*snif*

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

BabsBunny
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

*snif*

Post by BabsBunny » Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:26 pm

Hey, weird question. I was reading this fanfiction where someone asked KITT if he ever cried and he said yes, once or twice. of course that would be in human terms or what have you.

But it got me wondering. Would it be possible for KITT to cry in some form? I mean, he was able to express fear and anger and contentment in the show. What would the equivilant of crying be for him?

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

*snif*

Post by jup » Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:59 pm

Do computers dream of electric sheep?

Sure. Why not. If Kitt is capable of those other emotions, why not sadness?

But, what to do about creating tears? I don't know. Operate the windshield washers at extra low, perhaps? Then run those "evil" (Fry: "Hey! Kitt wasn't evil!") windshield wipers to dry away the tears?

SadArticle
Operative

*snif*

Post by SadArticle » Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:29 am

Well, he laughed in one episode, so why not the opposite end of the emotional spectrum? I just can't imagine it!

"I suppose I'd be quite hurt" - 'Knightmares'

Sarah

BabsBunny
Rookie

*snif*

Post by BabsBunny » Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:20 pm

Yeah? Which episode did he laugh in? I gotta hear this! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] *hintwavhint*

Babs Bunny

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

*snif*

Post by K.I.T.T » Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:41 pm

*rattling the brain" i do know it!! grrr
I watched the episode just the other day but the name escapes me.
Its the scene where a drunk tramp is at a cash machine where K.I.T.T is parked outside and ask's the machine for money (sorry if its not within script) anyway K.I.T.T gives he like $5 few days latter K.I.T.T has parked back at the same spot and a man tap's on the bonnet
"I say old man are you in there" him being the drunk...and explains he won on the lottery...K.I.T.T then laughs and says
"Well my man you were a good investment after all"
hmmm Nick you are blabbering again

K.I.T.T

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

*snif*

Post by K.I.T.T » Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:56 pm

Hills Of Fire!

Newcastle knight
Operative

*snif*

Post by Newcastle knight » Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:57 pm

He sorta laughs in 'Knights of the fast lane' (i think, may also be knight by a nose) when michael says "just tell me who's gonna win??" and KITT says "Michael" in a laughing sorta tone.

and in brothers keeper KITT says "the thought of michael alone in that awful place is quite upsetting" so there we go, he was upset !

scott

CK
Operative

*snif*

Post by CK » Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:08 pm

In Knight Behind Bars he sure didn't like Bonnie being in the pokey.

Cheri

SadArticle
Operative

*snif*

Post by SadArticle » Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Newcastle knight:
<STRONG>He sorta laughs in 'Knights of the fast lane' (i think, may also be knight by a nose) when michael says "just tell me who's gonna win??" and KITT says "Michael" in a laughing sorta tone.

scott</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's 'Knight By A Nose', I think - by process of elimination (I watched 'Knights of the Fast Lane' last night). That's the 'laugh' I was referring to.

Does anyone think that Kitt 'laughing' and such sort of ruined the effect? For a car that was always trying to suss out human emotion and behaviour, should Daniels have made him sound so 'technically' human? Or was Kitt's character all the better for not sticking to the 'Data can't use contractions' rule? (Please, Star Trek fans, don't come back at me for that phrase! I didn't watch TNG enough to know if Data did abbreviate words or not [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

Sarah

Karr84
Volunteer

*snif*

Post by Karr84 » Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:55 pm

I love that KITT expresses emotions. He seems to be real that way. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

*snif*

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:55 pm

It's more the KITT can't use contractions rule, and well, I think when they used his human emulation later on in the series, it was just conforming to his natural evolution. He was mimicking everything else the humans did as he learned how it was done, so why not a laugh here, or a moan there?

knightimmortal

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

*snif*

Post by K.I.T.T » Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:59 pm

I think he was right to.
It builds KITTS character through the seasons....from all the upgrades KITT got ...and all the functions he could do..are we surprised he could laugh...may just be me.

K.I.T.T [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

dinknight
Volunteer

*snif*

Post by dinknight » Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:40 am

Maybe his tears come out of those water nozzles meant to clean his windscreen.....and he can cover up his tears by using his wipers......

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

*snif*

Post by jup » Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:37 am

"...and that is for making me say ain't!"

Kitt and contractions. It's touchy.

I am under the impression that Kitt could use contractions, but considered them to be imprefect English and chose not to use them. It's not as though he was breaking a commandment rule. But, more along the lines of a personal rule.

In Data, on the other hand, it was more along the lines of a sub-program that weeded out the use of contractions and improper English. (There's a whole plot thread based around why things like that happened in Data.)

After writing Knight of the K.A.M.O., I practically needed a "contraction weeder outer" sub-routine. The number of "'"'s in Kitt's lines...oy.

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: jup ]

BabsBunny
Rookie

*snif*

Post by BabsBunny » Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:00 am

I don't think that quote had anything to do with contractions. I think KITT was upset because he wound up using bad grammar.. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

jup
FLAG Operative

*snif*

Post by jup » Sat Aug 31, 2002 5:07 pm

...which is why I called it a personal rule. (Like a promised goal you make to yourself. If you break it, you tend to punish yourself in some way...if you felt strongly enough about it in the first place.) Kitt probably strives to do everything by the book, including the rules of speech.

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

*snif*

Post by Centaurus17 » Mon Sep 02, 2002 9:53 pm

Hey there

Karr on the other hand does the famous yawn in the beginning of KITT v KARR. I guess after a long sleep, one needs a good yawn, even if you are a robot..heheh

In my opinion, the WAHHHHHH yawn that Karr did was one of the funniest KR moments of all times

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

*snif*

Post by CB2001 » Mon Sep 02, 2002 11:05 pm

Well, this was something I had planned for an original story, but I figured I'll go ahead and explain this.

Maybe, KITT can feel sad and the sadness can be overwelming to the point where he can cryout in sadness. But as for him crying in actual tears is another story all together. If I didn't have tear ducts, I think I would be crying out in sadness, and my breathing would react to that of when I would normally cry (deep breaths, with occasional quick).

Janeway
Recruit

*snif*

Post by Janeway » Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:18 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SadArticle:
<STRONG>

Or was Kitt's character all the better for not sticking to the 'Data can't use contractions' rule? (Please, Star Trek fans, don't come back at me for that phrase! I didn't watch TNG enough to know if Data did abbreviate words or not [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE></STRONG>

Relax, you're perfectly correct - Data couldn't (or 'could not' [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] ) use verbal contractions.
Note this line from 'The Offspring':

'You have used a verbal contraction - it is a skill my program never mastered'

Personally, I kind of like the way Kitt displayed 'human' reacions. As for crying...well, there is such a thing as crying without tears (that's the name of a song by Kula Shaker, BTW)

Imagine, Kitt is upset for one reason or another, and he has no way to release that emotion - that would be a difficult situation for him, surely.

Janeway