12 inch Ertl KITT diecast

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Firefox
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Firefox » Fri Apr 05, 2002 3:59 pm

Does anyone have any more details on this item I saw on Ebay?

Is the dash very detailed?

At a foot long it ought to be!

Thanks.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Apr 05, 2002 4:26 pm

I have 2 other Ertl cars, 8" and 3" I'd guess. Neither of them have a Knight Rider dash. They have a regular dashboard with a round steering wheel. It's pretty obvious that they took existing Trans Am toys and repackaged them ever so slightly to sell them as KITT. There may be more detail on the larger car however.

Mike

VaKnightRiderFan
Stranger

Post by VaKnightRiderFan » Fri Apr 05, 2002 7:28 pm

I'm not sure about the 12 inch Ertl Diecast. However I do have a 1:25 Scale of KITT made by AMT Ertl. Of course, it's a model kit. It's challenging because you have to paint it and glue it. Believe me, it's a pain doing both of those things. If you want one, just go to your local hobby shop; it should be there. Best place to go is Hobby Town USA. If not, then go to [url=http://www.modelcarkits.com,]www.modelcarkits.com,[/url] go to online catalog, and type Knight Rider on the keyword search.

CK
Operative

Post by CK » Fri Apr 05, 2002 8:02 pm

AAaaarrgh!@*!! I put one of those models together & it was a pain in the *** Of course I was a lot younger then but still it was a real work of "art". Kept it though.

BabsBunny
Rookie

Post by BabsBunny » Fri Apr 05, 2002 9:50 pm

I don't have a model, but I'd like to get one.. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

So far the only replica I've seen thast has the correct dash is my Baby K.I.T.T. (that new Corgi one) But the scanner doesn't look right.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sat Apr 06, 2002 3:56 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Pajaro:
<STRONG>I have 2 other Ertl cars, 8" and 3" I'd guess. Neither of them have a Knight Rider dash. They have a regular dashboard with a round steering wheel. It's pretty obvious that they took existing Trans Am toys and repackaged them ever so slightly to sell them as KITT. There may be more detail on the larger car however.

Mike</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have managed to find all the ERTL cars but sadly Mike, the detail is no better at the larger scale. The 1/32 seems better to me as it has Goodyear tires with the bowling bowl wheels. The Kenner toys had much more effort and detail put into them....which never came to the UK [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

CPJones
Stranger

Post by CPJones » Sat Apr 06, 2002 3:57 am

I have this same model made by the ETRL company which I got as a kid. It was in KnightRider packaging. I can't remember having to assemble it, but it was years ago!! Unfortunately, the dash and steering wheel are standard Trans Am, and there is very little detail on the car's interior. The wheels don't even look right. It comes with just a sticker for the scanner. Only buy it if it has the original packaging, because without the box, there's nothing KnightRider about it!

Chris

CK
Operative

Post by CK » Sat Apr 06, 2002 11:07 am

That doesn't sound like Knight Rider period. Sounds to me like somebody trying to make a fast buck off the show's fame.

And Bab's, once in a great while I still see those model kits in hobby stores & toy stores. Just keep your eyes wide open! [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

BabsBunny
Rookie

Post by BabsBunny » Sat Apr 06, 2002 9:02 pm

*grins* I'll have to do that. So far I've seen lots of General Lees, but no KITT..:P

Ah well...

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Apr 08, 2002 1:54 pm

What about the Japanese Knight Rider toy ive seen on ebay.I think thats the most realistic scaled model of kitt out there.

Firefox
Volunteer

Post by Firefox » Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:39 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Knight Racer:
<STRONG>What about the Japanese Knight Rider toy ive seen on ebay.I think thats the most realistic scaled model of kitt out there.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would say it was better then the Corgi or the AMT model? Those two both have the KITT dash.

wilton knight
Stranger

Post by wilton knight » Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:53 pm

that picture is obviously just a ta with knight rider stickers on it, the seats are black, and the nose is the original unextended shape...

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:52 pm

The best all arround (in detail and proportion) is the Knight 2000 voice car with the michael knight figure. My dad had a 83 TransAm (it was a pace car replica) And i compared it to the real TA and everything thats on the TA is on Kitt (execpt for the factory dash, and nose [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ). It even had the gas cap door in the proper place. I suggest you guys who dont have one to check on ebay. It may be expensive, but its worth it to have the best KITT in your collection (next to having a drivable replica [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

PS my first post YAY [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: Dave Knight ]

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Tue Apr 09, 2002 10:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sarfraz:
<STRONG>

Agreed...if it were not for the dash but the car has the right proportions and a shiny black coat along with the subtile red light.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you saying there is an actual light (red piece of plastic) incorporated with the car (like the Kenner car) and not just a sticker.

I ask becuase I've ben wondering and am considering buying one of these Hot wheels off eBay.

[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: krfan1 ]

BabsBunny
Rookie

Post by BabsBunny » Tue Apr 09, 2002 10:54 pm

I thought the kenner one had a sticker too!

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Tue Apr 09, 2002 11:36 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Babs Bunny:
<STRONG>I thought the kenner one had a sticker too!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I meant the talking Kenner car. Yes, the 1\25 scale KITT did have a sticker.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Wed Apr 10, 2002 12:50 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Knight Racer:
<STRONG>What about the Japanese Knight Rider toy ive seen on ebay.I think thats the most realistic scaled model of kitt out there.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed...if it were not for the dash but the car has the right proportions and a shiny black coat along with the subtile red light.

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:30 am

the talking KITT from kenner has a metalic red decal for the scanner and it looks pretty authentic to me [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] . Im still jazzed that I have it in my collection [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] .