MUSIC SCORE

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Keon
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

MUSIC SCORE

Post by Keon » Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:19 pm

This may be a no brainer but I have to ask this anyway, I might be surprised in what people think, but who do you think did a better music score for Knight Rider, STU PHILLIPS from the first season or DON PEAKE from seasons 2 through 4. [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

MUSIC SCORE

Post by K.I.T.T » Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:54 pm

For me its Don Peake, Hands down!!

K.I.T.T

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

MUSIC SCORE

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:03 pm

Theres a difference???

Keon
Volunteer

MUSIC SCORE

Post by Keon » Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:16 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rockatteer:
<STRONG>Theres a difference???</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah listen to the music in the season one episodes. STU PHILLIPS music sounds a little more like an orchestra.

JL
Operative

MUSIC SCORE

Post by JL » Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:26 am

Stu Phillips' music sounds a bit more '70s (please don't ask me to define what I mean here... it's one of those "you feel it when you hear it" things), while Don Peake's sounds more '80s, and, at least for me, fits the show much better. That said, I love Phillips' chase theme, which was used throughout the first season, although the scene I always associate it with is in "Knight of the Phoenix" when Michael and KITT are being chased by the Comtron helicopter on the highway to the Millston airport.

Keon
Volunteer

MUSIC SCORE

Post by Keon » Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:52 am

I almost forgot about MORTON STEVENS, he composed the music for only one episode, "Deadly Manuvers" I enjoyed that marching band type of sound. Sometime I think about how the music would have sounded if it was composed by Mike Post and Pete Carpenter (A-Team, The Rockford Files) and all other Stephen J. Cannell shows.

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:15 am

That's a good question Keon, i feel a few episodes, not all of them, would have benefited from a lush score that Mike Post could have provided. His work on Magnum P.I. is a good example. "The Treasuree of (Name of the city they lived in)" is a episode with very good score.

Shows back then had exciting fun scores. CHiPs, Knight Rider, Magnum P.I., Airwolf. Only 2 of which have seen a official release.
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:29 am

While I realise there was a change in musicians, there was no drastic change in the music for it to be noticeable different at all.

However, the theme in season 4 was different enough to notice it. Don't ask me how, but you can tell they changed a few things.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:35 pm

I agree with Skav, the differences weren't that large as to actually tell a total difference, so selecting a favorite amongst the two is pretty darn difficult.

Season 4 definitely had a different sound to it. I can't put my finger on exactly, but it was definitely different.

knightimmortal

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:26 pm

actually, I think I've kinda become a Knight Rider music guru because, for years, I used to tape all the music clips from EVERY episode on cassette tapes when i was little and I'd listen to them non-stop for hours on end every week of every year. I still do it actually (like when I drive my car cuz it makes REALLY good driving music). One thing I've noticed about the music though is that there was a noticeable changeover in the episode where KITT's voice modulator changes from the square to the LED bars. It progressively became more "techno" towards the end of season 2 and Season 3 really introduced a major music overhaul that really lasted the rest of the series. And, just my opinion, I think season 2's music was the best out of all 4!!!
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:20 pm

I think the theme to season 4 was more echoey and the the music struck out at you more.

what instrument did they use to create the KR theme anyway? an orchestra?

i think it was just a simple case of the fact they changed a few instruments for season 4's theme.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:37 pm

Hey KFCreator, I like the most of 2nd season KR-music too.
My most favourite episodes are "Soul Survivor" and "Knightmares", the music in these episodes is the best KR-music in my opinion, I wish there would be a cd of that kind of KR-music :)

-KITTfan-

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:01 pm

Hmmm...if we have to discuss about music as a whole in the individual eps then I agree with KITTfan. Soul Survivor is my fave for music.

still would like to track down the music that hypnotizes michael.

Also, I liked the music in Goliath too. thought it was very upbeat and pumped.

Skav

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:48 pm

Skav wrote:Iwhat instrument did they use to create the KR theme anyway? an orchestra?

i think it was just a simple case of the fact they changed a few instruments for season 4's theme.

Skav
If you are talking about the opening theme, it was several synthesizers.

knightimmortal

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:23 pm

then they adjusted on those so it seems.

Skav

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:27 pm

Yeah, my favorite music of all the episodes was definitely in Soul Survivor and Knightmares. I dunno, they just hit it perfectly right at those points. Too bad not many other episodes had the same style.

Skav--the music that hypnotizes Michael can be found on the promo CD soundtrack that also contains the score from "Diamonds Aren't A Girl's Best Friend." You can sometimes find it on eBay from time to time. I have a copy of the CD but the guy who sold it to me told me it was an original and when I got it, it wasn't. It was CD-R with a photocopy of the CD cover but it does have all the CD tracks on it, including that one. Anyway, do some searching and I'm sure you can get one for a decent price. :-)
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:29 am

Thanks, KF, what is the actual name of the CD? Or is it just simply called 'promotional CD'?

I keep searching up on programs such as Kazaa but get nowhere.

But at least I'm on a track now.

Skav

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:38 pm

Skav--Yeah, the CD has no title except "Original TV soundtrack Knight Rider" and I found one on eBay today. The link is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1981189989 Have fun, it's a great soundtrack and hopefully,you'll get the genuine article!

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:59 pm

Thanks for the link. I recognise that ST now. I've put a bin on it. I'm new to ebay but hopefully I've done everything right.

thanks again.

Skav

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:11 pm

KFCreator wrote:One thing I've noticed about the music though is that there was a noticeable changeover in the episode where KITT's voice modulator changes from the square to the LED bars.
"Hearts of Stone", IIRC. I don't know that there was necessarily a connection between the change in voice modulators and the change in music composers, but you're right in your assessment of the music's direction as a whole during the run of the series.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:45 pm

Actually, that was the episode where the music went from Stu Phillips to Don Peake. (If I remember correctly)

Knightimmortal

Keon
Volunteer

Post by Keon » Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:45 am

Hi everyone, just to let you know I e-mailed STU PHILLIPS a couple of weeks ago and asked him why he only composed the pilot and and the next 12 episodes of Knight Rider. His response was Glen Larson asked him to join him at Twentieth Century Fox to compose scores for a new show (at the time) called "THE FALL GUY". "Hearts of Stone" was when they changed producers. Once Glen Larson left the new executive producer Robert Foster had to find his own composer, and obviously he chose DON PEAKE. I also asked Mr. Phillips what was his opinion on Don's writing and he said he didn't have too much to do with him and that he wasn't to impressed with his writing. So the new voice box for KITT in Heart's of Stone may have been also a decision that Robert Foster made. I think Glen Larson's name always was shown at the end because he still had some say in final scripts.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:01 pm

Yep, this is information that you can find in the Knight Rider Legacy book.

And Larson actually didn't have much to do with the show after Foster came in and took over, which came after R.A. Cinader passed away. They kept his name on the show because 1) he was the creator, and 2) he was still the executive producer, which means that he kept funnelling money into it.

Knightimmortal

Karan
Recruit

Post by Karan » Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:21 am

i think my all time favorite KR music sequence is the one in Kitt vs Karr,the part just after KARR notices the pacemaker in that old guy,and then the next sequence shows Michael questioning locals bout KARR..love the music there!:)

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Mon Dec 23, 2002 9:32 am

I e-mailed Stu a couple of times trying to get some good Knight Rider score, but he said sorry, not a flat out no, but sorry. Maybe i should pester him more. :D
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.