? To show it off to the public? Why hide it? I don't think the paint chips that are incurred while driving makes that much damage anyway if you drive sensively on well paved roads (no off-roading).

Besides, the bra is made up of a leather-like material which requires removal every time you wash the car. And you have to apply a coat of protectant to the leather to keep it in good condition, away from cracks. I think that all this trouble and expense will not be worth it in the long run. If you live in a place that has a lot of rainfall, the bra is definitely out of the question (too much hassle to remove, clean and reinstall).

On the rare occasions that you don't want attention, the bra will definitely attract more of it. Your replica will look ackward and sissy-like. Now that's the kind of attention nobody wants.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:01 pm

Ive seen cars with rust right around where the bra is. I think it does the car more harm than good having one anyway.

kitt-x
Rookie

Post by kitt-x » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:05 pm

I don't use the scanner when I drive my car, I try not to bring attention to it when driving on public roads.

Lost Knight wrote: I have a question concerning these replicas though for kitt-x. Doesn't running the scanner and/or leaving the dashboard lit without the car on drain the battery severely?
If you have only one battery, yes it would.
I have an aux. battery set up in my car so that I can run all my "bells and whistles" at shows for hours without worrying.

trooper TK-WHA??
Rookie

Post by trooper TK-WHA?? » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:41 pm

Point taken.Thanks.

Crovax Ws-6
Rookie

Post by Crovax Ws-6 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:03 am

well i am a state inspector in Mass. So i know pretty muc all the laws about modifying cars for this state. But oe thing i do know is that you can personally ask the federal government to remove your air bags, and they will give you a waiver that you can take to a car dealer or repair shop and they will remove your air bags. I luckily dont have air bags in my car. but that Wheel is just too non-functional for the type of driving i do. The scanner problem is the same in mass. You can have it on while pakred or "off road" but if they catch you with it on while driving then they can charge you with impersonating an emergency vehicle. I personally dont care. Ill have it on while driving and if they ask me ill tell them its reflective and it was someones headlights that made it look like it was on or something. Ive talked my self out of worse tickets lol. and Mass Staties are A-HOLEs when it comes to stuff like that.